Are you famous?

on September 22, 2008 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 22 comments by

One of the funniest things about living in Nashville is that everybody is somebody.

Present blog author excluded.

There are the obviously famous people- artists and musicians and the like.  And don’t think for one country music minute that I don’t love that.  The idea that Reba and I could pass each other on the cereal aisle is a highlight to living in this zip code.

Then there are the not-so-obvious ones- the phenomenal songwriters, the producers that everyone, yes absolutely everyone, should know [except the musically uncool like me], the unsigned artists that have college women all over this great nation pining after them, etc.  Being that I have no aspirations in the music biz, I don’t know them.  So who knows how many times I’ve sat beside an undercover big deal.  Or stood in line with someone that would make a soon-to-be-artist sweaty and nervous.

I had a couple of great experiences this weekend that sadly, I’m not allowed to blog about.  [Don’t think I didn’t shake my fist at the sky and yell “OH WHY?!?” when the email said, “please don’t blog about this”.  Let’s just say I slept on a tour bus Friday and Saturday night.  And that’s all you’re getting.]  But I was around artists and people who are somebodys here in Nashville.  And they treated me like we’d been friends forever and even suffered through the 3rd quarter of the Georgia game on my behalf.

Oh musicians.  You should really learn to love football.  This could be our year.

They were awesome to be around.  Genuinely caring about my move to Nashville, playing the “who do you know” game and identifying mutual friends.  Really getting to know me.  Saying, with their actions, that I am important.

But then I had a radically different experience last week, before the Weekend That Ruled.  I was at an event and I ran into someone that I have many mutual friends with here in Nashville.  It was easy to recognize him from pictures on facebook and the fact that EVERYONE says we would love being friends.

Being the shy quiet type that I am [ahem], I introduced myself and explained how and why we should know each other.

Once I said hey, it was apparent that I was out of place and stealing his time.  Suffice it to say we didn’t hug or exchange phone numbers.  In fact, I think only one party in the conversation smiled.  That being me.  At the beginning.

I left the conversation saying, “Is that guy famous?  And was I supposed to know that?  And am I a fan and didn’t know it?”

He carried himself with an air of importance. And made me question my own.

I’ve been turning this conversation over in my mind.  The truth is that there were a lot of factors involved and meeting another time or in another situation may have made us into great friends.  [So don’t get all feisty cause I still could end up being buds with him in the future.  I’m just sayin’…]

I think by asking “Are you famous?”, what we are really saying is, “Are you worth my time?”.  Isn’t that true?  Because we think “famous” people deserve our time and others don’t.  He had decided that I was not worth his time.  An investment that had no payout.

And I do the same thing to people all the time.  How sick and sad.  Because I don’t know if you saw the memo but I, ANNIE, AM NOT FAMOUS EITHER.  But sometimes I act like it.

Sometimes I forget my own issues until someone holds a mirror up and says “Check yo self out, sista.  You look just like me.”  Ouch.

So I wonder if there are people I’ve left in my “wake of fame” that feel the same about me as I do about that guy?  People that I didn’t have time for because they weren’t cool enough?  I bet so, but pray not.  I’ve asked God to forgive me of that- being so very important that I sucked the importance out of someone else’s heart.

So thanks for the reality check, Fake Famous Guy.  You’ve made me want to live different.

Because I’ve decided that I’m going to start treating people like THEY are the important ones.  Not me.  I want other people to leave my presence and say, “Am I famous?  She acted like I was a big deal.  Am I?”  And then maybe that will give God a moment to tell them what a big deal they are to Him.

Because that’s the first thing He said to me when I left that conversation.

So today, I want you to know that YOU REALLY MATTER TO ME.  You do.  I’m sorry if I’ve made you feel any different.  And just because you are on the other side of this screen doesn’t mean I don’t thank God for you and appreciate you for even stopping by.  You are important.  You are a big deal.  You are worth my time.

Truth is, there is only One worthy of fame around here.

Habakkuk 3:2  “Lord, I have heard of Your fame; I stand in awe of Your deeds.”

One that is perfect and worthy and YET takes His time to make us feel loved and important.  And that fact alone should be enough to keep me humble.  Please Lord, keep me humble.  And keep loving me like this.

1. Barb-a-licious
    posted on Sep 22, 2008 at 7:13 PM  |  reply

you are so great and I love ya.

2. posted on Sep 22, 2008 at 7:35 PM  |  reply

You’re famous to me.

3. posted on Sep 22, 2008 at 7:48 PM  |  reply

wow, what a great post!! you are wonderful!! and you matter to me as well. it is my pleasure to be a small part of your wonderful blog!! take care!!

4. posted on Sep 22, 2008 at 8:03 PM  |  reply

This was a great post and I agree with you 100%. Sure made me think. “famous” people are no different than us…they may beleive it–but they are not. I think its Americas ignorance that has elevated them to a place they dont belong.

