As good a time as any.

on April 14, 2008 in Movin on up with 11 comments by

Last night at a concert (Dave Barnes- duh.), I talked with a new friend of mine that lives in Nashville. He said, “So, tell me why you are moving up?” I answered, “BECAUSE GOD TOLD ME TO.”

And I realized I looked like a freak. Seriously. Because there is SO MUCH back story to that and though that is the main idea, it just isn’t that black and white. I’m a details girl. I wanted to add details.

So I emailed him a brief version of the details. I’m going to give you a little more. I guess back here in March I told you, but I didn’t really tell you.

In October, I started feeling this weird unsettled feeling. Not like something bad was going to happen, but that God was talking but I wasn’t listening. [Can I get an Amen from pews on that one?] I sat down one night with my journal and began to write. Suddenly, on my page, at the bottom of the list, it said this:

Am I supposed to move to Nashville?

And I was stunned. Why in the WORLD would I even write that? I love my house, my job, my friends, my family- everything about Marietta. Why would I leave?

So I tossed the idea, though I felt an unearthly peace when I read that in my journal, and I told the Lord, “Ok, if this is YOU, bring it back. But if it’s me, let’s just forget the whole thing happened.”

Cause single girls can get some crazy ideas. Don’t let us fool you. We aren’t near as sane as we look. [And by “we”, I mean “I”.]

I told no one. I just prayed. And it wouldn’t go away, though secretly, I really wanted it to.

At Thanksgiving, I emailed my friends Kevin and Mandy to see if I could stay with them over MLK weekend in Nashville. Very nonchalant. Very “of course I’m not MOVING there, just visiting… of course”.

I thought if January came and I still couldn’t shake this idea, I should probably visit Nashville. Since I had never been there before.

Oh yeah. Moving to a city you’ve never been to? Hop aboard the insane train.

I told my family at Christmas when we were on a trip in Birmingham. They all loved it, I don’t know why. Probably because of Jesus speaking to their hearts, too. But I still DID NOT love it and was pretty certain I had lost my marbles or was in some sort of phase. Why didn’t anyone else agree?

I then told my two best friends and it was horrible. Good. I wanted it to be. I wanted someone to say that this was a terrible idea and brainstorm for hours other ways to accomplish the same goal. Or set a timeline. Or cancel the plans all together.

But once the conversation ceased, the tears flowed. Because we all three knew. Though we are all three excellent planners, we can’t out plan God’s plan. If we could have, we would have.

And then that’s when all the steps starting coming. Writing opportunities increased, Mt. Hermon came into view, I did not sign my contract to teach next year, I put my house on the market and God sold it in weeks.

I still don’t LOVE the idea of moving. I mean, I’m getting used to it. I like it. I’m excited that God and I are headed on an adventure. I DO NOT want to leave my family, my friends, my coworkers, my church, my life. My city. It scares me to death- EVERYONE I love (give or take a few in out west and in scattered states) lives 30 miles or less from Atlanta and I moved home from college NEVER planning to leave.

I’m not a very brave person. I don’t do things that are outside of my comfort zone. But I feel like it’s time I told the Lord that He means more to me than anything else. Anyone else.

And if that looks like moving to Nashville, I will.

Tomorrow …… Why Nashville?

1. Aaron
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 1:43 AM  |  reply

so, i couldn’t make it through this post because i couldn’t make it past the 1st sentence. i am sure its a great post about good things maybe even Jesus. where did you see Dave at last night?

2. Sarah Markley
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 2:17 AM  |  reply

You are totally brave; don’t sell yourself short.

3. seantk
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 2:55 AM  |  reply

I had similar feelings, a similar process when I moved on NYC. Do I still live there? No – of course not. But…. it was something in my life that was very worthwhile and I learned a great deal about myself, about God, about God’s plan for me.

Did it take trust? Oh yeah. Did I accomplish what I originally went there for? No. Did God work things out in my heart and teach me things and did I get stretched as a person? Absolutely.

Go for it. It’s an adventure, indeed.

4. lucy
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 3:52 AM  |  reply

annie. i love you. you are so funny and honest. it’s perfect. don’t worry: i’ll TOTALLY visit you. and ps, nashville is pretty flippin sweet, so, you’ll love it eventually. xooxoxox

5. ManUtd17
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 1:00 PM  |  reply

Thanks for sharing that. (For some reason, I thought I was the only person who didn’t know the details.)

Don’t forget while you’re working on your “Why Nashville” post to check out the season premiere of Deadliest Catch tonight.

6. becky
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM  |  reply

i think it’s going to be great, you’re a great writer, keep me entertained often, and are listening well to God. I am impressed and think you’ll do good moving out of your comfort zone, wish I could be better at that!!

7. Emily C.
    posted on Apr 15, 2008 at 2:33 PM  |  reply

I echo Sean’s comments: I wasn’t exactly thrilled at the idea of moving to DC, but couldn’t shake God calling me to leave my comfort zone. Its been an incredible experience so far, and I’m so thankful because I would have missed out had I not followed His lead. You’ll be glad you did 😉

8. Michelle
    posted on Apr 16, 2008 at 3:03 PM  |  reply

Found you through BooMama and I just HAD to comment. I had a similiar thing happen except in my career path. That was two years ago, I obeyed, but I really, really, really didn’t want to but I did. And let me tell you because I obeyed ONE time, I have been continually been blessed and people around me have been blessed. I am a Marietta girl, but have family in Nashville and YOU WILL LOVE IT!!! My sister-in-law goes to an AMAZING church in Franklin called the Journey Ecclesia (http://www.journeyecclesia.com/). It is a very artisitic church with lots of artists, writers, etc… Best of Luck to you, but you don’t need it because God is going to bless your obedience!!!!!

9. Holly
    posted on Jul 29, 2008 at 5:31 PM  |  reply

GIIIRRLLL ~ What I think you are doing is AWESOME and incredible! KNOW that it is an INCREDIBLE place to be…right in GOD’S WILL and not your own! YOU will learn so much not being your comfort zone! BELIEVE ME I MOVED ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE UNITED STATES!!! WOW..CAN’T BELIEVE we did it, but for my spiritual life it couldn’t of been any better! GIRL YOU ARE AWESOME and I LOVE TO SEE THE LORD WORKING IN PEOPLE IS INSPIRING!!!
    Love you so much ~ HOllY DURHAM

10. Heather
    posted on Sep 22, 2010 at 12:06 PM  |  reply

Annie, can I just tell you that the same thing happened to us? My husband, Chris, came to me one day and said God had given him a vision 3 times that we were to move to GA. He would go to school at KSU and work at Mt. Paran. I thought he was crazy, but asked God to give me confirmation. We, as well, put our house on the market and sold it in 10 weeks (this was at the end of 2007 when things were really starting to get bad). He got into KSU the day I got my job transferred and now he works for Mt. Paran Church. Who’d have thought??? Anyway, it’s not totally crazy! I can totally relate.

11. posted on Nov 03, 2010 at 9:14 PM  |  reply

So… can I say ditto on this entire post? This is exactly where I am right now. It’s good to know someone else was as crazy as I’m about to be and survived.