It only takes a day.

on March 4, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 31 comments by

Do you half-wish I would bust into “it only takes a spark, to get a fire go-o-ing”?  Welcome back, Summer Camp 1986 Annie.  I’ve missed you and your curly perm.  [Don’t ask. I won’t show you a picture.]

Today I was drawn to the story of Joseph in Genesis. You know him- technicolor dream coat, sold by his brothers, ends up in Egypt, gets wrongly thrown in jail for being gentlemanly to Potiphar’s wife. [Seriously, God should have hired me to write the Bible. I just summarized, like, 2 chapters in 1 sentence. I’m good y’all.] [Mama, am I in trouble for making a Bible joke? I was just kidding. God knows I wasn’t the best writer for the job.]

So Joseph sits in jail for a LONG TIME. And then God gives him the correct interpretation for Pharaoh’s dreams and Joseph, in one day, goes from prisoner to top dog.  Literally.  Pharaoh, in Genesis 41:41, puts Joseph in charge of the whole land of Egypt.

Joseph prayed to get out of jail for a long time. There were even other prisoners released that said they would put a good word in for our man Joe. But they forgot.  For TWO YEARS. Uh, fellas, this isn’t like forgetting to put your dishes in the dishwasher. THIS IS FORGETTING TO GET A FRIEND OUT OF JAIL, DUMMIES.

But then in one day. One command. Joseph’s whole life changed. I bet he thought there was a chance he’d be in there forever. But God knew different.

I’m sure there are things you’ve been praying for. Maybe for a really long time. Or situations that are sad or crappy [sorry about the language, Mama. Strike 2].  I know I have a list of things in my life that feel like I’ve been in a jail cell begging to get out. To no avail.

Today I simply just want to bring you encouragement, friend. IT ONLY TAKES ONE COMMAND. One day. And the whole situation, your whole situation, can change. Don’t give up. DON’T QUIT PRAYING.

Sitting here, I could not get Beth Moore’s Patriarchs study out of my mind. So I hopped up, grabbed the book, and flipped to the lesson on Joseph being forgotten.  And of course, because God RULEZ, my favorite Beth Moore quote EVER is in this exact lesson-

“Heaven is replete with angelic activity as God faithfully completes in the spiritual realms what He will release in the visible realms when the time is right.” -Beth Moore

Yes. Yes. and Yes.

So go back to God again today, bring that same topic up again, beg again, ask again, seek again, knock again, cry again. Whatever. But just know, one day soon, because He is faithful, He will release down here what He’s doing up there.

And according to Joseph’s life, it’s worth the wait. But you’ll have to take his word for it- not mine. I’m the prisoner chained beside you, sharing a story of freedom that gave me hope.

1. posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 8:13 AM  |  reply

This gave me goosebumps – and I do believe that this is what God means when he says to encourage each other in the Lord. Ya Mama done good – and she should be terrible proud! Even if you did say crap. 🙂

2. Southern Gal
    posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 8:29 AM  |  reply

I’m struggling with one little issue today. It may not seem big to most, but it’s big to me. After reading Angie Smith’s blog and then this, I realize God is telling me to keep at it. Let Him have it and don’t give up. Keep praying for that answer.

Thanks Annie.

3. Barbalicious
    posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 8:32 AM  |  reply

Good word Annie! I needed this so thank you.

4. posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 8:46 AM  |  reply

Same song. Same perm. Different campfire somewhere in Texas 1986… wow, how a song can take you back. Thanks for holding out the WORD of TRUTH. IMMENSELY encouraging… Thanks for being a spark!

5. posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 8:55 AM  |  reply

Girl, I am going to have Pass it On in my head all day! Thanks for the tune and the good word…prayer is so amazing and God’s time, so perfect! Enjoy the day!

6. posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 9:24 AM  |  reply

Thanks for this encouragement today!

7. posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 10:20 AM  |  reply

Thank you, Annie. I’ve been slacking off on praying about my biggest issue; you could almost say I’ve given up. But He hasn’t. Time for me to start talking to God…

8. posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 11:05 AM  |  reply

Annie,

God sent a good word through you today. Thank you for sharing this encouragement.

God is so faithful, even when we think He’s being silent. Us prisoners can’t be reminded of that often enough.

Thank you sister! I needed that today.

His love,
    Kelly

9. posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 11:11 AM  |  reply

so true, so true!! God is faithful and He does answer prayer!! Hubby and I are going into full time Christian service because God answers prayer!! We have simply continued to pray… God, if this is your will, make it happen. and things have just started falling into place!! God is Good!

