Top 5 Friday: Nashville is delicious at noon.

on January 13, 2012 in Nash-livin', That's delish., TOP 5 FRIDAY with 21 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

I love when people email me questions about Nashville.

It is like when someone asks you to brag about your siblings or your kids or your own personal best friend’s accomplishments. Meaning, I love talking about Nashville.

When you lovelies come to town [and I love when you do], you always want to know where to eat, where to play, and where to hear the best music.

So today I’m going to tell you my favorite places to eat lunch.

See, we eat out a lot here. Like, A LOT. Because so many of us are singlets and we love to hang together, we have managed to find a few great lunch joints that don’t cost a pretty penny but are totes delish.

[Uh oh. Nash talk. Sorry.]

So in no order of preference, here are my top 5 favorite lunch spots in Nashville.

. . . . .

1. Baja Burrito

Similar to, but better than: Moe’s Southwest Grill

What I order: A chicken taco, chips, and a drink

Approximate cost: $5

Don’t miss: The roasted tomato salsa or the fruit tea.

Etc.: Do you know this thing I speak of? Fruit tea? It’s amazing and it is EVERYWHERE in this town. These restaurants will each woo you with their unique blends of tea, orange juice, other juices, and awesome. And Baja’s is one of the best.

. . . . .

2. McDougal’s

[The website is, well, lacking. But it gives you the address, which is necessary.]

Similar to, but better than: Zaxby’s

What I order: Grilled chicken salad, no red onions, ranch dressing on the side.

Approximate cost: $7

What not to miss: If you like spicy, they have great honey-spicy stuff. But as for me and my house, we will not eat spicy. Also, you get a tiny dollop of ice cream at the end. Don’t forget to get that thang.

. . . . .

3. Burger Up

Similar to, but WAY better than: Ted’s Montana Grill

What I order: The local salad with grilled chicken

Approximate cost: $11

What not to miss: Sweet potato fries. And fried pickles. And the woodstock burger. Dang, just eat there a few times and order something different every time. You won’t be mad about it.

. . . . .

4. Edley’s

Similar to, but better than: your average BBQ joint

What I order: They have a special every day, and I usually get coerced by my emotions to get that. But if not, the turkey BBQ sandwich is my choice.

Approximate cost: $8

What not to miss: The coleslaw. It’s vinegar based, which makes me terribly happy.

Etc: Edley’s is brand new, but has won our neighborhood over like whoa. I say that to say, I haven’t tasted everything there, but my friends certainly have [my people go there EVERY DAY], and it is all amazing.

. . . . .

5. The Grilled Cheeserie

Similar to, but better than: I mean, is there a comparison to a truck that drives around town and makes amazing grilled cheese sandwiches? Me thinks not.

What I order: The basic grilled cheese and tomato soup

Approximate cost: $8

What not to miss: The truck. It parks somewhere different every day, so you need to check their facebook page to see where they are parked. Tricky stuff, restaurants with wheels.

. . . . .

[If you are headed to town soon, you might also want to check out my Top 5 favorite Nashville brunch spots and my Top 5 favorite Nashville fine dining dinner restaurants. But I’m not the boss of you. Eat wherever you want. :) ]

YOUR TURN!

If you live in Nashville, share your favorite lunch spot!

If you live outside of Nashville, why not tell us the best lunch place in your town?

1. posted on Jan 13, 2012 at 8:41 AM  |  reply

I have bookmarked this page for future reference 🙂 I’ve not been anywhere yet really and never heard of those places! Oh, take it back. I’ve heard of the Grilled Cheeserie, but haven’t tried it yet. Brilliant idea!

• Bacon lover 122
      posted on Apr 06, 2013 at 11:18 AM  |  reply

Omg now I’m really hungry????

2. posted on Jan 13, 2012 at 8:58 AM  |  reply

basically, this is how i feel:
    1. yes (PINEAPPLE salsa? i mean, c’mon! yum.)
    2. yes
    3. yes
    4. haven’t been yet
    5. yes

3. posted on Jan 13, 2012 at 9:34 AM  |  reply

If I ever make it that way I’ll know where to go for a good meal.

4. cbed
    posted on Jan 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM  |  reply

420.

5. Laura
    posted on Jan 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM  |  reply

Calypso is one of my fave lunch spots and Mitchell’s deli in east Nash. I don’t know Mitchell, but his turkey avocado bacon sandwich is deeelish.

6. Amy
    posted on Jan 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM  |  reply

Now I’m homesick!! :)It’s not Nashville, but Puckett’s Grocery in Franklin is one of my favorites. They also have sweet potato fries!

7. merideth
    posted on Jan 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM  |  reply

Fried pickles? I really like pickles, but I don’t know about having them fried. The grilled cheeserie sounds awesome.

• posted on Jan 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM  |  reply

@merideth, Fried pickles are one of my most very favorite things to eat. You have to try them!

