A Brave Story: MadiRose

on September 24, 2014 in #thatisbrave with 7 comments by

thatisbravesquared[Once a week, I am going to be sharing with you a brave story sent in from a reader. You can comment, respond, encourage. Want to submit your own story or a story of a brave friend of yours? Head to thatisbrave.com!]

This week’s #thatisbrave story comes from MadiRose. I think so many of us can relate to her brave choice she shares about today. Her words, and her name, are used with her permission.

. . . . .

I didn’t know what to post here from my almost eighteen years of life, but I did think of this. About a year and a half ago, I felt called by God to write a hard letter to my daddy.

He divorced my mother twelve years ago and I had always had a troubled time with him and his new family. I had forgiven him in my heart, but I started feeling like I was supposed to let him know that I forgave him for all the hurt he gave me. I really didn’t want to and it seemed like a difficult task, but I sat down with my computer and worked at typing it out. I must have re-typed it numerous times and there were several mind blocks where I tried to pick out just the right words to express my feelings. I let him know that i had forgiven him in my heart for several years and although I would still be affected by it forever, I was happy with my life. I let him know that I now trusted and loved and had a good growing relationship with my step-mother and two half-brothers. I thanked him for reading my letter and listening to my thoughts. Even after typing and printing it out, I folded it slowly and tucked it inside an envelope and addressed it. But after it was safely in the mailbox and on its way to him, I felt a calm peace about it. I didn’t really know if I would ever hear anything about it from him-we visit but all our conversations are about a millimeter thick. But it didn’t matter-I had written it and sent it and felt more resolved about the situation than ever before. And I would never have been able to do it without God and His love to me.

(To end the story, he wrote me a nice small email about a month later, thanking me for it and acknowledging the fact that it was probably hard to pen it. He and I still aren’t real close [my step-mother and I are] , but I love him anyway.) Thanks for listening to my story!

. . . . .

IMG_2181

If you have a second, leave a comment for MadiRose to encourage her!!

. . . . .

1. Sassy
    posted on Sep 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM  |  reply

Hey Madi this is awesome!!!! Even though I have known this for a long time still awesome that you chose to share this!! Love U Lots!!!! See ya tonight!

2. posted on Sep 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM  |  reply

That was quite brave, MadiRose. Thank you for sharing your brave moment.

3. Colleen
    posted on Sep 24, 2014 at 3:40 PM  |  reply

What an awesome thing to do! You did what you were led by God to do! I admire your bravery. I am a mama with three almost grown (but not quite yet!!) kids and I would hope that they have the courage and strength to do what you did when the time comes, as it does for all.

4. Janie Lowery
    posted on Sep 25, 2014 at 11:03 PM  |  reply

Maddi-I think you are so brave and I love that even when it took all the strength you could muster to flesh out the words you wrote to your father, you let your voice be heard. How awesome that you forgive your father while acknowledging the pain he caused, but that you recognize your love, joy & strength in your Heavenly Father…what a gift you are and an encouragement to others!

5. jenn in GA
    posted on Sep 26, 2014 at 9:16 AM  |  reply

MadiRose, i had to write a similar letter to my dad, even though my parents were still married, telling him that i needed to be independent from him. i needed his approval too much, and it was damaging my ability to function.

you freed yourself from the enemy’s ability to continue to tempt you to return to unforgiveness when you wrote that letter! thanks be to our Lord Jesus Christ for giving us everything we need to fight our enemy (who is NOT your dad, btw) and live FREE.

6. Ann Jorgensen
    posted on Sep 26, 2014 at 6:43 PM  |  reply

That is so great MadiRose. It appears you have already learned lessons that I didn’t learn until I was nearly 30. I know God is going to use your story in awesome ways to encourage and inspire others. Thanks for sharing.

7. Christina
    posted on Sep 28, 2014 at 9:21 AM  |  reply

Beautifully brave!! I can’t even tell you. I can’t wait to see the healing God is going to do in your life and possibly your father’s through this. Big hug!