Moving is not for wimps.

on January 30, 2012 in Nash-livin' with 18 comments by

I moved to Nashville 3.5 years ago.

And would you believe, no kidding, that this is the SIXTH house I have occupied in this town?

So, mathematically speaking, that’s like moving every 7 months or so. Barf.

[I know your next question and no, I am not in the witness protection program. And even if I was, could I tell you?] [Do you think they let people in the WPP have blogs? Maybe.]

Here’s what else is super weird about how much I have moved. Prior to going to college, do you know how many houses I lived in? ONE. My parents still live in the house they built the months before I was born.

Since going to college? ELEVEN.

I feel like there should be some good 70s lyric to insert here about me being a nomad, a wanderer, a free-spirited woman without a consistent place to lay her head…. something something flowers in my hair something something flowy skirt.

This new house in Nashville is so darlin’ and great and will be a real joy when it is not full. of. the. cardboard. boxes.

I may be a hippy wanderer, but I gotz lotz of junk.

There are a few different ways to tackle unpacking, and I’ve tried them all.

1. One box a day keeps the stress away … You can just be disciplined and unpack one single box each day. Sure, it’ll take you up to two months to unpack, but you won’t feel exhausted.

2. Today’s the day … Just do it. Every box. Everything in its place. Miserably tiring but effective.

3. I’ll figure that out later … unpack what you can, avoid the things you don’t know what to do with. [This is my preferred method of dealing with emotional pain as well, just FYI.]

4. Boxes are like storage pieces … don’t unpack. Just use the boxes. Not recommended.

5. I’ll buy the pizza … invite your friends over, let them help you unpack, and you feed them as payment.

This time, I’m doing a combo of #3 and #5, with a splash of #4 … just until I get a desk up here from Atlanta.

And being that it has been seven months since I had all my material possessions in one building, I’m excited to announce that I have only lost two things in these 217(ish) days:

1. my checkbook
  2. the knobs that go on top of my four-poster bed

I do not know where they are.

But there are a few boxes left to unpack, so I’m not without hope that they will be found.

As soon as the house is done, I will give you a proper tour. I’ve done it before, for Annie Parsons. And I shall do it again.

. . . . .

Question time!

What’s your method of unpacking?

And where do you think my checkbook is?

1. posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:29 AM  |  reply

I hope your checkbook is in your car. My sister has moved 18 times in 23 years. (She’s a pastor’s wife.) She’s efficient in moving and she always uses method #2. That girl gets it done! Me? I’ve lived in this house for over 21 years so I’m not in practice. I do know I procrastinate so #2 would be best for me, too. Waiting on the home tour.

2. posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 6:33 AM  |  reply

OMG! I confess my chest tightened a little when I read your checkbook was missing … I’ve lived in the same house for 27 years … I can’t imagine moving that many times … I admire your free-spirit … being ridiculously OCD myself, places where your checkbook might be keep going through my head … in the console of your car? filing cabinet?nightstand? in the box where you packed the silverware? perhaps in the torn lining of your purse? (Ok, I’ve got to stop now … you’re welcome 😉 Good luck girl … I can’t wait to see pics when you are all settled in 🙂

3. posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 6:35 AM  |  reply

I SOOOO know what you mean, feel like I’ve been permanently homeless for a 6 months or so…starting to get used to it though 🙂

4. posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:15 AM  |  reply

Ummm, I lose my checkbook and things even when I haven’t moved…sometimes on a weekly basis. 🙂

5. Anne
    posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM  |  reply

well, when my friend moved a few years ago- she lost her driver’s license in the process. It was found a few days later in the box of band aids.. so it’s probably in some place where you least expect- like a box of cereal..

I use a combination of 3, 4, and 5- I’ve got such little space in Boston that the boxes I packed my CDs in to move here have become their permanent home- they’ll finally get their own storage space when I move at the end of this summer.