5. posted on Sep 22, 2008 at 9:37 PM  |  reply

Great post, Annie. This is something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately. I loved this line:

“I want other people to leave my presence and say, “Am I famous? She acted like I was a big deal. Am I?” ”

I so want to live like that…

6. posted on Sep 22, 2008 at 10:34 PM  |  reply

Appreciated this today, Annie. Fame is just a bunch of hooey, when you get down to it. 🙂

7. posted on Sep 22, 2008 at 10:53 PM  |  reply

ohhh, annie dear. you are famous. more than you know.

and you are supremely important. i love you.

8. Shannon
    posted on Sep 22, 2008 at 11:11 PM  |  reply

If I had to guess whose tour bus you slept on, I would say it’s one of the three bands I’m going to see live in concert this Friday night. Hint: I already saw one of the bands earlier this year. But I was told I couldn’t blog about it. Ahem.

9. Southern Gal
    posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 6:49 AM  |  reply

I grew up and live in a small town where many of the folks who have ‘positions’ or jobs that make a little more money than average spend all their time avoiding talking to the ‘average Joe’. It’s almost funny how they will pass you in the grocery aisle and avoid your eyes so they won’t have to speak to the former classmate cause they are so much better than you are now. And it hurts my PRIDE. So I’ve been pondering all this for the last week.

AND you’ve hit the nail on the head again, Annie. My pride has to be crucified. And am I not guilty of the same thing in some situations? Even though we may think we’re ‘better’ than someone else, looking through God’s eyes we’re all the same…no matter the status or money.

Yep, I needed this.
    Thanks,
    Renee

10. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 7:05 AM  |  reply

What a wonderful encouragement this morning. Thank you, Annie!

11. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 7:50 AM  |  reply

while your in Nashvagas this weekend, sleeping on random tour buses…I will find my self at the BLACKOUT!!!

12. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 8:27 AM  |  reply

I LOVE THIS!!!
    You said,””And then maybe that will give God a moment to tell them what a big deal they are to Him”””. That is a great word!

I cant tell you the times I have been blown off by people who thought I wasnt worth wasting a few minutes on (which makes you feel as though you are NOTHING) and I am embarrassed to say that I have done the same to others at times.
    This, my friend, is a wonderful post and an excellent reminder that God is the only truly Famous One – everyone else is a flash in the pan – He is famous in ALL the earth AND heavens.

**As a sidenote, you realize that we do not care about the “do not blog this” email and we want details, right???? You CANNOT say the words “I slept on a tour bus all weekend” without any expanation, you know that, right????

13. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 8:50 AM  |  reply

What a wonderful post. What kind of writing do you do??

14. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 1:01 PM  |  reply

Ouch.

I’ve been on both sides of the coin and it’s never pretty. Wonderful post, Annie.

15. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 1:52 PM  |  reply

Such a good post. really good.

Darlene

16. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 4:14 PM  |  reply

Annie, that’s one fear you shouldn’t have. I think you always make people feel special – it’s your gift.

17. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 4:15 PM  |  reply

You didn’t see my boy on that tour bus, did you? He was on one, too. In bunk #7 🙂

18. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 9:01 PM  |  reply

Wait. Did you pass Reba on the cereal aisle? DID YOU PASS REBA ON THE CEREAL AISLE!? Annie, if you did, I hate you. If you didn’t, I hate you for toying with my emotions like that.

And now that I’m breathing again, I’ll go read the rest of the post, because let’s be honest. I stopped at “Reba…cereal aisle.” And I’m sure it’s a lovely post.

19. posted on Sep 23, 2008 at 10:19 PM  |  reply

What a great post, Annie. We all need to remember to treat others like that. And to remember Who is really worthy of all the attention grabbing fame.

Kara

20. posted on Sep 27, 2008 at 1:01 AM  |  reply

Oh my lawd, little Annie’s moved off to Nashville and turned into a hussy groupie…

21. posted on Oct 06, 2008 at 10:32 AM  |  reply

[…] reading Kat’s post about her little run-in with “fame” and a great thought from Annie with regards to how WE ought to treat one another… I’ve decided that I’m going to start […]

22. posted on Oct 14, 2008 at 10:50 AM  |  reply

I enjoyed this post.

You know, the whole fame thing is a train wreck. No one can ever be famous enough.

I walk into a restaurant for lunch (especially in Franklin or Cool Springs area) and it is obvious who is in a band. They are trying to be famous. They want recognition.

The more someone chases fame, the more of it they want. It is an addiction with no end. That’s why we see mega successful songwriters who can live an amazing life doing what they do and have a private life chase the artist deal. They often want the fame and glory. Why?!

Anyway, my little rant. Keep up the good blog work!