Why Moms Need Colbie Caillat The Most.

on July 13, 2014 in Gal Stuff with 10 comments by

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 12.39.05 PM

Across the internet this weekend, people are praising Colbie Caillat’s new video, Try. (Watch it here. It is amazing.)

The premise is that you don’t have to try to be beautiful or accepted or wanted. It is a super strong message that needs to be spoken into the young women of our culture. And with over 3 million views in less than a week, it’s connecting in a major way.

I love seeing new dads tweet about it and tween dads blog about it.

But where are the moms?

Interesting, yes? Good dads are quick to stand up for their daughters’ beauty- why aren’t the moms as vocal? Some might say that how a daddy speaks to his daughter’s beauty is more powerful. Or that because dads are dudes they understand what it’s like to be on the consumer side of beauty and they want their daughters to live differently than they saw their friends live as teens. And I think all that is true.

But dads don’t FEEL this video like we adult women, moms or not, can FEEL this video.

I think many adult women watch this video and don’t believe it for themselves.

The reality is that it isn’t just young girls who are struggling with this.

I struggle with this. When I’m speaking at a camp or a retreat and everyone is in shorts and a tshirt, I still feel the need to straighten my hair and put on makeup and wear jeans. Why? I’d like to say it’s because I have to look professional and such, but I’m lying. It’s because I don’t believe that I don’t have to try.

I feel like I always have to try.

And I know tons of women my age and older who fight with this too. We see wrinkles so we cover them with concealer. We see rolls so we squeeze them with spanx. We wear makeup to the gym. We stay home when we don’t feel pretty.

And we wonder why the next generation still struggles.

Mamas, you need to hear this message for you. It’s not just for the ones behind us. It’s for us too. If Moms will believe what this song says, their daughters will too. Sure, it will take time. Sure, that’s not a universal truth (only God writes those), but I’m telling you- if YOU as an adult can live what this song describes- be yourself, you don’t have to try so hard, love yourself the way God made you- the ones behind us will see that and they will take notice and they will change.

We want the next generation to believe Colbie? We have to start believing her too.

Take your makeup off

Let your hair down

Take a deep breath

Look into the mirror at yourself

Don’t you like you?

Cause I like you.

. . . . .

Your thoughts?

. . . . .

1. posted on Jul 13, 2014 at 9:16 PM  |  reply

Love this video. And I agree, Moms, need to hear this.
    I need to hear this, to remember that “trying” sometimes means covering up all those things that make us unique and beautiful.

Thanks for sharing!

2. posted on Jul 13, 2014 at 9:34 PM  |  reply

I am not a mom but I agree that all women need to be sharing this (and I have actually seen it mainly from the moms on my FB feed). I actually used this as my Sunday Inspiration post on my blog today 🙂

3. posted on Jul 14, 2014 at 2:09 AM  |  reply

I can’t love this sweet song and video enough… Bravo Colbie and all women being brave. I believe the moms and 20 something’s I know would embrace this.
    Thanks for encouraging women in truth everyday Annie. It’s important.

4. Misty Eldridge
    posted on Jul 14, 2014 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

Love you, Annie, and all that you are. So appreciative that you have influence in my daughter’s life – and mine. Your words are for us all!

5. posted on Jul 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM  |  reply

I hadn’t seen this video before today, but I love it! (Both the video and the song.) Thank you for sharing, Annie!

6. Hillary
    posted on Jul 14, 2014 at 12:02 PM  |  reply

I just watched this video this morning after hearing about it all week. For me, I’ve been coming into my own more as a woman of God lately than I have ever. Seeing as I am nearly 30, I figured it was time. It’s helped me become more confident, so there have been a few days here and there where I’ve gone without makeup and at first it was a challenge, but now it’s okay. I still wear makeup when my skin rises in mutiny against my face (thanks PMS), but I don’t think about putting makeup on again or fixing my hair after I workout and head to hangout with my friends.

I’m glad there is a rising cry from women to be loved for who we actually are and not a portrait we paint for the outside world.

7. posted on Jul 15, 2014 at 5:56 AM  |  reply

I had typed up a long comment, but then I realized it wasn’t needed. This video speaks volumes to those who feel like they have to try so hard to be accepted. Thanks for sharing.

8. Christy
    posted on Jul 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM  |  reply

Great video – thanks for sharing! I’d seen it on FB but your words made me want to view it. And you are right! But it’s a tough balance too – as a mom of a three year old with crazy hair =) I am trying to teach her good self-care (we brush our hair, we put on matching clothes…) but without tying her worth to her appearance… doing that without carrying over so much of the ingrained judgements we each carry is HARD. Thanks for the encouragement!!

9. Tammy
    posted on Jul 18, 2014 at 11:52 AM  |  reply

I love this post! It is so timely in this day and age of photoshopped female role models. Women and girls need to remember they are made in God’s image and His crowning glory!!! Thank you for this post!

10. Marie Dittmar
    posted on Jul 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM  |  reply

Whew! Hit me between the eyes! I don’t have a lot of thoughts because I’m still processing but this word is right on time in my 45-year-old life and definitely from God, directly to Me!