Coffee shops.

on January 28, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 17 comments by

By the way, I should have NEVER said “I promise” at the end of that last post.

That was dishonest and I apologize.

You know I spent time in Waco, TX this weekend and, this won’t shock you, I spent a large chunk of my money time at a local coffee shop called Common Grounds.  I’m second degree friends with the owner, Jill.  [You know, my friend is friends with her… so second degree.]

And this morning Kat asked me to directly compare Common Grounds and Frothy Monkey.

**Before this post continues, please remember that all the opinions expressed on this here blog belong to this here blogista.  And it is okay if you disagree with me.  And it is okay if you agree with me.  And it is okay if you agree to disagree with me.**

Common Grounds gets one big point for the weather last weekend.  Agreed, they had NOTHING to do with the weather, but it was just super nice to sit outside with my chai, wearing flip flops, and read my book club book.

Frothy, on the other hand, is located in Nashville, which presently, I’m wearing a long sleeve shirt, turtle neck sweater, and pea coat, sitting under 2 blankets.  So yeah, it’s cold.

CG 1 FM 0

Common Grounds has a really REALLY cool vibe.  Almost akin to the Fido vibe, which you know I am not cool enough to pull off.  Oh, but I want to be.  Real bad.

Frothy loves me as I am, while still remaining very cool and trendy.  Frothy is like your super cool older brother who is the star football player but still gives you a ride to school.  Common Grounds is your older brother’s best friend, who hangs out at your house and knows your name, but he is so cool that he still makes you a little nervous.

CG 1 FM 1

The outside of Common Grounds has some great seating and a stage for musicians to perform.  I bet that it is amazing in the fall when Texas starts to cool off.  [Does Texas ever cool off?]

Frothy does have tables outside, but they aren’t comfy and cutesy.  Just metal tables and chairs.

CG 2 FM 1

Common Grounds makes a delicious chai.

So does Frothy.

[Can I take this moment to say that I miss my non-fat white chocolate mocha, stirred, with no whip?  Cause I do.  I’m a tea drinker now, but that doesn’t mean I don’t miss the good ole days of coffee consumption.]

CG 3 FM 2

Common Grounds is in Waco.

Frothy is in Nashville.  [And I live in Nashville, just in case you needed to understand why that earns Frothy a point.]

CG 3 FM 3

We ran into our friend Sean [he runs an awesome non-profit called Falling Whistles] and got to hang with him a little bit at Common Grounds.

Today at Frothy I saw Seth, Skip, Chris, Greg, Rachael, Molly, Nicole, Krista, Rusty, and Mary Katherine.

CG 4 FM 10

Common Grounds is the very best coffee shop that Waco has to offer.  Great drinks, great atmosphere, totally cool vibe, lots of couches and chairs, and a rad place to go hear a show.

But Frothy Monkey stole my heart five months ago and I’ve always been a one-coffee-shop kind of gal.  Just ask Jittery Joe’s.  [deep sigh… I miss you, Athens, Georgia.]

To answer your question Kat, while I do agree that Common Grounds is awesome, Frothy is still #1 to me.

Congrats, Frothy Monkey.  You have won one of the most unimportant awards in the world- Annie’s List of Favorites.

So here’s my question to y’all-

What’s your favorite coffee shop in your city?

[And you can SO say Starbucks, because there is something quite beautiful about the consistency it offers across the globe.  I don’t judge you.]

1. pzc
    posted on Jan 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM  |  reply

I see via AP’s blog that you have challenged me to a tetris match.

I’ll give you a few weeks to train. It’s on. Set the date.

2. Southern Gal
    posted on Jan 28, 2009 at 4:01 PM  |  reply

It was a little place called Cups until it closed its doors. Coffee shop/book store/antique mall all wrapped into one. Seeing as I live in a small town, I can’t say there’s another one that has taken its place other than a Starbucks in the next big town over.

3. posted on Jan 28, 2009 at 4:56 PM  |  reply

Dave Barnes (apparently, my second degree friend) will be at Common Grounds next month, so I believe that brings the tally up to CG 9 – FM 10.

