THAT’S what I call a weekend.

on September 26, 2011 in Dreams Coming True, Scotland with 9 comments by

It’s been a whirlwind couple of days and I’m so happy about it.

Friday morning, I popped down to London and visited for a bit with Grant and Lucy, some friends from UGA that are living there. It was fun and we talked through some cultural challenges we have all dealt with. [Just because we speak English certainly doesn’t mean we aren’t foreigners. We are. Big time.]

Then I met up with my bestie Betsy and her grandmother [henceforth called “Nonny”] and a bunch of Betsy-cousins. Nonny loves her some London and loves her granddaughters and loves me enough that she took us all to see Wicked.

Holy moly. Have you seen this show? I was dying of happy. I laughed. I teared up. I sighed. I mean, it was seriously some of the best singing I’ve ever heard.

I’m totally stinkin’ hooked on Rachel Tucker. My word that woman has got some pipes. And the storyline of Wicked is so smart. If you’ve not read the book or seen the play, I can’t recommend it enough.

So we all floated in amazement back to the hotel Friday night and then Betsy and I were up early on Saturday and back on the train up to Edinburgh!

[I am BESIDE MYSELF that one of my absolute besties in the world is seeing my Edin-life. It is such a joy and so kind of her and I’m having an absolute blast.]

We arrived just in time to get changed and head out the door with Esther to see ADELE.

Yes. The Adele.

I know. You’re freaking out. I am too, still, almost 40 hours later.

Here’s how it happened:

My very first Nash-friend Jason is the tour manager for The Civil Wars. [You may/may not remember Jason. Here’s my favorite post involving him. A refresher course in my two Jasons, if you will.] So The Civil Wars are doing a small tour through the UK including a stop in Edinburgh. I was like, “whoa. One of my Jasons AND one of my favorite bands coming to Edinburgh?”

And then I blacked out for a few minutes due to overwhelming gratitude.

So Jason offers tickets to The Civil Wars show because he knows I like them a lot and I’m all, “sure, can I get three- so Betsy and Esther can go too?” and he’s all, “Sure, but they’re just opening” and I’m all, “that’s cool. Who is the headliner?” and he’s all, “Adele.”

And then everything went black again.

You see, I was supposed to see Adele in Nashville in June with Betsy and then she got sick and rescheduled for OCTOBER and I was heartbroken to miss the show. And I think it is no exaggeration to say that Jesus brought that show [+ Betsy] to Edinburgh on Saturday night just for me.

[Well. Small exaggeration. Maybe.]

Anyways. So out of the kindness of Jason’s heart, we got three tickets. And we were thuh-rilled.

The Civil Wars put on an amazing show- too short, if you ask me, but they are openers and I respect that. Then the center of attention [for us at least] turned to an audience member standing beside Betsy who was so drunk she couldn’t stand up. And she was probably mid-40s? Super impressive, lady. Then she left. So that was good.

Then it was Adele. And O to the M to the GOSH. She was insane. I mean, every bit of emotion in the record was poured out on stage like some sort of offering. I haven’t been dumped lately and yet her heartache songs made me feel like getting all weepy. I didn’t… exactly.

And here is one of my favorite moments from the night. I couldn’t/wouldn’t pick a VERY favorite moment, but this was high ranking.

I mean, the backdrop with the lampshades? Don’t EVEN get me started.

So we floated home from that as well. And I’m still in awe. She is one talented human.

Then we had a lovely Sunday, including having the Crossroads girls over for Episode 2 of Downton Abbey. I didn’t float home after that, simply because we meet at my house.

But I would have. Oh yes. I would have.

Phew… good times, y’all. Good times.

How was your weekend?

1. posted on Sep 26, 2011 at 8:29 AM  |  reply

OMG! Adele! I’m so very jealous!!!!!! I want to see her so bad, and keep hoping that she’ll come close enough here that I can.

Wicked the musical is AMAZING isn’t! I’ve seen it twice now, because it really is that good.
    However I warn you the book and the musical are very, very different. To the extent I didn’t finish the book or enjoy what I did read.

Sounds like you had a perfect weekend.

2. Alicia M.
    posted on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:10 AM  |  reply

Wow, Adele, that’s crazy awesome!

ps- I know I probably shouldn’t, but I’m going to admit something… I dont particularly care for the civil wars. I miss Joy Williams being, well, Joy Williams… She changed. A lot.

But way more than that, you might call me crazy but I think their relationship is far too intimate. I know you have to be in sync to do what they do, but I’ve seen them
    together and performing and the way they act and look at each other, etc. it’s borderline innaporopriate.

3. Amy Carpenter
    posted on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:46 AM  |  reply

o to the m to the g. seriously, ADELE?! I am trying real hard not to be jealous right now!! and wicked? that’s so great, annie! my weekend consisted of teching a show that I’m in which goes up next week…definitely not as exciting as yours haha

4. posted on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM  |  reply

I had a great weekend but it doesn’t compare to seeing Adele AND the Civil Wars! So jealous. I practically cried when her Ryman show sold out before I could get tickets. Oh, and totally agree with your thoughts on Wicked. I saw it twice while I still lived in the Chicago suburbs and I’d see it a million more times if I could. Simply amazing show. It’s coming to TPAC and I’m debating how I can make it work.

5. Merideth
    posted on Sep 26, 2011 at 1:38 PM  |  reply

You’re making me wish I was going to Scotland to visit you. My weekend was very quiet and uneventful. Watched Georgia win, and slept in both Saturday and Sunday. So, not bad, but not exciting.
    I haven’t read wicked, but may have to. Loved the stage show of it.

6. Mel
    posted on Sep 26, 2011 at 2:03 PM  |  reply

Oh My Gosh! I found Civil Wars because of you, and I LOVE THEM. And then Adele – I just found her too, and to see both of them in person – I’m SO jealous. How fabulous for you!

7. posted on Sep 26, 2011 at 2:17 PM  |  reply

Are you serious? The Civil Wars, Adele and Wicked!?! I keep the player from the Wicked website playing when I get on a Wicked jag. I didn’t make it to the play when it was somewhat close and regret it. Maybe one day.

That is an amazing picture of you and your friends.

8. posted on Sep 26, 2011 at 6:07 PM  |  reply

Oh my goodness, I would have settled for just ONE day out of your weekend! That is awesome!

9. posted on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM  |  reply

Okay, so here is the plan. Let’s invent a time machine, travel back to last week. I will put myself in a box and mail myself to Scotland, then I will hang out with you all weekend. All of those things I love, except Downtown Abbey, I don’t know what that is. I guess I need to check it out!

All I did last weekend was grade papers and write lesson plans.