It’s beautiful.

on October 17, 2008 in Sounds good to me. with 12 comments by

I have my friend Drew Worsham to thank for last night. [That sounds WAY more scandalous than it is… keep reading… I’m embarrassed…..]

Because I got to see probably my favorite singer/songwriter in concert last night- Phil Wickham.  [Now, Dave and Matt have no reason to get all up in arms, I still love their writing too.  Down, boys.]  But Phil.  There’s just something about his words.  Good gracious.

Summer of 05, Drew and I were riding in a car to the Atlanta airport and he said, “You’ve got to hear this guy.”  And voila.  I’m undone. And a permanent Phil Wickham fan.  Hence the reason I owe Drew the big thanks.

So Phil came to the ole Nashville and brought the band Fee along with him.  My hung-out-once-but-we’re-pretty-much-best-friends friend Brandon plays drums for Fee, so it was a double whammy of awesome.  Phil and a home friend?  Shut up.  Too good.  [And you will love that touchless Annie still has the ole “hug the home friends” problem, as I hugged Brandon probably 53 times.  Sorry, bro.  It’s part of my “moving issues”.]

I have never seen Brandon play the drums.  Sure, I knew it was his “job”, but I had never seen him in action.  And OH. MY. GOSH.  My friend is talented.  But its more than that.  I couldn’t stop watching him- there was this dude whom I love as a person TOTALLY moving to the rhythm of God’s heart.  He was smack in the middle of God’s purpose for him last night.  It was more than music, it was ministry.  It was beautiful.

I had a similar thought when I saw Melanie with her daughter Caroline.  The Melanie I knew before was just a friend with a daughter.  I’d never seen her in “action” as a mom.  The minute we were with Caroline, it’s like God breathed on Mel and suddenly she was walking in who He’s called her to be.  It was more than being a mom, it was ministry.  It was beautiful.

Amazingly, I have a lot of people I could tell you about here.  Suffice it to say that I am overwhelmed at the thought of listing all of you who I know have beautiful God’s purpose moments.  If you think, “I wonder if she would have listed me”, then yes.  I probably would have.

Phil has a song called “You’re Beautiful”.  You must listen to it.  I insist.  I know what you are thinking and no, I am not the boss of you.  But just GO HERE and download the FREE CD and listen.

In all honesty, its so true.  The Lord is beautiful.  And watching Him escort my friends into the very dead center of His plan for them, where their skills and talents and desires and His heart collide, is sometimes a bit too much for me.  It moves me deep.

I think I’m slowly creeping into that place.  I’m surely not a mom like Mel [wouldn’t that be an interesting twist if I was], nor am I a worship band drummer [though I wish I could be].  But I watch them.  And then I write about it, in my journal, on my computer, wherever.

I’m still figuring out what that beautiful place is for me.  And that’s okay.  In fact, its awesome.  So don’t be discouraged if you are still looking.

Because searching for who God made you to be?

It’s beautiful.

1. posted on Oct 17, 2008 at 11:51 PM  |  reply

Love Phil Whickam…love walking in who I am supposed to be and helping others see that in themselves…awesome blog topic, and life goal…living your strengths :o)
    Hope all is well with you!

2. Brandon Coker
    posted on Oct 18, 2008 at 12:40 AM  |  reply

That was very encouraging. Thank you so much for coming out. I loved getting to see you again. AND, every last hug was appreciated. Love ya dear.

3. posted on Oct 18, 2008 at 2:51 AM  |  reply

Did you know I have my RSS feeds divided into little folders?

One of the folders is titled, “Good Writers.”

That’s where your blog is filed.

I thought you might like to know…

🙂

4. posted on Oct 18, 2008 at 5:42 AM  |  reply

I love Phil Wickham too! When his first album came out my sister said she had a “musical crush on him” but then revised it to be a “Crush on his album”. I couldn’t have said it better!

My sis in law Beck and I were looking at your facebook and blog last night- she’s now as thoroughly convinced as I that we are all meant to be friends:)

5. posted on Oct 18, 2008 at 9:20 AM  |  reply

great post!! i love to read your blog.. you are truly a gifted writer. i get on here and just blubber about whatever and you make magic!! hugs and prayers…

6. posted on Oct 18, 2008 at 4:37 PM  |  reply

To use your words and alter them slightly… “watching Him escort (Annie) into the very dead center of His plan for (her), where (her) skills and talents and desires and His heart collide, is sometimes a bit too much for me. It moves me deep.” To read about what God is doing in you, in Nashville, well to use your words again “It’s beautiful.” I don’t know you personally, but reading your blog certainly encourages me while “I’m still figuring out what that beautiful place is for me.”

7. posted on Oct 18, 2008 at 10:05 PM  |  reply

I love what you said about your drummer friend “moving to the rhythm of God’s heart.” I’m going to have to share that with the drummer of our praise band. I think he’s in a rut.

Annie….that blog post was one of your purposeful moments. It was ministry, and it was beautiful. 😉

8. Laura
    posted on Oct 18, 2008 at 11:27 PM  |  reply

So, i took the advice you gave me and went here. And it ROCKED. Have you MET Phil Wickham? i did, and he rocks almost as much as you do. really.and that song is my fave, p.s.

9. posted on Oct 19, 2008 at 4:49 PM  |  reply

My word. You must have sensed I needed the encouragement that motherhood is my ministry. It has flat worn me out this weekend.

Thanks for the shout-out. You made my day.

10. Lindsay
    posted on Oct 20, 2008 at 12:07 PM  |  reply

Thanks for that Annie. I needed that today. By the way, sorry I dropped the ball on our intro-emails. I’ll get back on that this week.

11. posted on Oct 20, 2008 at 4:35 PM  |  reply

I would LOVE to see Phil live. (and I really love that song, too)

12. posted on Oct 20, 2008 at 10:04 PM  |  reply

Great post and great song! As a drummer, hearing comments like “you totally captured the rhythm or beat of God’s heart” during a set is the BIGGEST compliment any drummer could ever receive. It’s so humbling to ponder on all that the Lord has done in me through music and worship…words cannot even describe the feeling. Again, great post!