Day 24 :: Eternal impact.

on October 24, 2011 in 31 Days of Courage with 9 comments by

Courage isn’t a complicated topic to write about. I mean, we all desire to be courageous and we all respect people that we think are brave.

But living life courageously is quite another thing.

As mentioned way back on Day 3, a lack of courage is nothing more than a lack of understanding. If you are afraid to be brave, you have forgotten one of these things:

1. Who you are. [That was Day 8.]
  2. Who loves you. [That was Day 17.]
  3. The eternal impact you can make on this world. [That’s today!]

Staying in Prague this weekend, I have watched my friends live a pretty brave life. A country that doesn’t speak English + one car + two toddlers = courage aboundeth. But I also think about my best friends living in Marietta. They are raising two toddlers each as well, and I think that takes a lot of bravery to stay home and work 24/7 to create an environment where Godly children can flourish.

Here’s what. My friends in Prague, moms in Marietta, Dave writing music, Lois making wise choices, and Queen Esther all have one thing in common. Their courageous choices are making an eternal impact.

It’s not a complicated concept. It’s just a hard one to remember. It’s not a pressure-filled concept, either. It’s just a reality.  The decisions you make don’t just affect you. Think about siblings. The older brother jumps off the second wooden step onto the cement sidewalk. The younger brother sees and thinks, “I can do that too.” And somehow, he does. The same thing happens all the time- I see someone else write a book, I think I can do it. I see someone else run a half-marathon, I think I can do it. I see someone else move to a foreign country, I think I can do it.

I see someone else trust God for finances, for a husband, for a job, for friends, for a future and I think, “then I will trust Him too.”

If I can watch you be brave in your world, then I can be brave in mine.

I have lots of hopes and dreams about this season in Edinburgh. But one of the top things I hope so much is that others will now be brave enough to serve God across the world. See, I watched someone else do it. I saw their courage and I saw that they survived :). They made an eternal impact on me. And everyone who reads these words or somehow chooses courage because of my life, they are a ripple effect of the people who impacted me.

We are eternal beings with eternal futures and we have the opportunity, here on this temporal Earth, to make an eternal impact.

Whether that is in your job, your family, or your mission field- its time to be brave. It’s time to realize that people are watching. It’s time to make the kind of eternal impact that will create a culture of courage.

I know this post feels serious and bossy [and long], but I must confess that I feel pretty passionate about this. We cannot keep living like our lives are just about us. They aren’t.

I don’t know what this looks like for you. I wouldn’t dare to guess. Maybe you don’t know either, and that’s okay. Ask God. Just ask. Just ask God for opportunities to be courageous and make an eternal impact and He will give them. I promise.

Be brave in your world and watch as that ripples through your community.

1. Amy
    posted on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:54 AM  |  reply

It’s fun being first! (helps that I am in your time zone) Anyway-your posts this month have been such an encouragement to me, and also challenging at times. I bought my train tickets for Thanksgiving in Edinburgh this weekend-I am both sad and happy that you will have gone home by then. Praying for you! 🙂

• Annie
      posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:17 AM  |  reply

I am sad that I’ll be gone by then, too. But thank you for your sweet comment, Amy.

2. posted on Oct 24, 2011 at 6:08 AM  |  reply

Thanks for the encouragement, Annie.

• Annie
      posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:17 AM  |  reply

My pleasure. 🙂

3. posted on Oct 24, 2011 at 7:11 AM  |  reply

Oh, you were so right – today’s post was JUST what I needed to be reminded of. I didn’t grow up in a Christian home – a church going home, but not one that understood salvation. As a young teenager I read Robin Jones Gunn’s Christy Miller series and realized what I was missing, why I felt an emptiness and longing in my heart. I asked Jesus into my heart and am forever grateful He chose me. But, sometimes, it’s hard being the only light in my family. And I feel such a burden and responsibility that sometimes feels like too much. But, He chose me – and, like you said yesterday, how can I say no to God’s calling for me? I know that my life reflects Christ in every decision we make in our home, in the foundation my husband and I have in our marriage, in the Word that we share, and in the lives that we live. And, someday, Lord willing, my children will come to know that same salvation and carry on the legacy of His love. That, to me, is worth it all. AND, after over 10 years of praying, I got to witness my sister accepting Christ as her savior. Completely out of the blue, she called me and asked me about salvation. I was in the middle of Target telling her what His word says about salvation. I wonder how many people heard and had a seed planted in their own heart? That’s the kind of life I want to live – that all of me is lived all for Him so that He is glorified. 🙂 (Sorry to ramble…I like to write 😉

• Annie
      posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:18 AM  |  reply

Amazing story, Stephanie! Wow. Thank you for sharing.

And just so you know, Christy Miller was one of my best friends in high school. 🙂 I LOVE those books.

• posted on Oct 29, 2011 at 10:18 PM  |  reply

I can’t wait for my daughter to read her stories too. Christy was definitely one of my best friends too. 🙂

4. posted on Oct 24, 2011 at 9:50 PM  |  reply

Such an encouragement Annie! I want a Godly environment to my son, I always send him to vacation bible school during summer and other any activities in our church.

• Annie
      posted on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:18 AM  |  reply

Yes! Amazing. Thanks for sharing, Kimberly.