Top 5 Friday: Disney songs.

on February 10, 2012 in Sounds good to me., TOP 5 FRIDAY with 18 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

See. Here’s what is about to happen.

Both the … Ahem, all the men that read my blog are going to leave because we are talking about Disney. But I’ve really got my hopes up that as the lay-deez load up the comment section today, a few dudes will add their thoughts as well. Seriously. Guys. Do it. Please?

On to the post…

The other day I needed a pandora station that meant nothing to my adult sensibilities. I needed not to run across a song that elicited any emotional response. [Sister was spent - you were there.]

So I typed in “Disney songs” and for the next six hours [no joke], I enjoyed some of the dearest songs of my childhood. And I began to think about which of the Disney songs are my favorite.

Hence. This Top 5 Friday list- my favorite Disney songs.

. . . . .

1. Lavender Blue

When I wrote a eulogy for my grandmother’s funeral, I wrote about ballet dancing in her sewing room to this song. And it has held a special place in my heart ever since.

. . . . .

2. Part of Your World

All I have to say is, “Look at this stuff, isn’t it neat…” and you could probably finish the rest of the song. Great great song. It’s just one of those that every American knows.

Also Ariel? She had gadgets and gizmos of plenty. But who cares? No big deal. She wanted more.

[You're welcome.]

. . . . .

3. Stay Awake

All. Time. Favorite. Disney. Movie. And this is just one of the many wonderful songs from this musical. Another favorite is “I Love To Laugh” because I, in fact, love to laugh. This song also makes me think of my favorite family whom I don’t get to see anymore. [We tried to skype one time while I was in Scotland and I couldn't stop crying.... so... that's unfortunate.]

. . . . .

4. Beauty & the Beast

Do you love or do you love? I know. It’s the jam. Angela Lansbury is amazing.

. . . . .

5. A Whole New World

Don’t you dare close your eyes.

Also, for realz- does it still amaze anyone that Steve from Full House is the voice of Aladdin? 8th grade Annie thought that was the coolest because as the oldest of 3 daughters, I TOTALLY related to DJ Tanner. Probably still do. Candace Cameron Bure, let’s be friends.

And now we’re totally off topic. Welcome to what it is like to be in my head. [read: obnoxiously ping-pongish]

. . . . .

Things I’m not going to tell you: how my 3rd grade boyfriend sang “A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes” to me in the lunch line, how “Not in Nottingham” makes me tear up, or how I wished my name was “Truly Scrumptious.”

YOUR TURN!

What are your favorite Disney songs? I know I left out a ton of gems… oh the stresses of only being allowed to pick five.

1. posted on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM  |  reply

Yay! Music again. And Disney music at that!

I love Burl Ives. He reminds me of my granddaddy.

Not in any particular order because I love them all:

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah from Song of the South. (Tough to leave Laughing Place behind.)

You’ll Be in My Heart – Tarzan
    Phil Collins wrote amazing songs for that movie.

I Wanna Be Like You from The Jungle Book. (Bare Necessities is close.)

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious from Mary Poppins. I always prided myself on the fact that I could spell that word in third grade.

Beauty and the Beast.

Now I have to say I really like the songs from Tangled, When Will My Life Begin and See the Light, but they aren’t in the classic ranks yet.

2. Laura
    posted on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:55 AM  |  reply

Disney is one of my love languages. “There goes the baker with his tray like always…” shall i continue? I def can quote the first 12 mins of that movie.
    ANYTHING from Newsies makes my heart skip a beat, especially if Christian Bale is involved.
    I sang a duet (as Aladdin unfortunately) of “A Whole New World” in my fourth grade talent show, followed the next year by “Never Had a Friend Like Me.”

3. posted on Feb 10, 2012 at 8:11 AM  |  reply

I remember Dtv…were’t those the days! Sigh- I wish kids had that kind of stuff that we did back then.
    I love the Little Mermaid song! That one and kiss the girl were my favs from the movie.

I don’t know if I can pick my favs since it’s been so long since I’ve watched most of these but I now want to go back and watch all of them!!!!

4. posted on Feb 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM  |  reply

Oh, I DO love Disney movies and music. I don’t know if I can pick 5, but here are a few:

Baby Mine, from Dumbo
    Under the Sea, from The Little Mermaid
    A Whole New World, from Aladdin
    anything from Mary Poppins

5. shireen eldridge
    posted on Feb 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM  |  reply

Oh my…are we in this world now or what! We just watched the Jungle Book the other day and I forgot how many great songs are in that one! My personal favorite is “I wanna be like you” that the monkey’s sing. Also, have you seen Tangled yet? That one has some great songs too! Personally, I am a fan of all the songs on The Lion King.

