13 months until 30.

on June 15, 2009 in THIRTY with 21 comments by

13_until_30We’ll talk about Africa soon. I promise.

But there are some looming situations [one main looming situation] that we need to deal with.

I’m less than 400 days from being 30.

Approximately 13 months until 30.

[Hence the little graphic here- wherein my face is way more discouraged than I really am. I just thought that picture was funny. And, I mean, I paid for the headshots, I should find a way to use them all. Right?]

I’m not stressed about turning 30. 29 feels like it’s gonna be a bit weird [on July 7th- I heart my birthday], but 30 doesn’t make me sad. This isn’t one of those “I’m scared of the next phase of my life blah blah blah…..”

I promise.

I do have some serious goals I want to meet by the time I’m 30. It’s just a good round number to work with, so I picked it. There are three main things that I want to accomplish by July 7, 2010. [I mean, there are a few more… but these three are the ones I’m willing to blog about… at this point.]

Ready? Here we go.

#1. I want to learn to play the piano.

• I’ve been looking for a creative outlet/hobby for when I need a break from writing. So the search began for something that I could do in my free time that doesn’t involve words or my computer. In the past few months, said outlet has been television. What. A. Waste. So I decided to learn to play the piano. I found a rather inexpensive teacher, I have a keyboard from high school, so I start lessons soon. Hilarious, right?

#2. I want to sew a blanket.

• I purchased a beautiful large piece of fabric in South Africa. And I want to turn it into a blanket- which involves using a sewing machine to sew together the fabric, batting, and a back. So my goal is to make this blanket and gain a working knowledge of how to use a sewing machine.

#3. I want to be fluent in French.

• Okay, I agree. A bit lofty. So let’s just say I want to be on my way to fluent. The actual goal is to learn every language on Earth. [I’m going to blog about that tomorrow.] But I’m going to start with French. I figure it will be beneficial in Canada, Europe, and Western Africa. This is the only goal that I don’t really have a plan for yet, but I will.

So here’s what I’m going to do. Every month, on/near the 30th, I’m going to update you on my goals. Hopefully by June 30th, I will have had a piano lesson… and I will have some idea of how to learn French.

And it will be 12 months until 30.

Weird.

1. posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 8:37 AM  |  reply

I love birthdays. I think these are great goals, and I think it’s especially cool that you are going to learn to play the piano! I look forward to hearing about your progress.

2. posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 9:32 AM  |  reply

not that pedagogy is my strong suit, but I do have a Master’s in French, so if you ever wanted to touch base about that and brainstorm, I’d be happy to sit down and talk…and then if/when you had some kind of learning structure in place, I’d be happy to help out with any tutoring…

3. AnnieBlogs
    posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 9:42 AM  |  reply

Yay Hitoshi!!! My Nash-friends are so multi-talented!! 🙂

4. Lindsay
    posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:21 AM  |  reply

French is useful in Haiti, too, BTW. 🙂 I heart Haiti! Rosetta Stone software is supposed to be the BEST at teaching you language. Africa was awesome! I loved going with you! 🙂

5. posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 11:03 AM  |  reply

Ha — I remember the trepidation of turning 30 quite well! Now as an almost 32-year-old (also a July baby) I can say that this is a great decade. I think it’s a stage in which, as you’ve alluded to, you really do begin to do those things that you’ve always wanted to do, and to do them with a determined attitude. I also think of one’s 30s as a good European film. The 20s was all American-style makeup and quick cuts and explosions and special effects, and now it’s about better pacing and natural lighting and being comfortable with how your face looks and pursuing those things you really care about, regardless of what anyone else thinks. What a relief.

Cameron

6. posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 11:40 AM  |  reply

Yay! I like this idea. I’m about 6 days ahead of you (turning 29 on July 1, so maybe the “about” in the previous message was unnecessary) and I’m thinking I should do this too! Sounds like it could make for quite the experience.

7. posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 12:09 PM  |  reply

What great, fun goals, Annie! I love this – and I can’t wait to read about your journey to 30. 🙂

8. posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 1:36 PM  |  reply

Turning 29 and turning 30 weirded me out, and I’m still not quite over it. I love that you have goals (and can’t wait to read all about them), kinda makes me wish I had done something productive in anticipation of this beloved decade instead of just weirding out. Oh, and I heart your birthday too, because it was my grandmother’s as well.

9. posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 2:45 PM  |  reply

Hey! So good to be here again. Your birthday is the same day as my favorite cousin’s. I can remember that one.

Your goals are great. Take the piano lessons, sew that blanket. The French would take me a while and I actually took three years of it in high school.

Are you going to be leaving the twenty something bloggers in 13 months? Hmmm.

10. posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 3:56 PM  |  reply

Those sound like GREAT goals!

11. posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM  |  reply

When I turn 30, I… oh, crap. I’m 38 already. I’m trying to forget French, buy a great blanket, and appreciate other people playing the piano.

Me?

I just want abs. And a new camera. And a faith that eats up everything until my whole life has been digested by Jesus.

12. posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM  |  reply

Annie, will the 20 sumthin bloggers excommunicate you for aging?

13. posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 9:03 PM  |  reply

Yeeess! You are finally catching up a bit. Slow and steady.
    Ok, so I’m old enough to be your mother, sort-of, in a creepy sort of “way too young to be pregnant” way. Don’t remind me.

14. posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:00 PM  |  reply

See? You’re so smart. I’m two months away from 30 and I have no goals. Sigh.

15. posted on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:07 PM  |  reply

That was a very creative (and subtle) way to remind everyone that your birthday is coming in less than a month! Well played miss, well played;)

16. posted on Jun 16, 2009 at 7:44 AM  |  reply

Those are some excellent goals and I feel sure you will achieve them! Unfortunately my 30’s are all but a a distant memory. I’m now in my 40’s… YIKES! I loved my 30’s and so far my 40’s are even better. So, work on those goals and enjoy the wisdom that comes with age.

17. posted on Jun 16, 2009 at 10:05 AM  |  reply

i took french in high school and i never use it so i remember very little!! it’s sad, i know…you are setting some good goals here girly!! i pray that you will meet and exceed them all!! love ya!

18. posted on Jun 16, 2009 at 10:07 AM  |  reply

oh, and i am going to be 34 this year (aug. 1) it’s not about the number it’s about what you with that year God gave you! you are awesome and i know you have done marvelous things with that year!! 😉

19. posted on Jun 17, 2009 at 2:49 AM  |  reply

Oh my gosh, you want to be me! (TOTALLY JOKING.)
    But.
    I play the piano.
    I can sew blankets.
    I speak (rudimentary) French.

And I’m 30 + 14.

I’m just saying.

20. posted on Jun 19, 2009 at 1:41 PM  |  reply

Lord love a duck. I’m an entire decade ahead of you, with 40 breathing hot and heavy down my neck (which is gross and really rather rude. it has bad breath.)!

And I haven’t set a single goal for the upcoming big event. Nary a one. Well, I had told myself I’d start exercising more than once every five years, but that sounds pathetic next to your list.

I’m going to go make a new list…right after eat some prunes, check the weather & gripe about it, and check the obituaries for people I know. Sigh. I might be too old for this blog.

21. posted on Jul 08, 2009 at 5:37 PM  |  reply

I live in West Africa. Well, if we’re getting technical, I live on a ship off the coast of Benin. If you’re headed this way, definitely conquer French first, but don’t worry your little head too much about grammar; they barely use it! =)