Positive Post Tuesday

on February 10, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 17 comments by

Welcome to Positive Post Tuesday. This is a regular thing over at Brody’s blog, but he’s a giver, so he’s passing it around.  [And apparently that makes me a taker.  Whoopsie daisy.]quilt_kathleen

Speaking of givers, I’ve got one to talk about today.  My friend Kathleen.  You know her- she helped me make a quilt.

Let me tell you about Kathleen.  She has known me since I was 12 and loved me the whole way through.  Even during the my awkward middle school and my [sadly] equally awkward high school.  She supported me via phone and email in college and when I moved back to ATL, hanging with Kathleen and family was a top priority.

She gets me.  She knows me.  She has stuck through a lot with me.  She started out as our middle school small group leader and has morphed into one of my best friends.  Kathleen knows almost everything about me, even the embarrassing thoughts and ridiculous ideas and top hilarious secrets. She totally cracks me up, knows how to make marshmallows from scratch, and lets me hang out at her house pretty much whenever I want for as long as I want.

Kathleen only yelled at me once.  She’s naturally pretty shy and getting her to raise her voice is quite a feat. So I’ll tell you about it.  It was the summer before my senior year of high school and we were all sitting on bunk beds at church camp.  I was in a bad place personally- really discouraged and defeated.  I remember saying outloud, “I’m just too ugly”.  Out of nowhere- quiet Kathleen began to YELL at me in a VERY angry voice, “That is a LIE!  You are BEAUTIFUL!  You STOP believing that RIGHT NOW!” and she went on and on.  Uncomfortably long.  Awkwardly loud and direct.  In my mind, I even remember seeing her arms flailing and her fists slamming on the mattress.

No one, NO ONE, had ever seen her this mad, especially not towards one of us.  And in that moment- her face, her tone, her volume- it changed my life forever.

Now that we are both adults [uh, am I an adult?], I truly love her and consider her one of my dearest friends.  I don’t know that I’ve ever taken enough time or space to thank Kathleen for loving me well all these years and for letting me become a member of her family.  So here you go, Kathleen.  What could a deeply shy person want more than a public blog post of thanks?

Yeah, you’re welcome Kathleen.  You can beat me later.

Now for all you bloggers out there- all you have to do is write something positive about somebody or something or somewhere, then fill out the box below. It is so easy and seriously, if you knew how much work it took Andy Merrick me to get this Mr. Linky working right, you’d really want to play along.  Just cause you feel sorry for Andy Merrick having to deal with me.

1. posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 12:23 AM  |  reply

very cool post, annie! i never even asked what positive post tuesday was. and now i know. mister linky still gives me the mister willies, but maybe i’ll bloggy blog some positive post tomorrow morning and use that magical widget. i was driving home from work tonight and said, ‘ze bloggy goodness’ out loud as a car cut me off. thought you’d like to know!

2. ginger
    posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 2:12 AM  |  reply

So I wrote a post, but I’m *way* new at blogging & so not a writer so I haven’t linked ’cause I don’t want to embarrass anyone (mostly me). Just wanted to say thanks for the idea!

3. ginger
    posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 2:23 AM  |  reply

Oh & I just read about you over @ Lora Lynn’s blog (& saw your pic–cute!) Sounds like you are Wonder Woman!

4. posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 8:40 AM  |  reply

1. You do NOT have to be a writer to do a PPT. People don’t care about your style, they just want to hear who you love. Link it up, sister.

2. LoraLynn is Wonder Woman. I just held baby #5 for a bit.

5. Miss Jan :)
    posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 9:39 AM  |  reply

you are beautiful, Annie. And super talented!!!!

6. posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 10:56 AM  |  reply

I love friends like Kathleen. So glad you have her in your life, Annie!

(And thanks for hosting PPT.)

7. posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 1:17 PM  |  reply

To think I’ve been reading all of these Positive Posts and not taking part when Tuesdays at WTLF are reserved for Testimonies. Can’t get much more positive than that :-).

Great post here by the way! One can never have too many friends like Kathleen!

8. posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 1:43 PM  |  reply

Annie, love this idea! I found you through Brody’s blog, and thought I join in!

9. posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 1:45 PM  |  reply

[…] Post Tuesday This is my first P-P-T post, and I have to say, I love this idea Annie.  Today, I want to take a moment to say how thankful I am for my […]

10. posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 1:53 PM  |  reply

[…] go read some more Positive Posts at AnnieBlogs; she is this week’s hostess.  (You should be reading her blog, anyway.) Possibly related […]

11. posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM  |  reply

What a beautiful post.

And I can’t figure out Mr. Linky. But it doesn’t matter b/c I only have about 2 readers anyway. 🙂

12. posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 5:41 PM  |  reply

good post, she sounds like a great woman. I like the quilt too!

I also like your blog header, did you draw that?

13. posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM  |  reply

[…] ~Positive Post Tuesday. […]

14. posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 7:13 PM  |  reply

thanks for hosting.

(when i tried to comment mr linky freaked out and put another link, #11. sorry about that.)

15. posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 8:06 PM  |  reply

I love your quilt and got very excited when I saw one of the pieces. Did you go to Asbury? I have a lot of friends who went to seminary and my brother-in-law and his wife graduated from the college a few years ago. It would be so exciting for me if you knew some of my family!

16. posted on Feb 10, 2009 at 11:51 PM  |  reply

I also wrote about a friend who had the guts to remind me of the blessings in my life and to stop dwelling on the difficulties.

Those t-shirt quilts are great! Wish I didn’t wear my t-shirts into rags.

17. posted on Feb 11, 2009 at 1:05 PM  |  reply

What a blessing to have a friendship like that!

Hey, Annie, I met you in line for lunch at Blissdom on Saturday. It was nice to meet you; just wish we’d had more time to chat (although, given that ridiculously long line, we did have some time, didn’t we?).

~ Mary