8. posted on Jan 14, 2012 at 12:37 AM  |  reply

Oh no! I’m so sad now. I miss Nashville so much and still have a dream to live there again one day. This could be 70% because of all the places I love to eat.

Burger Up. Oh. My. Goodness. Amazing. And to Merideth above me, if you have never had fried pickles before, try Burger Up’s, but never eat anyone elses after that, because you’ll be spoiled. Their fried pickles must be the best I’ve ever had.

SatCo isn’t on here, but I love it. Used to eat there at least twice a week. Probably b/c I lived just up the street and it was cheap and tasty. Oh, how I miss it. And I’m planning some Grilled Cheeserie next time I come to town for a visit.

Seriously. Super Nashy sad now. My heart hurts for the love of Music City.

9. posted on Jan 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM  |  reply

Nashville doesn’t have all the goods on restaurants!

1) Big Chow Grill (Galleria) or Chow Baby (West Midtown). Best Mongolian buffet. Peanut pesto and black bean sauces. Lordy.

2) Shane’s BBQ Shack. So they are a franchise, but still good with paper towel rolls on the table.

3) Marietta Pizza Company. Just opened a location across from Shane’s near our house. We plan to go once it calms down.

4) Sundial. OK, this one is waayyy overpriced, but where else can you get a 360 degree of ATL while you eat? And an amazing elevator ride.

5) La Parilla. Gimme that bowl of melted cheese, shrimp, chicken and beef, a steamer full of flour tortillas, and I’m good for at least a week.

Honorable Mention: The Varsity. C’mon … everyone needs an oil change once in a while. And a fried apple pie or Frosted O.

10. Andrea
    posted on Jan 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM  |  reply

When my friends and I meet up in Nash, we always always always eat at burger up! We love it so much, made a song about it. Just like Ashton Shepherds song ‘look it up’ except we call it ‘burger up’ (duh) “the word is hungry….burger up”

Here is a list of must tries if you ever come to Texas:

1. George’s- waco, tx (between Dallas and Austin) their crazy chicken wings consist of chunks of chicken smashed together with jalepenos and cheese wrapped in Bacon and dipped in wing sauce. Slobberific
    2. Guerros taco bar- Austin, Tx. Everything authentic. Even the margaritas. Tequila made on site from cactus. Yum.
    3. Braums- I’m not to sure where if they have these all over or just in Texas/the south but my favorite place to get a burger. And ice cream. At the same time.
    4. Cellarmans- Sherman, Tx (north of Dallas- in the lake texoma area) Irish pub style and bar food but the best wings, nachos, and stone oven pizzas around. My personal fave is the football size loaded baked potato.
    5. Max’ Wine and Dive bar- downtown Austin. Not really a bar but let me tell you about the grapefruit mimosas. Oh, wait. I can’t. There are no words to describe it. They have the best fried chicken and waffle combo ever but my face is the egg samich- buttered garlicy bread- egg, mayo, lettuce and pickles. Did I mention the mimosas?

Hope you try some of these out if you are ever in TX.

11. posted on Jan 15, 2012 at 8:15 PM  |  reply

Now this is a subject close to my heart.

First, a response to yours. I’ve been meaning to try Edley’s and fully agree with your other four selections.

However, the best fruit tea is certainly at Star Bagel in Sylvan Park. I love going there for breakfast and lunch. Across the street, you can’t go wrong with Local Taco. I adore the lemon crema sauce!

Another notable food truck is DegThai, along with Riff’s. And now I’m hungry.

• posted on Jan 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM  |  reply

@HopefulLeigh, I keep driving past Star Bagel on my way to church! It looked so cute, I was hoping it was good and had filed it away for a future breakfast visit!

12. posted on Jan 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM  |  reply

Yum I love these! The Silly Goose in East Nashville is fab. http://sillygoosenashville.com/ And I love SATCO!

13. posted on Jan 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM  |  reply

Three out of 5 ain’t bad! I need to come back so we can get grilled cheese together. I am missin out on that one, dang.

My fave Nash-lunch so far is that sandwich I got at Frothy that one time or the place with the amazing Chai and crepes. What is it called?

14. posted on Jan 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM  |  reply

Oh man this makes me hungry AND makes me miss Nashville like WHOA. Baja Burrito always wins the #1 spot in my lunchtime cravings. Fish taco, chips and fruit tea. Perfect. But another fav is The Copper Kettle on Wednesdays for coconut chicken. OMG. So delish.

15. Bacon lover 122
    posted on Apr 06, 2013 at 11:19 AM  |  reply

Omg now I’m REALLY hungry ????

16. Bacon lover 122
    posted on Apr 06, 2013 at 11:20 AM  |  reply

Me and my family love fried pickles????????????????????????????

17. Bacon lover 122