March 12, 2006.

on March 18, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 11 comments by

You know what’s funny about me being me? Sometimes I start writing blog posts for a specific day [March 12] and then totally forget to finish them on the right day and instead they get written and posted on bizarrely unrelated days [March 18].  Some might call it “idiotic”, I prefer “charmingly scatterbrained”. Tomatoes, TomAHtoes.  Right?

So enjoy this post, even though it is six days late.

On March 12, 2006, I owned a house in Marietta, Georgia. I taught 4th grade to possibly the most challenging collection of children that have ever been forced to live in the same room for 180 days. I worked tirelessly with the youth group at church and was pretty sure I had found the life I had always wanted [give or take a husband and 2.5 children].

And apparently, on March 12, 2006, I sat down at my computer and decided to write a list titled “Hebrews 11:41”. A list of things that I was going to, in faith, believe God for, just like the people listed in Hebrews 11. Now mind you, I didn’t write professionally at all at this point and I didn’t exactly have any plans that were out of the metro-Atlanta school teacher box. Hence the reason finding this document in the recesses of my computer totally shocked me. [I seriously was just going through my documents on my computer trying to clean the junk out when I ran across this one that hadn’t even been opened since I wrote it.]

In an effort to guard my heart, I’m not going to regurgitate the entire list right here, but I do want to share with you the last three things on the list. Because if I was going to be really honest with you, I’d tell you that it almost freaks my freak to read these things that I wrote so long ago.

“By faith, Annie….
– Was provided for financially.
– Laid aside the common to take up the holy.
– Let go of a steady salary to depend on the Lord to provide for her as she followed His lead.”

Here I am, March 18, 2009, tearing up in the soap aisle at Target because I fear that brand name shampoo will send me over my budget. Yet three years ago I prayed and declared before God and my computer that by FAITH I was going to trust Him to provide for me financially. So that must be what this is.

So what I’m trying to tell you is that, much like the shower curtain situation, God is reminding me again that He literally knows everything- before I was a writer, before I quit teaching, before I packed up my life and moved to Nashville, God spoke to my heart and called me to deeper levels of faith. I don’t think she would have loved giving up brand name shampoo, but I do think Annie 2006 would find this whole thing pretty dang cool.

I tell you all this because I want you to experience this too. Go back, pull out some old journals or old word documents, and watch as God shows you how He has literally spent years preparing you for today.  Whether your today is life-changing or seemingly mundane, He made you for it. Brand name shampoo or not, I’m choosing to embrace today because it was three years in the making.

I love that His dreams for me in 2006 are His reality for me in 2009.

Booyah.

1. ali
    posted on Mar 18, 2009 at 8:04 AM  |  reply

I love ya. You inspire me.
    Miss ya!

2. posted on Mar 18, 2009 at 9:23 AM  |  reply

So cool, Annie.

I recently dug into a box of letters I wrote to my husband (and never gave him) about 7 years ago. To see where I was (we were) and where I am (we are) NOW is quite a blessing.

God comes through.

3. LL
    posted on Mar 18, 2009 at 11:30 AM  |  reply

I’ve got 10 years worth of journals sitting in my closet. I get one out to find a little tidbit and I get all caught up in it and two hours later, my children have burned the house down but I remember what it felt like to be 15. Sounds like a plan for the day. Thanks.

4. posted on Mar 18, 2009 at 12:17 PM  |  reply

i recently went back one year on my google calendar and it was crazy/beautiful to realize how different my life has become.

you’ve inspired me to create my own hebrews 11 list.

5. Shannon
    posted on Mar 18, 2009 at 2:29 PM  |  reply

Makes me wonder what dreams He has for me in 2009 that will be a reality in 2012! Great post, friend. Thanks for it 🙂

6. posted on Mar 18, 2009 at 3:18 PM  |  reply

love this! i recently re-read my journal from the time when i was praying through whether to move to new york or not. God blew me away without me even realizing it!

7. posted on Mar 18, 2009 at 6:11 PM  |  reply

Hey Annie! I hope all is well! I read your blog today and TOTALLY related! Just last night, I pulled out a prayer journal from 2007 and started reading all that I was praying for at that time. It is amazing how God grows us over the years if we seek His will! Thanks for such an encouraging blog!!!

8. posted on Mar 18, 2009 at 9:00 PM  |  reply

your pretty incredible friend. really encouraging.

9. posted on Mar 18, 2009 at 11:47 PM  |  reply

Great post. It challenges me to see God at work in my life when I think I’m just going with the flow. Every new day is a product of God’s grace for 21 years and counting. He’s so good. Thanks for your blog. I appreciate it,
    Travis (super early Mocha Club volunteer guy)

10. Sarah
    posted on Mar 19, 2009 at 2:02 PM  |  reply

Annie– You have no idea how perfect the timing of you posting & me reading this is. Just another lesson for me about the perfect timing of everything in life. Thank you for giving me a much needed boost of faith. You rock.

11. posted on Apr 09, 2009 at 8:16 PM  |  reply

AMen! I have totally been there. I love how God works!