Pitcher O Soup Recipe

on October 8, 2008 in That's delish. with 8 comments by

I’ve renamed it.  Catchy, eh?

Here ya go- let me know once you try it!!

————–

3 (14 oz) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth

1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes

2 carrots, sliced

2 celery stalks, sliced

[PLEASE use the leafy part- it is so good for you and it tastes fine- just chop it with the stalks and I promise you will never know they are there.]

1 zucchini, diced

¾ cup whole wheat elbow macaroni

[I couldn’t find whole wheat elbows, so I went with these spiral-ey noodles. Whole wheat, though.  Keepin’ it healthy in 08 baby.]

2 garlic cloves, minced

½ lb. boneless chicken breast, chopped

[I did closer to a pound, and I seasoned the chicken with seasoned salt and pepper before I dropped the cubes in the soup.]

¼ cup chopped parsley

½ tsp. salt

½ tsp. pepper

————–

Bring broth and tomatoes to a boil in a large saucepan.  Add carrots, onions, celery, zucchini, macaroni, and garlic.  Return to boil, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Increase heat to medium-high; add chicken, parsley, salt and pepper.  Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Makes 8 servings.  [And by “8”, I think the recipe means “82”.  Ok, seriously.  8 probably.  But 8 healthy eaters.]

————–

And y’all, this is just a formula.  Add whatever veggies you want, or use beef instead of chicken.  Or go really nutz and use Boca Ground Burger.  Want it to be Mexican flavored?  Add some peppers and taco seasoning.  Want it thicker?  Add a bag of frozen okra slices- they disintegrate mostly and add a lot of thickness.

What I’m saying is DO YOU THANG with this soup.

But consider yourself warned- though it is delicious, eating a whole pitcher of PITCHER O SOUP will make you want to tuck this recipe away for a long long time.  So, one or two bowls should suffice.

1. Lindsey
    posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 8:29 PM  |  reply

THIS LOOKS SO GOOD!!! And so easy!
    I am making this for dinner next week. Seriously. I hope my roommate is in the mood for soup.

2. Laura
    posted on Oct 08, 2008 at 9:33 PM  |  reply

looks delish. we had soup too. thats extra freaky. for real.

3. posted on Oct 09, 2008 at 2:50 AM  |  reply

Looks good. I make soups like that in my Crock-Pot all the time. Just dump everything in and cook it all day. No fuss, no muss.

4. posted on Oct 09, 2008 at 9:50 AM  |  reply

Ooooooo I’m so excited! I’m going to try to cook it tonight (if i can get to the store in time). Thanks for the recipe. Yum Yum!

5. posted on Oct 09, 2008 at 10:43 AM  |  reply

Oooooh! Yum. I’ve got a Costco rotisserie (had to look that one up) chicken in the fridge (already cooked, but I can add it later…at the end, I think). So now I need to get some garlic, some zucchini, and some parsley to make it tonight. That’s my goal. We’ll see. 🙂
    Thanks!

6. posted on Oct 09, 2008 at 5:02 PM  |  reply

Yes we will make it, but please note for your West coast readers, frozen okra does not exist in California.

7. posted on Oct 09, 2008 at 10:24 PM  |  reply

Mmmm Good. Mmmm Good. That’s why Annie’s soups are mmmmm mmmm good (Yes, I’m just that dorky).

I will definitely have to try this one (I love me some good soup).

8. posted on Oct 12, 2008 at 12:22 AM  |  reply

I made this soup tonight. All I can say is… Oh my, the goodness!

It really was quite scrumptious, as evidenced by the 4 bowls my gal pal and I devoured between the two of us.

Thanks again for the recipe! Yum! Yum!