Day 22 :: The success side of courage.

on October 22, 2011 in 31 Days of Courage with 12 comments by

FYI. I am in Prague. Three of my best pals from my time at the Wesley Foundation in Athens are missionaries here. And I figured this is probably the best time to get to see their digs. SUCH a beautiful city! Have you been here? Anything I MUST see?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch [meaning America], this week has been very exciting for a couple of my friends. So I’ve shoved aside the scheduled post about courage to give you another post about courage.

That works out nicely.

Here’s the thing about Nashville. It’s full of good artists. And brave people. And brave artists.

You watch people work and work and work. Make art day after day. Write lyrics that are so raw and honest that they make you cringe. Sing past their easy place. Eat Ramen noodles and go on low attended tours. I’m telling ya, there are people all over that town who have spent their lives like this. Being brave as an artist [writer, actor, singer, etc] over and over and honestly, it rarely pays off.

But I have two stories to tell you today to remind you BE BRAVE. Because sometimes, you win big.

. . . . .

#1. Dave Barnes

Dave has been a singer/songwriter a long time. But this week marks a monumental moment.

Dave wrote the NUMBER ONE SONG IN COUNTRY MUSIC! And then he did a great thing by writing a blog post explaining songwriters and singers and how AMAZING this is that Blake recorded his song and took it to #1. Listen to the lyrics of God Gave Me You and you will hear courage woven throughout. It’s an amazing song… no wonder it is #1.

. . . . .

2. Mike Hobert

You may remember Mike – he screened a movie in Nashville that we all LOVED. He’s lived in LA for a long time, worked really hard, tried and tried again to get a break, and it has finally come.

Mike and his brother have created a TV show that got picked up by NBC. I’ll be sure to let you know when it is actually going to be on your television. But for now, this is terribly exciting.

. . . . .

So what am I saying today about courage? Courage means hard work. Courage means don’t quit. Sure, not many of our lives will involve having a #1 country song or being on NBC, but I think these are two amazing examples of men who were brave enough to do what their hearts wanted to do.

And on the stage of their lives, we are able to watch that courage pay off. I, for one, am grateful, because I am encouraged to keep being brave and trying hard and putting my art into the world.

On the success side of courage, it all seems worth it.

1. Amy
    posted on Oct 22, 2011 at 4:22 AM  |  reply

Hey there! Just thought it would be fun to be the first response! :)Thank you for this series-it has encouraged me so much. And thanks also for the link you gave earlier this month to Triple Braided-her posts have been so good. Have a great time in Prague!

• Annie
      posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:19 AM  |  reply

Prague was awesome- I’ll tell you more about it next week. 🙂

2. posted on Oct 22, 2011 at 5:37 AM  |  reply

I’m glad Blake hit #1 with the song, but I so love Dave’s version. Maybe because I know he wrote it for his wife. Have fun in Prague!

• Annie
      posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:19 AM  |  reply

Dave’s version is great, but Blake is exposing the world to that too! It’s awesome.

3. Kristi Kay
    posted on Oct 22, 2011 at 7:18 AM  |  reply

I read every word of Dave’s blog post – I am SO glad he cleared that up b/c I have been one of those people who hears that song on the radio and thinks, “Huh? That poser stole Annie’s friend’s song!” Totally have a new appreciation now. Good for him!!!

Love to the Hunts and Forbesy!!!!

• Annie
      posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:20 AM  |  reply

Right? It is such a weird world, that music industry thang. 🙂 But I love have Dave explained it in his blog post.

4. posted on Oct 22, 2011 at 12:43 PM  |  reply

I wondered when I heard it too! It’s so awesome 🙂
    I’ve always wondered what it’d be like to be a songwrter
    Dave is a lucky and talented guy

• Annie
      posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:20 AM  |  reply

Yes he is.

5. posted on Oct 22, 2011 at 4:34 PM  |  reply

I will confess that every time I hear someone talking about that song, I tell them they should listen to the songwriter’s cds 🙂 A million lifetimes ago (2005? 2006?) Dave came and did a concert at my college and ever since then my friends and I have been trying to convert everyone we know, ha!

• Annie
      posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:21 AM  |  reply

And it makes you want to research ALL your favorite songs and see who wrote them, doesn’t it?

Another reason I’m so proud of Lady Antebellum is that they write a huge majority of their stuff, like Dave. It’s amazing.

6. posted on Oct 23, 2011 at 12:49 AM  |  reply

Ahhh. This blog post is just what i needed to hear. I love how Brave you are Annie…all the way in another country trusting GOD ….AGAIN and AGAIN!!! Sending up some prayers fo you tonight.

• Annie
      posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:21 AM  |  reply

Thank you, friend. Can’t wait to see y’all when I get home next month.