• Anne
      posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM  |  reply

@Anne, Also, a prayer to Saint Anthony might be a good idea…

6. Kim
    posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM  |  reply

I’m a combo of #2 and #3. I moved into my current place in August and got just about everything put away within two days (my roommate is 2 all the way…I didn’t want to be shamed). A week ago I finally put away the things that were hiding out of sight behind my curtains. They’re still behind the curtains, but now it just looks like that’s where they’re supposed to live 🙂

7. posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:24 PM  |  reply

could it be that you left your checkbook in the desk that is coming from Atlanta? Or maybe in Scotland? I hope it isn’t the second one! I am inclined to go with Anne’s comment – where you least expect it.

I prefer to do a combo of #2, 4 & 5. As a missionary I feel like I am always on the move – although I do have a “base home” and a couple of places I call “home” in other parts of the country. So, I move small things – like groceries for 4 months at a time and clothes for cool weather or hot weather. I try to unpack the food things right away but I tend to procrastinate on the clothes and paperwork things until I absolutely have to do them.

8. merideth
    posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM  |  reply

Of all the things that have to be missing it had to be your checkbook. That is not good. I keep mine in my perse, and if it’s not there it’s in my desk. But, apparently the desk isn’t an option for you at the moment. Hopefully you’ll find it soon.
    I’ve moved a ton in my adult life too, girl. I lived in one house for the majority of my childhood, but since I turned 18 that has not been the case. I think I lived in 10 different dorm rooms throughout undergrad, 6 different apartments throughout graduate school, and now I’m in a new apartment since last summer(until at least May when my lease is up). Plus, other periods of time in between when I lived at my parents'(that includes about 5 different addresses). OH, and all of these were in 4 different states. I dont’ like that I have bounsed around so much. I want to have more stability!

9. posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:10 PM  |  reply

I can’t even imagine moving that many times in such a short period! It makes my head hurt for you. I like to get the kitchen and bathroom unpacked right away. I keep the sheets out so I can make my bed. The rest happens over usually a 2 week period. Except for the time when I didn’t really finish putting my office together until I’d lived here for 9 months. Oops.

10. cbed
    posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM  |  reply

Maybe you rolled up your finials in the gorgeepoo swag you made all by yourself. With me and Katie.

11. posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM  |  reply

AMEN to your title! My last move, I lost an already overdue library book and my new license plate stickers, whoops! And probably a few other things, I’ve kindof blocked out that memory!
    I also recently lost my checkbook.. found it under my desk at work. So maybe look under a desk?? Hope you find it!

12. Whitney
    posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 4:45 PM  |  reply

hahaha Annie you crack me up. great advice & good luck with all of that!

13. posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:11 PM  |  reply

When I moved into my house, 3 beautiful friends showed up & took a room each. Bam! It was done in a couple of hours! (and the random boxes that didn’t get unpacked that day are still packed in my garage 6 years later…hmm I may not need those things).
    I also lost my cheque book when I moved & it still hasn’t shown up.

14. Katelyn
    posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM  |  reply

Annie, I am an all the time reader, but rare commenter. I was holding my 4 month old baby girl, Hazel Joy, and caught her watching your tour with me. I knew she was watching when she laughed OUT LOUD when you showed your bathroom. Surely she was laughing with you, not at you. I admit, I shouldn’t let her see the computer screen, but she thoroughly enjoyed the tour and you made a 4 month old laugh over the internet. Props.

15. posted on Jan 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM  |  reply

When I moved into my house a year ago, I was so excited that I attempted to unpack everything, all at once, on the same day I moved in. Sometime around 4 AM, clutching some throw pillows and spatula, I gave up.

I think I finally unpacked the last box 3 months later.

16. Amy W
    posted on Feb 02, 2012 at 6:15 AM  |  reply

I’ve moved 9 times in the last 10 years and it looks like I’m going to be moving again in May! I hate it!
    I also lost my chequebook when I moved last time – weird! Maybe yours is hanging out with mine somewhere?!

17. Jennifer
    posted on Feb 02, 2012 at 4:17 PM  |  reply

Just realized that I’ve moved 6 times in the last 5 years…wow. and unfortunately often subscribe to the ‘boxes are like storage pieces’ or ‘I’ll figure this out later’ unpacking methods.

It’s been 6 months and I’m still slowly exploring boxes I haven’t touched in a year. The upside? I found a bunch of super cute dresses I forgot I owned, and twenty bucks!