I’m Always Me: Book Nerd Edition.

on January 25, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 29 comments by

I spent my Sunday afternoon sitting on the couch reading a book.

Well. Officially. Reading a book on my Kindle.

[I know. Santa showed up in Nashville and left this for me. And I freaked. Cause hello. It's a Kindle and I love to read and hello I love technology.] [No Kip joke needed.]

I’m reading a book for our book club called The Help. If you haven’t read it, you. must. It’s wonderful. [My mom and my friend Carrie told me to read it- I didn't listen. I should just listen.]

And while reading the day away, I remembered what it was like to be me. In 1987. And in 1993. And in 2001. And every year in between.

Because I. Love. To. Read.

It’s been a long time since I found a book that was this irresistible [also see: most books by Mary DeMuth, Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself, Christy, and Harriet the Spy]. But here are the signs that I have found such a book:

1. I insist on reading while drying my hair which slows the process down significantly. And could add a full HOUR to my morning. It’s a sickness.
  2. I stay up WAY.LATE. reading every night and I usually wake up with my book (or Kindle) still tucked under my arm.
  3. I set timers/alarms. “Ok, Annie. At 4:20 you HAVE to get up and fold your laundry.” 4:20 comes, I keep reading.
  4. I take the book everywhere with me and read when I should be making friends. [Which is awesome with the Kindle because it syncs to my iPhone. Can you even BELIEVE that? They. Sync. The Jetsons have nothing on us.]
  5. When I was little, I used to read in the tub. And I would read for so long that I used up all the hot water in the house. Parents = not too pleased.

I grew up in a house where we didn’t watch TV. Reading was my main form of entertainment. And playing outside. And so I read. A lot.

And sometimes I forget that the girl that used to use up all the hot water and drop her book in the tub, the girl who carried a book in the car everywhere she went, the girl who devoured books until deep into the night…..

that girl is still here.

She sometimes gets covered up with emails, dinners out with friends, television shows, or being an adult in general, but I enjoyed being Book Nerd Annie again Sunday. And probably today. And on my flight to LA on Wednesday.

Cause I just remembered how much I like Book Nerd Annie.

1. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:14 AM  |  reply

ok. I had to go check out what was this ‘kindle’ thing I’ve been hearing so much about, and now I totally want one….. that thing is awesome!!!

2. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:16 AM  |  reply

and yes…. I love to read too!!! (I like Book Nerd Mo as well) :)

3. Kathleen
    posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 7:13 AM  |  reply

please be careful with that thing in the tub.

4. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 7:17 AM  |  reply

Fellow book nerd. The last one I read that you recommended was Peace Like a River and I couldn’t put it down.

The Kindle. Well, my husband works in the paper industry so I have mixed emotions about that little gadget. Glad you love it.

5. Face
    posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 9:07 AM  |  reply

You mean I’m not the only one who reads while drying my hair???
    If you’re not in the middle of a fab book…. Trivial Pursuit cards are ALSO fun to ready while you’re drying your hair.
    I mean. I’ve just heard.

Cute shoes, BTW.

6. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 9:36 AM  |  reply

I’m such a book nerd, too! I heart the library, though. I am not sure about this kindle business. I mean, you don’t really get to smell the books?!?! Yeah, I’m THAT book nerd.

The Help is on my to-read list and has been for a while. I think I’ll go now and put it on hold at the library so I can read while drying my hair and in the bath tub until I’m shriveled like a prune!!

7. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 9:49 AM  |  reply

OH man, you are killing me.

First, on a small scale, The Help is on hold for me at the library. I’m #36 on the list.

And I really want a Kindle.

Your post may have just cost me a bundle.

Your Sunday sounds divine!

8. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:41 AM  |  reply

I was a book nerd. My parents had to make me go outside and play and sometimes they wouldn’t even let me take a book.

When book nerds grow up they become book addicts. I am one. The local Borders is closing. They had books on sale for 65% OFF!!! I was just going to get the one book, honest. I did only have to buy one more bookshelf, so…

I was #25 on my library’s list for The Help. That seemed too long so I just ordered it from my dealer, aka Amazon.com

9. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:43 AM  |  reply

I love to read in the tub! It turned into something I use to do all the time as a little girl–to when I do get to do it, it is a special treat that I no longer take for granted! Miss you my friend!

10. Renee
    posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM  |  reply

Annie, dear! I am such a book nerd that I have the “first generation” Kindle. When I first saw it on Oprah about three years ago I splurged and bought one for myself for my birthday….best birthday present EVER! I still have to go to the Barnes and Noble to “smell” the books (and, if I’m honest…the coffee) ’cause a good book ain’t the same without the coffee, or your feet in the sand on the beach! Love you and miss you…

11. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:56 AM  |  reply

Huge book nerd too. I’m not sure how I feel about the Kindle though. I just so love having a book in my hands. I’ve loved books since I was tiny, long before I could read. I’d somehow feel I wasn’t being faithful if I bought a Kindle. :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll have to check that out.

12. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM  |  reply

Oh this totally describes me. Isn’t it wonderful when you find a book that does that to you?!

13. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:38 AM  |  reply

After I finished college, I flat refused to read for years. Plus, I never really found anything that just captured my attention. And then one day I did. And I checked out for three days until the thing was finished. Husband was totally amused. Now he delights in buying me that one book that will render me useless for a day. Fortunately for him, it doesn’t come along often, otherwise he’d get tired of doing all the work around here. I love book nerd days. Love them.

14. Kimberly
    posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:55 AM  |  reply

I have a first generation Kindle and have LOVED every moment I’ve owned it.

If you’re going to read in the tub, at the pool, etc., place the Kindle in a large Ziplock baggie in case you drop it in water. It’s easy to read through the bag.

15. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 12:11 PM  |  reply

I’m a book nerd too, and I STILL read in the tub and use up all the hot water :) Husband = not too pleased …

16. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM  |  reply

I am a book nerd, although it took me until I was an adult to realize, accept, and be proud to be one.

17. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 3:05 PM  |  reply

I’m so jealous you have a Kindle . . . and I’m totally a book nerd too – always have been. It made me not so popular when I was in middle school, but I’m over that now and have embraced my reading-loving ways :-)

18. Heidi S
    posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:30 PM  |  reply

Oh my goodness! I feel like you just wrote an article about ME! I feel the same way about reading and I LOVE finding books that cause all those “signs” that you mentioned!

19. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM  |  reply

um…. are you trying to tell me that you don’t read in the bath tub anymore? this is incredibly disturbing to me.

especially since I did that on Saturday….

20. Jennifer
    posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 8:17 PM  |  reply

Hello, fellow book nerd. I also read while drying hair…it’s a great way to start the day! My husband will sometimes come home, take one look around and say, I see you’ve been reading today. I keep a list of recommended books to intersperse between the ones I just happen upon. My next goal….a kindle. (The little green monster just reared his ugly head again…a kindle and the Grammys…I want to be you…but since I can’t I love lving vicariously through you. So happy for your exciting happenings!) Love and hugs!

21. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM  |  reply

i’m a book nerd too.

you should have seen what happened when i read the twilight series.

(and now, don’t hate me for that)

no clothes folded. no dishes washed. i kept the books in my purse

i know. it’s an illness.

22. posted on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:04 PM  |  reply

i also take hours to dry my hair when I’m in the middle of a good book :)
    glad to know I’m not the only one.

23. posted on Jan 26, 2010 at 11:16 AM  |  reply

I love my Kindle. Recently used it while flying and had lots of people ask about it.

And I’m a book nerd too. When I was little, my parents would lock me out of the house to make me play instead of read. But I fixed them. I learned to read while riding my bike.

24. Jennifer
    posted on Jan 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM  |  reply

OH! that was the first book I read on my new Kindle!! I LOVED that book!! What a fantastic read! I love to read!

25. posted on Jan 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM  |  reply

I was that girl too :-) The only time in my life I was grounded was because of reading when I was supposed to be doing my schoolwork…my parents stapled cloth over my bookshelves for a month.

26. posted on Jan 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM  |  reply

Oh, yay! I’ve been lurking in the shadows for a little bit, but upon reading this post and truly discovering a kindred spirit, I had to emerge. :)

When I was younger and the flashlight-under-the-covers didn’t work, there was always the ruse of “going to the bathroom” (a legitimate reason to have a light on…). I’d just tuck a book in the waistband of my pants, and two hours later…..

27. posted on Jan 26, 2010 at 5:19 PM  |  reply

I really do love to read. The time just seems to slip away most days, which makes it tough. Currently, I’m in the process of having to read 16 middle school books in 8 weeks for school, so I’m pretty much reading all the time!

28. posted on Jan 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM  |  reply

Oh my goodness, I JUST started reading The Help yesterday! Crazy! I am so engrossed already, though I’m not very far in to it yet.

29. posted on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:44 PM  |  reply

Awww! Yay for awesome Book Nerdiness!!! I was exactly the same growing up… no television in our house, so I read A LOT. Still do! I would actually make time in between college classes and homework to fit in a “pleasure book” and my friends thought I was nuts. :) Now I mostly read blogs, but still find time here and there for a good novel.

Have you read the Artemis Fowl books? They’re hilarious, infectious, and creative. :) Check ‘em out!