Testify to Love.

on May 16, 2013 in Girls of Grace, Sounds good to me. with 14 comments by

You know those songs that you kinda grow up with and love and they reside in a special place in your heart?

I have a few of those tucked away in my heart and when I hear them on the radio just causes an emotional reaction long before I can even prepare myself.

Such as, but not limited to, Testify to Love.

I’m gonna put a lyric video here and let you have a moment.

[Hey subscribers- there’s a video here. Click over if you can’t see it!]

Right? RIGHT? CAN I GET AN AMEN FROM MY MID-90S CHRISTIAN MUSIC LOVERS!?!

I know. It just takes you back there.

Anyways.

Fast forward to Girls of Grace. At one of our fall events my pal Amber says, “Man, last season when Michael used to sing Testify to Love? That was awesome.”

And then a sound like a record screeching happened [not really but imagine it] as I whipped my head towards her and said, “WHAT.”

Unbeknownst to me, my friend Michael that plays piano for Point of Grace is also the exact same Michael from the group Avalon that sings Testify to Love. [This I did not know. Obviously.]

Well. As if being around Point of Grace wasn’t enough to make 1994 Annie melt into a pile of uncool super fan, that about did it.

So I tried to play it cool, which you know I am really good at [no I’m not], and just hope that at some point during this Girls of Grace season, Michael would hear my heart cry out for a little throw back moment.

And it happened. I can’t remember which city, but I heard it from backstage and ran like my life depended on it so that I could watch it myself.

He sang Testify to Love.

It was moving times a million.

A few shows later in Dallas? He did it again.

My gracious, people.

And last week in San Antonio? The key change just plain about brought a tear to my eye. I did a horrible job filming it but I did a great job feeling it if that counts for anything. [It doesn’t.]

[Hey subscribers- there’s a video here. Click over if you can’t see it!]

I wish I’d have caught that key change on video. You’d be having a moment all over again right there on your side of the screen.

It is truly one of my favorite parts of the day. And I told him. EVERY TIME. Which just goes to prove that just because you are a speaker on a national conference tour, that DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE COOL.

In all seriousness, because you know I love a sentimental moment more than just about anybody, when Michael sang that song, it was such a full circle moment for me. Here I was, sharing the stage with these musicians that I have loved and adored from afar my whole life. I pictured little teen Annie, hanging out in her bedroom with 91.5FM playing on the radio in Atlanta, working on homework or reading a book when that song would come on. And y’all- I would sing every word like my life depended on it. Because I wanted my life to depend on those words. I wanted my life to look like that song.

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I’ll be a witness in the silences
When words are not enough
With every breath I take
I will give thanks to God above
For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love

And it is still what I pray – that my life testifies to God’s love.

Also? I hope that someday I get to hear Steven Curtis Chapman sing Burn The Ships because then my life as a CCM super fan would be complete.

. . . . .

What’s your favorite 90s Christian song? Do you have one that just takes you back?

1. posted on May 16, 2013 at 6:02 AM  |  reply

My daughter had the Avalon CD and we listened to it all the time while we drove around to her many lessons, appointments, etc. They play it quite a bit (still) on our radio station so we’re burned out on it, but I can see how it would cause your heart to stir to hear him play it. Do you remember the Touched by an Angel series when Wynonna played a mom to a dying boy and played that song at the end? I cry my eyes out every time I see that show.

2. JillyLee
    posted on May 16, 2013 at 7:53 AM  |  reply

Anyone remember Carman? I’m not sure if his songs/videos were aimed at kids, but I remember being about 4 or 5 and singing along. As cheesy as they may be, the words created such a strong foundation of faith in me even as a kid!

Ie) http://youtu.be/etiXvqcPYTY

• posted on May 16, 2013 at 4:55 PM  |  reply

TOTALLY remember Carman. We even went to a Carman concert once, and I remember thinking it was the coolest thing ever.

3. posted on May 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM  |  reply

“Can’t Live A Day” by AVALON

4. posted on May 16, 2013 at 9:12 AM  |  reply

If your list doesnt include the entire tracklist from DC Talk’s Free At Last it is not complete.

5. posted on May 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM  |  reply

I was hopping over here to tell you that my favorite was Testify to Love. Ha! I had a magical moment as well when I attended Girls of Grace as a sponsor 7 years ago. Michael was playing piano then as well and the Point of Grace ladies sang the song with him…gorgeous! (I also captured it on video if you want to hear 🙂 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgrvS0fv8fw )

6. Corley
    posted on May 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM  |  reply

I saw you ask this question on Twitter and THIS SONG came to mind! And then…you said the same thing! I don’t know what it is about it but I get tears in my eyes. It has never gone out of style. And Annie, you are my people.

7. Hillary
    posted on May 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM  |  reply

Growing up in the country, I didn’t really get into music like the rest of my peers who grew up mid-90s. But DC Talk’s Free At Last, I remember. And my sister, who seems to be a lot like you, Annie, she lost her cool every single time “Friends” by Michael W. Smith was played. I swear, everytime. And my 9 year old self was like, what is the MATTER with her? lol. I understand now, though. Hosanna just about gets me every time. I love Hosanna.

8. Emily
    posted on May 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM  |  reply

Love the “Burn the Ships” reference – loved that whole SCC CD! It was one of my faves!

9. posted on May 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM  |  reply

Adonai–LOVE that one.
    I agree though, anything by SCC or Point of Grace–straight back to the 90s. and awesomely awful frizzy hair.

10. posted on May 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM  |  reply

Awesome.

What I first think of is DC Talk, Free at Last or Jesus Freaks. My best friend & I would cruise around in her pickup truck listening to those on tape. If a favorite song came on when she was driving me home, we’d keep going right past my house and do a big detour on county roads so we could listen to the whole thing!

11. posted on May 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM  |  reply

“Baby, Baby” by Amy Grant. KIDDING. But she did come and play at a chapel service when I was in college, and at the end she asked for requests, and this guy shouted from the back of the room, “Play, ‘Baby, Baby!'” Hilarious. She tried, but she couldn’t remember how to play it!

I love love LOVED SCC and Point of Grace back in the day. “The Great Adventure” by SCC was one of the very first Christian song I ever heard. I remember my brother and I being in the car and asking my mom to play “that horses song” over and over. I would completely lose it if I ever met SCC.

12. posted on May 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM  |  reply

girl? i’ve never admitted this to anyone but i LOVE testify to love. such a great song. brings me to tears every time.

13. posted on May 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM  |  reply