Deeper Still.

on June 30, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 16 comments by

Y’all.

Here’s the thing. I wasn’t planning on going to Deeper Still in Atlanta this weekend. In fact, Mom had asked us repeatedly to go, but for some crazy reason, none of the sisters wanted to go. Fast forward to the SheSpeaks Conference, where my friends Sophie and Melanie are talking Deeper Still up like a storm. So I beg Mama to have mercy and get us tickets… though a little late. As usual, she succeeded. Duh.

And let me tell y’all. This was an amazing event. 19,000 women seeking God. Are you kidding me? It was insane. You can go to the LifeWay Blog to see updates from the front rows. (Check this out- this is what happens when you are a REALLY good blogger. Yeah, those seats are none-too-shabby, girls. Nice job.)

Which I swear I wasn’t stalking them- they know I took that picture…. well, Sophie and Melanie do. I didn’t check with Beth or Travis, but I’ll call their cell phones later to check.

I’m gonna let you figure out whether I mean that or not.

We were there Friday night and most of the day Saturday. Each session began with a video clip about each of their lives, then worship, then teaching for each women individually. The afternoon had all three women sitting together on stage in a panel like Q&A.

The worship was amazing- the voices. Oh. My. Gracious. It was like an orchestra of beauty. I could have listened for a long LONG time.

And the teaching was unlike any I’ve gotten to sit under in a while. Deep. Challenging. Smart. Encouraging. Did I say CHALLENGING?!? All three of these women, Beth Moore, Kay Arthur, and Priscilla Shirer, brought fresh words that were very timely and very scriptural. And maybe a bit CHALLENGING.

Which is good, y’all.

These women. They love the Bible. I leave their sessions and, among other things, think this- I want to love the Bible like that.

And I think they would consider that a success.

There are tons of great pictures and some live blogging up on the DEEPER STILL BLOG, so you can check that out too.

Another joy to my weekend was spending time with these girls. It has somehow happened that a mere weekend together, a handful of texts, and far too many emails, has made us real friends. And I’m grateful. They are both wise women in the Lord and a few steps ahead of me in life- it is NEVER a bad choice to add to your arsenal of mentors, I say.

My Mama, Mom’s friend Melissa, and my friend Kathleen, Sophie, Melanie, and myself ate lunch together outside. And Kathleen made these shut-up-how-in-the-world delicious brownies. Because she loves all things bloggish, though she refuses to blog herself, we have named these desserts Blogger Brownies. Please. If you love me at all, you will make these for yourself. If I could make them and send them, I would. But it is never wise for me to bake this amount of awesome when I’m alone in the house…. there will be nothing left to ship out. [At least I know my limits.] Enjoy!

BLOGGER BROWNIES

1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick of butter, melted
1 1/2 cup chopped nuts, divided
1 cup brown sugar
2 8oz packages of cream cheese, softened

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13″ pan. Combine cake mix, melted butter and 3/4 cups nuts. Press into bottom of dish. Combine brown sugar and cream cheese until well mixed. Spread evenly over cake mix crust; sprinkle with remaining nuts. Bake 25-30 minutes. Cool. Cut into squares. Store in refrigerator.

1. boomama
    posted on Jun 30, 2008 at 1:06 PM  |  reply

I promise you that those brownies were the best things I ate all weekend. And now that I see that the recipe calls for 2 blocks of cream cheese, it all makes sense.

Love you.

2. Amy Beth @ Ministry So Fabulous!
    posted on Jun 30, 2008 at 1:19 PM  |  reply

Oh I am SO glad ya’ll had so much fun!!!

3. lauren
    posted on Jun 30, 2008 at 2:13 PM  |  reply

i was there this weekend and came away wanting to know and love the Word more, too 🙂 i would definitely say that is success!!!!

4. Big Mama
    posted on Jun 30, 2008 at 2:24 PM  |  reply

Oh those brownies were a ministry unto themselves.

Y’all are the best!

5. Natalie @ I AM (not)
    posted on Jun 30, 2008 at 3:43 PM  |  reply

Glad you had fun with the girls!

6. kathleen
    posted on Jul 01, 2008 at 1:06 AM  |  reply

I am STILL eating those brownies! You should have taken them home with you.

7. nanatrish
    posted on Jul 01, 2008 at 1:42 AM  |  reply

Those brownies look fabulous and I will try and make them this weekend when I go home. I am so jealous of you with Big and Boo. I would have loved to been there. They both inspire me. I love reading your blog and the video was too cute in the car. God is so good and isn’t it wonderful when we find friends that love Him too and are so fun to be with?

8. Mel
    posted on Jul 01, 2008 at 6:16 AM  |  reply

As far as I can tell, you’ve been having non-stop adventures since we met in March. Is your life always such a barrel of laughs!?

9. Jennie B
    posted on Jul 01, 2008 at 3:24 PM  |  reply

“Get thee behind me, Brownies!” (which is exactly where they’ll go, believe me!)

Thanks for the report on the conference. I am pathetically resistant to things like that and it sounds like my resistance cost me a great time.

10. mamasass
    posted on Jul 01, 2008 at 4:06 PM  |  reply

I love all the women you mentioned in your blog today!! (most especially, you and your mom) Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream!!

11. Linda Vujnov
    posted on Jul 02, 2008 at 2:42 AM  |  reply

Okay, so they sound great, however, the picture resembles a slice of halibut that has been sauteed in butter with a macadamia nut crust. Yea, that is how we eat fish in Cali.

I sooo wish that I could have been there!! Why didn’t you tell your mom that I wanted to come?

12. The Bayou Belles and Their Beau
    posted on Jul 02, 2008 at 9:21 PM  |  reply

What is up with all the traveling? Everyone’s going somewhere but me. I’m like the red-headed step child.

I found you through one of the famous bloggers which I can’t remember now … either BooMama, Shannon, of maybe Big Mama. Anyway, have enjoyed reading for the past week or so. Nice to meet you.

Where are you off to next? I definitely need to get into the loop. Wish, oh wish, I could have gone to She Speaks … maybe next year.

Keep up the great writing.

13. Missy @ It's Almost Naptime
    posted on Jul 03, 2008 at 3:19 AM  |  reply

So, you’re moving to Houston when?

14. MoziEsmé
    posted on Jul 04, 2008 at 11:58 PM  |  reply

Those blogger brownies look devilish! Glad you had a great time!

15. Pajama Mama
    posted on Jul 05, 2008 at 12:29 AM  |  reply

Annie, I was just chatting with a friend about this brownie recipe I saw on a blog….and about this blogger I love to read named BooMama and how she saw inside Kay Arthur’s Bible, etc. etc. etc….and this friend said that her friend Annie knows Boomama and went to Deeper Still and She Speaks and lo and behold…it’s you. And Kate. And Kate and her family are here with us now celebrating the 4th with homemade peach ice cream and apple cake…that she made from scratch!!

Take care…

16. Pajama Mama
    posted on Jul 05, 2008 at 12:30 AM  |  reply

The “email follow up comments” box wasn’t there the first time I posted!!