😉

As much as I do love my little town, I agree with the Nashville/Waco point assessment.

Can’t wait to check out FM someday.

Incidentally, and quite obviously, my fav coffee shop is Common Grounds. Actually, a friend and I went there just last night. Love it…

Thanks for dedicating a whole post to my humble little question!

4. Barb-a-licious
    posted on Jan 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM  |  reply

Jittery Joes!! And also Two Stories which is this new one that opened in five points. Me likey because they also serve…..wait for it…………wait for it.

5. Barb-a-licious
    posted on Jan 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM  |  reply

gelato!

6. posted on Jan 28, 2009 at 6:44 PM  |  reply

honolulu has a serious shortage of cool atmosphere + good coffee. i like the coffee at coffee bean, but starbucks is way better for studying/meeting. so its either awesome drink to go or barely tolerable drink and a nice place to work.
    you would think they’d open a super hip and cozy coffee shop with an ocean view patio…i mean come on…its hawaii for crying out loud.

7. Face
    posted on Jan 28, 2009 at 10:10 PM  |  reply

There’s a shop attached to our ReStore (never heard of ReStore? Think Goodwill for discarded homegoods and building equipment… and all run by Habitat for Humanity… genius). Anyway, Julia’s Coffee is attached to ReStore, most of its proceeds go to Habitat, and it’s precious and displays a friend’s art. So yay.

8. Julianne
    posted on Jan 28, 2009 at 10:11 PM  |  reply

Higher groundz was a really good coffee shop that my town used to have….but then it got closed! so now Starbucks has taken its place on my list of favorites

9. posted on Jan 28, 2009 at 11:59 PM  |  reply

ummm. no cool coffee shops around here. and i refuse to pick starbucks, although i do love their caramel fraps and cinnamon dolce lattes…

i LOVED common grounds- amazing atmosphere and the beverage was fab as well..

10. posted on Jan 29, 2009 at 1:50 AM  |  reply

well, this whispers right to my heart (obviously) but i’m gonna have to catagorize by city…
    athens: it was cups. i had my “nook” – my little corner on the couch. and they knew me (and my order) by name.
    nashville: JJs. it’s weird and random, but i love it. probably mostly b/c it has a couch 🙂

but i’m SUPER excited about helping jill open a CG east (nashville) in the future…for sure.

11. Jules
    posted on Jan 29, 2009 at 2:16 AM  |  reply

The Roasterie and Broadway Cafe are the best/ coolest spots I’ve found in Kansas City, although Broadway regulars have a tendency to glower you with a most furious, territorial eye when they don’t recognize you. These two coffee shops are, nevertheless, MUSTS if you find yourself in my boring city…

12. posted on Jan 29, 2009 at 6:21 PM  |  reply

Espresso Royale. Hands down the best. They are mosly in Big 10 college towns (of which I have lived in two).

yea for coffee.

13. posted on Jan 29, 2009 at 11:08 PM  |  reply

My favorite coffee shop is My Kitchen. It’s always open, homey and familiar and I never know who will drop by to see me in my pajamas at 2pm.

14. Kelli
    posted on Jan 30, 2009 at 8:01 AM  |  reply

There’s a cute little coffee shop in our new town called Common Grounds and I love it because it’s in an old house and right on the Beaufort waterfront. That said, a little of my heart will always belong at Jittery’s in Five Points.

15. HP
    posted on Jan 30, 2009 at 8:39 AM  |  reply

Without a doubt, my favorite in my current town is Jittery Joe’s!

16. becca p
    posted on Feb 03, 2009 at 7:20 PM  |  reply

no. texas does NOT ever cool off.

hi annie! i have never commented on your blog til right now!

17. caren
    posted on Feb 08, 2009 at 10:34 PM  |  reply

If everyone loves and misses Jittery’s so much you should COME TO ATHENS!! It would be so fun and just like old times!!
    And we can introduce you to Two Story- you’d love it! and the gelato of course!!