Gettin’ hit by the culture stick.

on March 16, 2011 in Nash-livin' with 15 comments by

(For starters, we will discuss Matt Wertz’s new album tomorrow [oh yes we will] because it is a beautiful piece of work.)

For today, I want to tell you about Adam and Wes and M&Ms and the Belcourt Theater.

I’m going to use Adam and Wes’s real names because you are going to totally be impressed with them by the end of this post and they are both single and I would love nothing more than two cultured single ladies to snatch these boys up due to the fact that I blogged about their high brow ways.

[They’re gonna kill me.]

Lyndsay and I deeply desire to be cultured and do artistic things around town. Adam and Wes have the same desire- they just actually DO the things. They are smart and fun and funny and kind and creative and they like to read and they love God and they are two of the dearest men in the world.

So over the weekend, I begged and pleaded for the boys to let me tag along to the Belcourt Theater where they are playing a series of Southern films. And, to be real honest, I actually selected the film we chose to see. [So what I’m saying is that I’m actually swinging the culture stick on this one.] I flipped through the options, reading the synopsis, and thought “The Sun Shines Bright” sounded like a great story.

The boys agreed.

So we found ourselves Tuesday night sitting boy / girl / boy in an almost empty movie theater [probably forty folks max], with a share size bag of M&Ms.

Then in a moment of pure cultured joy, the film started with the faint clicking sound of the old reels. Not a DVD but the old school film reels. It was amazing.

I haven’t watched a lot of movies set in an early 1900s Southern town. Hearing the characters reminisce about the Civil War, watching the beauty of a community living without social media, and just trying to mentally see the color scheme in a movie that is a black and white film reel- it was such a good time.

[The dresses. I just always wish I could see the color of the dresses. And there were these beautiful lanterns hanging outside during a party- I wanted to see the yellow glow. Sue me.]

At this point in the blog post, my mom and both of my sisters are shaking their fists at the screen because I have long been the Downs Daughter That Does Not Like Old Movies. But there was something different about this. This film sort of felt like a prequel to To Kill A Mockingbird- it had some of the same Southern elements, courthouse stuff, racial focus, and one of those good-guy-to-the-core kind of characters.

Like Adam and Wes… line up, ladies.

[They are literally never going to speak to me again.]

One of my favorite parts of this film is that somehow the actors convinced me that this one little Kentucky town really understands community. And I haven’t even told you about the soundtrack or when Judge Priest risks re-election to give a respectable funeral to a less than respectable woman.

It was a beautiful storyline.

And gosh darn it if I didn’t tear up a little bit when the band played Dixie at the end.

The best part? Seeing that old movie didn’t make me “cultured” per say, but it sure makes me appreciate a culture that used to be.

Great movie. Great friends. Great candy.

I loved it.

. . . . . .

Do you have a favorite old movie? Share on, friend.

1. posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 6:36 AM  |  reply

I’ll have to see if I can find tht movie somewhere. Sounds wonderful. (I want to know the colors of dresses in B&W movies, too.)

The Quiet Man and To Kill a Mockingbird have always been favorites. BUT I’m a song and dance girl at heart so Yankee Doodle Dandy (the biography of George M. Cohan) with James Cagney has to have the #1 spot. Although there are many others I won’t take up all the comment space with them!

2. posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 6:36 AM  |  reply

*that

3. posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 7:01 AM  |  reply

White Christmas

Arsenic and Old Lace

Harvey

Do you remember when the youth group went to see Spartacus at the Fox Theatre and Jim Cagle stood up and shouted out, “I am Spartacus?”

There is just something about an old movie in the theatre. So fun! I love that crackling sound, too!

4. Merideth
    posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 7:27 AM  |  reply

Annie, I’m usually like you with the old movies. Not necessarily just old one because there are some I’ve seen and liked. I can’t stand a lot of old westerns my dad watches, though. The movie you saw sounds interesting, I have to admit. One of my favorite Christmas movies is an old black and white. A Christmas Carol. It’s the really old one..I can’t think of which year it was or who the actor is that plays Scrooge. But, it’s the really old one. Anyway.
    You had me laughing, and curious, when you were talking about your guy friends and how they are going to kill you for talking about them. They sound like great guys and good friends. Reminds me of some Wesley guys we know. Glad you had fun at the movie!

5. BBB
    posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 7:51 AM  |  reply

Those dudes sound rad!

6. posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 8:25 AM  |  reply

My 2 favorite black and whites are:
    -Houseboat
    -The African Queen

Both are on Netflix too!

7. posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 8:25 AM  |  reply

AHHH! I love this! I just added this to my list of places to visit when I come to Nashville (Less than a month away!).

I know this probably didn’t fit into the super “old” category, but how could they have a lineup of southern movies without “Steel Magnolias”?? Funniest.movie.ever. “Ouiser, you sound almost chipper what happened today you run over a small child or something?”

Anyway – as far as old movies go “The Philadelphia Story” has to be number one. Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn, and Cary Grant. It doesn’t get any better! All the Katherine Hepburn/Spencer Tracey movies are great.

8. posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 8:25 AM  |  reply

I grew up with 2 parents that like old movies too…my sisters, I don’t recall them caring as much for them as I did.

But I love old musicals more than anything really, like Summer Stock, Singing in the Rain and all those.

My dad was no a B&W fan though, he lived with it most of his life and said after that he prefered color. :o)

9. posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 8:29 AM  |  reply

I’m definitely going to have to check out this Belcourt series. (I tend to fall in the category of people who want to experience Nashville culture, but just keep doing the same things every week.)
    I think my favorite old movies are Singing in the Rain and To Kill a Mockingbird, and Hitchcock movies are great, too.

10. Wes
    posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 10:15 AM  |  reply

Are you saying I have a racial focus? : )

11. posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 10:49 AM  |  reply

I grew up watching Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy movies. My aunt and mom LOVE old movies so we’d always watch together. These days the only old movie I watch consistently is White Christmas but your post made me nostalgic for the movies I grew up loving. I may have to track a few down!

I don’t see how your friends could be embarrassed by someone extolling their virtues. I’m just glad to hear that good, solid guys exist in Nashville:)

12. posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 2:58 PM  |  reply

I’ve always loved My Fair Lady – it’s not black & white old, but by now it is definitely old. My mom even bought the My Fair Lady Barbie dolls & they sit unopened in my closet. She never let me open them. It’s a tragedy.

13. posted on Mar 16, 2011 at 9:58 PM  |  reply

love love love old movies. so much.

all kinds.

and i love you. =)

14. posted on Mar 17, 2011 at 1:00 AM  |  reply

i used to think that “long ago” the world was in black and white because movies were in black and white. whoops!

Im a HUGE fan of audrey hepburn. I highly recommend Sabrina! =) also, since “you’ve got mail” is on of my top favorite movies, “the shop around the corner” and “in the good old summer time” were two originals that the idea for you’ve got mail came from.

15. posted on Mar 17, 2011 at 10:12 AM  |  reply