10. Adria
    posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 11:12 AM  |  reply

This is beautiful Annie. 🙂 Don’t ever stop writing.

11. posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 11:36 AM  |  reply

I’m printing this and putting it up where I can read it EVERY DAY. You have no idea how timely this is for me. But God did…. 🙂

12. posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 11:44 AM  |  reply

i needed to hear this today..thanks, girl.

13. KP
    posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 12:12 PM  |  reply

This is one of your very best. And thank you for being God’s messenger of encouragement to weary souls such as me.

14. Shana
    posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 12:47 PM  |  reply

You did it again, Annie! Thank you for loving Jesus and sharing what He gives you with us. Your writing is so timely and encouraging! And as a Mama, I love that you were thinking of your Mama. 🙂

15. posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 1:37 PM  |  reply

Thanks for the encouragement today Annie! I really needed it! 🙂

16. posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 2:30 PM  |  reply

What a good word. And just to reiterate what you already said so well, this happened for me last year. In one day, my life changed dramatically. Well, it felt dramatic at least. A problem that my husband and I have struggled with for years was in one day removed. Just. Like. That. God is amazing!!!

17. christine
    posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 4:44 PM  |  reply

I love this story and you reminding us is great. One of my favorite lessons from this story is that not only is God always working but He is working for us to be victorious! If you have never seen the series by Andy Stanley on Joe Jacobson–you should. His bottom line through the whole series is “Joseph did what anyone would do if they were totally convinced God was at work”–it is awesome.

18. posted on Mar 04, 2009 at 11:56 PM  |  reply

Girl, this post was spot on. I mean just amazing. Seriously, thanks for sharing and encouraging.

19. Mandy Mann
    posted on Mar 05, 2009 at 12:00 AM  |  reply

So funny when you say “mama am i in trouble for making a Bible joke” Girl…thats encouraging…i need GOD to come release me with one command..from many prisons….whewee!!! Hope you are well. Calling you soon

20. posted on Mar 05, 2009 at 12:28 AM  |  reply

Annie, this almost brought me to tears. This is what I need to hear today. Thank you. (:

21. posted on Mar 05, 2009 at 12:34 AM  |  reply

That last line is one of the reasons you’re a writer.

22. posted on Mar 05, 2009 at 12:49 AM  |  reply

Loved this. Needed to be reminded of the many times God has changed my life in just one day. Thanks!

23. posted on Mar 05, 2009 at 12:17 PM  |  reply

this is beautiful. and right where i am right now. i think about this with lazarus, too. mary and martha were so disappointed that Jesus did not come as soon as they let him know that lazarus was dying. but God’s plan was a lot bigger than there’s and Jesus had to disappoint his friends for the will of God and waited 4 days til he went to them and raised him from the dead. good stuff. praying for you, too, annie…may we all know God’s plan is bigger than our own and He knows what He is doing all the time…
    much love!!!

24. posted on Mar 05, 2009 at 4:19 PM  |  reply

1) In your next post, please provide suggestions for how we can remove unwanted music from our minds. (ie: pass it on)
    kthx.
    2) If you’re in trouble, I’m in trouble. I always make Bible jokes.
    3) Thanks for the wisdom today. and the Beth.

25. posted on Mar 05, 2009 at 4:55 PM  |  reply

Yes! I’m speaking on Psalm 42 this Sunday and it’s right in there, right what you’re describing so well.

Nice.

26. posted on Mar 05, 2009 at 5:12 PM  |  reply

This was absolutely, positively, exactly what I needed to hear/read today. Thank you.

27. posted on Mar 05, 2009 at 10:35 PM  |  reply

You rocked my WORLD with this, Annie.

28. posted on Mar 06, 2009 at 1:56 AM  |  reply

Thanks so much for this Annie, I needed it.

29. posted on Mar 06, 2009 at 8:54 PM  |  reply

I would love to post this on my blog with a link back to here this post hits home in so many ways and brings so many people to mind I hope you don’t mind.
    Shelly
    p.s. in case you do mind just drop me a note in my comment section and I will take it down 🙂

30. posted on Mar 08, 2009 at 8:18 PM  |  reply

What would I do without some good, solid Annie-wisdom to get me through a emotional weekend? You’ve been used, girlie.

31. Phil Shay
    posted on Mar 14, 2009 at 12:03 AM  |  reply

Annie. Sonnie’s been asking me to read this for the past two weeks and I meant to, but just hadn’t until right now. Thank you. You’re incred. I need this fresh perspective! You write it SO WELL too!! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.