Denise Hildreth made me do it.

on April 27, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 14 comments by

So for years I have read and LOVED the work of Denise Hildreth. And in November, when we were sitting in the same room and she introduced herself to the class, I wanted to stand up and scream, “I LOVE THE WAY YOU WRITE!!” but that would have been embarrassing. [And complimentary, I guess, to some degree. But embarrassing.]

So during our lunch break, I went over to her and blabbered something or another and at the end of the conversation, I was friends with one of my very favorite authors.

And then she asked me to do something that I do. not. do.

Denise Hildreth, author I love and respect, asked me to talk about being single.

I don’t know if you know, but there are 2 things I don’t blog about. EVER. Especially not in a serious fashion. And being single at 28 is one of them.

But because Denise Hildreth asked me to do it, I did.

So you may not like clicking over, or you genuinely may not care [which is totally fine], but if you want to hear my thoughts about the fact that I am still single but praying and hoping to be married at some point, this is possibly your only chance.

Unless Denise Hildreth asks me to do it again. Because apparently, she is the boss of me.

Annie’s Interview Part 1

Annie’s Interview Part 2

Annie’s Interview Part 3

Annie’s Interview Part 4

Annie’s recipe and movie recommendation

[I think there will be a few more posts this month, so I’ll add them as they are posted.]

1. posted on Apr 27, 2009 at 7:30 PM  |  reply

Annie, I love the interview. You have such a heart from God! You are such an inspiration. I miss you and would love to hear from you!

2. posted on Apr 27, 2009 at 7:32 PM  |  reply

I haven’t clicked over yet (BUT I WILL!) but I shouted when I started reading this post. Like a real live amen shout. I LOVE DENISE. I was in darkness (meaning I didn’t know of her) until she came to my church to speak a few months back and now I’m in LOVE. Savannah from Savannah is written the way I talk to my friends. Ok, so now that I’ve officially gushed over someone else on your blog, I’m heading over to check out your interview 🙂

3. posted on Apr 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM  |  reply

Annie, thank you so much for sharing your heart with us (through Denise).

And oh my goodness, I LOVE Denise’s books! Those crazy families she writes about just remind me so much of my own family. Crazy. Southern. Crazy.

And oh yeah, I have a cheese addiction, too. I hope you’ll share the cure on the blog if you ever find one! 😉

4. Face
    posted on Apr 27, 2009 at 9:02 PM  |  reply

Yay! Loved the interview and your answers.
    And your b/w picture looks so pretty on that site!

5. posted on Apr 27, 2009 at 9:57 PM  |  reply

Annie, I read your first interview and you could have been saying what I have said and what the women in my Bible study say. We are right there with you sister (Only we are in our 30s and STILL Single). I turn the dreaded 40 this year and they say I have better odds at winning the lottery or getting struck by lightening then getting married – – so I’ve started buying lotto tickets.

I’ll be back to read the rest of your interviews – – but since I’m almost as old as dirt, I gotta get to bed. : – ) Have a great week — oh, and lets keep the 40 thing hush, hush.

6. posted on Apr 27, 2009 at 10:30 PM  |  reply

Thanks for doing the interview Annie… even if it was forced upon you! 🙂 From one single girl to another, I always appreciate it when I hear (read) other girls (women) being honest about where they are at in this whole single thing.

7. posted on Apr 28, 2009 at 4:02 AM  |  reply

Annie, I’m so glad you posted this interview. I feel like I missed an opportunity with you at Mt. Hermon!

I’m one of those who will just about never ask someone about singleness or childlessness or any of those things–probably because I was 31 when I married and 40 when I had my first child and I know how annoying/intrusive/painful some of the questions can be.

But I also know how absolutely worth it is to wait for God in those areas.

At my sister’s (1st) wedding, the videographer stuck the mic in my face and asked how it felt to have my little sister get married before me. I mumbled something about not finding anyone worth marrying yet and spent the rest of the night avoiding him.

After the festivities I went back to my empty apartment to eat wedding cake in my bridesmaid dress by the light of the Christmas tree. I had my own personal Twilight Zone moment when I turned on the TV and ended up on “Brigadoon.” Have you ever seen it? The opening scene is all about this whole village preparing for a big wedding. The wedding of the younger sister. The girls are all singing a song and say, “But when lassies sit an’ have no men,
    Oh, how long becomes the night.”

The older sister responds with, “But I fear the night is longer when the lad’s no’ right.” If cell phones had existed then, I’d have downloaded that song as my ringtone!

I love your heart for helping other young women find their place in Christ. And I hope we get another opportunity to have an un-serious conversation about whatever.

8. posted on Apr 28, 2009 at 9:16 AM  |  reply

You inspire me.

9. Laurie
    posted on Apr 28, 2009 at 10:58 AM  |  reply

I read your interview and just love the way you communicate where you are at in this “singleness.” And I agree with you that you have come to know God in a different way than if you had married young. I married at 21 and put way too many expectations on my young husband. I sought from him what I should have been seeking from God alone. We as women tend to think a man will be the answer to it all which I think breaks God’s heart when He knows that HE is to be our First and Forever Love. That thought pattern must be taught and I’m thankful you are sharing that with young women especially.

10. posted on Apr 28, 2009 at 11:01 AM  |  reply

So, now that I own you:)

Actually it is apparent by the comments that you’re story has really touched people. Thank you for being willing, okay, not so much, but thank you for doing it anyway. And now that I know my odds I think I’m going to start buying lotto tickets and check out “Bragadoon!”

Kinda scared now:)
    Take Care
    See you soon…
    Denise

11. posted on Apr 28, 2009 at 11:01 AM  |  reply

Okay- that should have been “your story…” Now you know why writers need editors. Because we’re pathetic at grammar…just saying.
    Denise

12. posted on Apr 28, 2009 at 9:38 PM  |  reply

I love Denise Hildreth!!! She is so incredible. I enjoyed reading your interviews – they were encouraging to me as I am a young single trying to look at the life in front of me with a grateful heart instead of a grumbling one. 🙂 Great work Annie!

13. Southern Gal
    posted on Apr 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM  |  reply

Hey! Denise is from my hometown!! I love her books and try to figure out who everyone is. I also love to read her blog and try to go see her when she comes to speak at her daddy’s church. Anywho…it is a small world.

BUT it’s so much more evident in the blogging world.

Now to go read the rest of the post.

14. posted on Apr 29, 2009 at 3:32 PM  |  reply

LOVED the interview. Thank you for sharing with your usual humor!!