6. posted on Feb 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM  |  reply

I am a HUGE Disney fan but seriously it is hard to find anyone who isn’t. But my 5 songs are:
    Part of Your World – Little Mermaid
    A Whole New World – Aladdin
    Colours of the Wind – Pocahontas
    I Won’t Say I’m In Love – Hercules
    All of Mary Poppins

7. Gwen
    posted on Feb 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM  |  reply

I have a super soft spot for Something There from Beauty and the Beast. And really every song from the Lion King (especially Can You Feel the Love Tonight). Oh, Be Our Guest and Kiss the Girl and Friend Like Me. And I clearly have a problem!

8. Shana
    posted on Feb 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM  |  reply

I love you Annie. This post made my day! So hard to pick 5, but here goes:

1)Part of Your World
    2)Once Upon A Dream
    3)A Whole New World
    4)Colours of the Wind
    5)Belle (we named our sweet Golden Retriever after her)

9. posted on Feb 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM  |  reply

Somebody hold my man card a second.

So … Disney … not only for the ladies! After all … Mickey is a dude. Walt is a dude. Alladin and the genie are dudes. TRON for cryin’ out loud … DUDE movie!!!

But the music … classical stuff. I will attempt to pick five. In no particular order …

1) Bare Necessities/I Wanna Be Like You (Jungle Book) I couldn’t decide.
    2) Friend Like Me (Alladin)
    3) Hakuna Matata (The Lion King)
    4) Step In Time (Mary Poppins)
    5) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

10. posted on Feb 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM  |  reply

My niece-in-love Anna is obsessed with Beauty and the Beast right now. We watch it repeatedly so I’m having a hard time remembering any Disney songs that aren’t in that movie. Luckily, Beauty and the Beast is my second favorite Disney movie, right after Cinderella.

Also, concerning the menfolk? My best friend and her husband had a new community group member over for dinner the other night and he was a big fan of Disney movies and says that as soon as he has kids, they’ll be buying all the DVDs.

11. merideth
    posted on Feb 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM  |  reply

Chipper’s comment above about someone holding his man card for him cracked me up!
    OK, you already picked some of my favorites from the little mermaide, aladin, and beauty and the beast. I like the ones you mentioned a long with friend like me(love the geni in that movie. he’s awesome!) and kiss the girl(love sabastian too. Not sure if I spelled his name right). Like Shireen I like the music from the lion king, too. I also love Cinderella, and my favorite song is the one the fairy godmother does. Probably won’t spell this right either, but it’s bipidi bopodi boo. When you wish upon a star is good too. I have never seen jungle book, but now I think I’m going to have to. You are making me want to watch the Disney movies I have. I think it’s time to revisit them this weekend.

12. posted on Feb 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM  |  reply

I love getting to post top fives! ok, before I post my top five, I have to share this version of “stay away” with you. caveat…it’s a little creepy but i giggle every time i see it!

now, onto my totally not already thought out top five disney songs (that’s a downright lie).
    1. something there, beauty and the beast.
    2. scales and arpeggios, the aristocats
    3. so this is love, cinderella
    4. carry the banner, newsies
    5. part of your world, Aladdin

runner ups: sweet nightingale, cinderella, happy working song, enchanted, the tiki room song, and trashin’ the camp, tarzan!

phew…ok, now i need to go listen to all of these! Thanks, Annie, for always making Fridays fun!!

13. posted on Feb 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM  |  reply

There are so many favorites, but I’ve just gotten my niece obsessed with Beauty & the Beast (my fave disney movie) and she loves the song Something There because both Belle & the Beast sing. She is 20 months old so it is pretty funny to see her dancing & trying to figure out how to sing. Of course everyone else is annoyed, because we have to listen to it on repeat! ;)

14. Taylor C
    posted on Feb 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM  |  reply

As per your twitter demand (and as one of the guys who read your blog)

1. Circle of life
    2. Whole new World
    3. Hakunah Matata
    4. Under the Sea
    5. High HO

15. posted on Feb 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM  |  reply

ONLY FIVE?!?!?! Note that these are subject to change at any musical moment, but here goes a try anyway…

1) Part of Your World ~ Jodi Benson’s voice is outstanding. I was ticked that they didn’t make her sing in Enchanted.

2)Beauty and the Beast ~ There’s just no denying that this is my favorite Disney fairytale.

3) I Just Can’t Wait to be King ~ Not going to lie… I have the Broadway soundtrack and I sing this song at the top of my lungs while driving.

4) Colors of the Wind ~ Something about that song stirs my spirit.

5) The Bare Necessities ~ So carefree and fun.

16. posted on Feb 16, 2012 at 10:25 AM  |  reply

SO love this post! And I’m late to the party,sorry:P
    1.) bare necessities- jungle book
    2.) beauty and the beast
    3.) whole new world- aladdin
    4.) oliver and company- you and me, or the song georgette sings or the new york song- love that movie
    5.) when you wish upon a star- pinocchio

17. posted on Feb 16, 2012 at 2:30 PM  |  reply

Totally did not know that was who did Aladdin’s voice. Color me surprised!