Ruby.

on December 10, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 14 comments by

fieldSo I’m in Chicago.

Remember that five of my eight jobs are portable. So I’m working. Don’t worry about that.

And after lunch yesterday, Betsy, Lyndsay, and I went to the Field Museum.

[I like museums. I like them so much that I handed Anita the iPhone over to Betsy and said, “You keep this for a while. I just want to look.” Sometimes my friends double as my mother. No biggie.]

First big moment: Sue the T-Rex. She’s huge. But I didn’t say that to her face because honestly, skeleton or not, it’s rude to tell a girl how big she is. But it was super cool.

We walked through for about an hour and ended up in the fine jewelry department. I don’t think they call it that, but I do.

I was born in July. The ruby is my birthstone and I’ve always loved it. Mainly because people tell you to love your birthstone. So as we walked around and looked at the different gems, I kept one eye out for the ruby. Cause she and I have been friends for, give or take, 29 years.

I’ve never researched rubies. I have no idea why. But I smiled when I read the information explaining what makes rubies unique. (This is from the Field Museum website.)

As corundums, ruby and sapphire share the same basic chemical composition and crystal formations. Impurities merely create different colors of varieties of the stone.

Annie = ruby. And it sorta makes sense. Cause a lot of times it seems that all I can see are my impurities, my imperfections, my flaws.

This fact could be depressing: you mean to tell me that the things that are WRONG are what decide its color?!?

Poor Ruby. You deserve better than to be named by your flaws.

Or. Maybe not.

To me, for some reason, this was deeply hopeful. The things in me that I dislike [laundry list to be provided upon request], may actually be the things that make me beautiful.

And I like that they use the word “merely.” Like, “impurities are not that big of a deal- in fact, it just helps us pick the name.”

As I stood there in my Chicago uniform [hat on my head, sweater, coat, two pair of gloves and a scarf], I was reminded that my impurities might merely be part of what makes me unique. Might be part of God’s lovely redeeming plans in my life. Might be what eventually makes me whole.

And that gives me hope.

___________

Could you use a little more hope? Head to BlogNosh Magazine and see what others are saying.

1. Deanna
    posted on Dec 10, 2009 at 6:37 AM  |  reply

Love the analogy. “merely flaws”–love this!

2. posted on Dec 10, 2009 at 7:12 AM  |  reply

That’s beautiful, Annie.

And I saw the weather for Chicago!
    12 degrees for the high today??? 2 degrees for the low tonight??? You Southern girls best keep bundled up.

3. Merideth Schoolcraft
    posted on Dec 10, 2009 at 7:58 AM  |  reply

I love what you said Annie. I sit here thinking about your words and wish I could fully believe that for myself, but I have a real hard time with those “impurities”. You’ve given me something to ponder, though. So glad for the hope you found in this experience.
    When you mentione the things you don’t like about yourself “laundry list sent upon request”…Part of me laughed,and part of me wondered if you would seriously do that if someone asked. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

4. Kathrine
    posted on Dec 10, 2009 at 9:30 AM  |  reply

I love your thoughts. Your brain is absolutely magnificent! You should write a column for someone/something important… something that TONS of people have access to read. Although as I say this, I can’t think of any columns I actually read… so perhaps I just think you are a great enough writer to write some fancy column somewhere special, however I’m grateful that you prefer to blog instead… because I do read that. More for me. 🙂 p.s. I like your thoughts on Sue.

5. posted on Dec 10, 2009 at 9:50 AM  |  reply

So insightful! I shared this with my 13yo who is a perfectionist and struggling with her flaws. Oh and her birthstone is sapphire. Too cool. Thank you for sharing. God bless.

6. posted on Dec 10, 2009 at 10:50 AM  |  reply

This is beautiful! I love it and it totally made my day!

7. posted on Dec 10, 2009 at 11:57 AM  |  reply

You’re a good one, Miss Annie. I love you for the colors you are, and I’m not the only one! 🙂

8. posted on Dec 10, 2009 at 12:35 PM  |  reply

A gorgeous insight and so well put. Perfect for this season (and every one)!

9. Debs
    posted on Dec 10, 2009 at 2:08 PM  |  reply

Annie, I loved this post…for I am a “ruby” too….merely flawed, polished by continual grace! Ruby…red…like the blood of Christ,yet another wonderful thought!

10. posted on Dec 10, 2009 at 2:46 PM  |  reply

My sister’s birthstone is sapphire, but she chooses Ruby because they’re “related”. I didn’t realize how until your post. Rubies always remind me of the Proverbs 31 woman…

“A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.” (I like to substitute wife for woman.)

What we consider our flaws turn out to be our greatest assets. My temper in the face of injustice used to get the best of me. Temper = flaw. I’ve learned to take that temper and use it for good.

We see flaws. God only ever sees the good that will come.

11. posted on Dec 10, 2009 at 2:53 PM  |  reply

Oh that’s absolutely beautiful!!! 😀

12. posted on Dec 11, 2009 at 7:56 PM  |  reply

Oh, that does give me hope.

13. posted on Dec 13, 2009 at 2:38 PM  |  reply

I love the way you share your heart, Annie; the way you see the world around you. My favorite lines of this post? “That’s just like God. To take the ugly and make it beautiful. To take the impure and make it holy.”

If those things don’t leave you with hope, I can’t imagine what would!

{{thanks for joining in the carnival!}}

14. Sharon
    posted on Dec 21, 2009 at 10:38 AM  |  reply

My birthstone is Saphire and the description also fits myself. Enjoying your blog very much.