A story of trust… I hope.

on July 5, 2009 in Dreams Coming True with 40 comments by

The Thursday before I left for camp, a writing job that would have been SUPER financially helpful fell through. I went to Frothy Monkey, sat with my buddy Skip and cried, then went home and sulked. I reminded God and myself that when I moved to Nashville, I never agreed to be living paycheck to paycheck. “Dear God, I wanted to be rich. Amen.” Not quite His plan.

I felt Him whisper, “Trust Me, Annie.

To which I replied, “I think I’ll go watch TV now and pretend that all is right in the world.”

Thinking I would just up my nanny hours, I went to bed having concocted a solution.

Friday morning, my nanny family said that Nanny McAnnie could retire again. She was no longer needed – Mom was going to start working from home.

So in less than 24 hours, I lost all my income.

That doesn’t just happen. That’s God.

And in that moment, my perspective changed. I mean, I lost one job and got bitter. The second time, God wasn’t whispering that I should trust Him. He was LOUD about it. “TRUST ME.”

So I’m gonna.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because I want you to watch. I want you to see God show up for me. Because of His great love for me, I don’t have to worry. The Bible promises that God is my provider, that somehow, my July bills will get paid. Then August. Then September. And on and on.

I’m. Not. Worried.

I’m. Excited.

God has given me a chance to trust Him. To live in a way where honestly, y’all, if He doesn’t pull through for me, I’m in big trouble.

But He will.

And I want you to see it. I want you to see that trusting God is an honor. That the Bible is true and that when one of God’s names is Jehovah Jireh, “The Lord Who Provides”, He means it.

I’m doing my part- applying for jobs, not spending a penny, connecting with folks who may have work for me.

But I’m also watching and praying. Watching to see what God will do. Watching to see how this adventure plays out. And I hope, when this is all said and done, we will all stand and applaud a God who LOVES to show up for His children and surpass their expectations. I think this is going to be fun.

I’m not worried. In fact, I’m grateful.

verse

1. posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 1:34 PM  |  reply

Love you, Annie D.

2. posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 2:01 PM  |  reply

Thanks for letting us in on this story of trust. I know firsthand how HARD it is to really truly trust and lay aside worry. But we serve a God who NEVER forsakes those who take refuge in Him. I can’t wait to see how He works faithfully to provide for you!

3. jnt.
    posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 3:29 PM  |  reply

i hope i have daughters just like you. and i wish i had more friends like you. man, you inspired me today. brought tears to my eyes! i am SO PROUD to (kinda) know you. 😉 i love learning from you. praying and trusting with you!

4. posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 4:00 PM  |  reply

Just another opportunity for God to be BIG in your life.

5. posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 4:18 PM  |  reply

We’re right there with you Annie — as we discussed last week. And you may just become an object lesson in one of my “Deep Water” talks. No promises, but it sure seems to fit.

6. Ellen
    posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 4:27 PM  |  reply

Annie! I am watching expectantly! I know – as do you – that God will not let you down! Thank you for being bold and courageous and sharing the journey! The verse you quoted has carried me through many a dark night – Just knowing that His compassions are new every morning! My life verse is Joshua 1:9 – “have I not commanded you – be strong and courageous, for the Lord, your God is with you wherever you go” (and what ever you go through!)

7. posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 4:49 PM  |  reply

What a great attitude, Annie, and I know God is going to show up for you because that’s just what He does for His children! I can’t wait to see what happens.

8. posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 4:51 PM  |  reply

Brave girl. Love this. Love you.

9. posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 6:03 PM  |  reply

Wow! We can all learn a lot from this. It inspires me to be more faithful. Honestly putting your trust in God is so much easier said then done. I can’t wait to see how this plays out!!

10. Face
    posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 6:18 PM  |  reply

HE WILL HE WILL HE WILL!!!!
    And in 5 years you will have a whole NEW book of stories about times He provided perfectly.

11. Julianne
    posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 6:39 PM  |  reply

I know God has amazing plans for you:)

12. gulley
    posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 7:11 PM  |  reply

I love this. YOu are the best.

13. posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 7:48 PM  |  reply

I can’t WAIT to see what God has in store for you! And in the meantime, I will pray for His provision and your faith.

Lamentations 3 has spoken to my heart so many times. What a good word.

14. posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 8:53 PM  |  reply

psalm 62.

15. posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 8:53 PM  |  reply

and I love you for writing this.

16. Julianne
    posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 9:42 PM  |  reply

I’m leaving another comment:)

This is who you are in Christ and what your position is. God has awesome plans for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a future and hope (Jeremiah 29:11)

17. Travis
    posted on Jul 05, 2009 at 10:31 PM  |  reply

Keep faith sister. I’ll be a prayin. Ps. 37:25.
    Tbat

18. posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 7:01 AM  |  reply

WOW!!! not many could do what you are annie…trust God and not worry, i mean. not much of that these days, unfortunately. folks would be a lot happier if they did!! proud of you !! keep the faith and i’ll keep you in my prayers!! love ya!

19. posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 9:57 AM  |  reply

I’m excited to watch what God does for you too! Praying right now. What a great thing I need to practice in my own life… trust.

20. Valerie
    posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 10:04 AM  |  reply

Oh, Annie! I sent you an email. God will show up – right on time.

21. posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 10:38 AM  |  reply

thanks, annie. this is wonderful.

i will be praying for you. =)

22. posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 12:05 PM  |  reply

I am so encouraged by your faith… Thank you for that. And I will be watching to see how God provides; I know He will.

23. posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 1:27 PM  |  reply

Annie, I love your trust in God and your attitude towards this – you’re inspiring! I am praying for the perfect job to come up, that you will love! I’m certain that God will provide for you, and am looking forward to reading about the journey!

24. posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 2:46 PM  |  reply

Annie:

This WILL be a story of trust. Yesterday one of my pastor’s main points was “God honors steps of faith” and I instantly thought of you and your move to Nashville. He defined faith this way: “Faith is taking a step you know is right even though the outcome remains uncertain.” Trust Him, friend! He IS the God of Ephesians 3:20.

25. posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 3:40 PM  |  reply

Oh, Annie. This word couldn’t have come at a better time. In 3 weeks I will be moving to Alabama….jobless. I am leaving a wonderful job that I love for the unknown. But, there is one known. I do know that God wants me in Birmingham, so I have chosen to say “Here I am, send me.”

I’ve had a lot of time to think these past few days and I’ve realized that as friends have asked how I’m doing with the job search that I have put up such a front. A front of being okay when I’m really not.

So, thanks for the reminder to be honest….to tell others my fears, to give them to Our Father…and to watch Him show up!

Praying for you, sister!

26. posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 4:26 PM  |  reply

I SO know what living like this is like! It’s hard to trust, and i gave up on Nashville when i couldn’t pay the bills anymore, but will be praying for YOU that GOD will provide. And in the unexpected, he always does 🙂

27. posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 7:24 PM  |  reply

Waiting, watching, praying and preparing to be amazed by our God.

28. posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 8:16 PM  |  reply

Annie o, Annie.

This was wonderful. And I cried. I’ve see so many “Man, this happened and it sucks so pray for me” blogs all the time… but this is the very first time I’ve ever seen someone say “Watch. Just WATCH what God’s gonna do… it’ll blow us both away.”
    That, my friend, is wow. You are awesome. And I can’t wait to watch and see with you.

-g-

29. posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 9:57 PM  |  reply

I don’t know what to say. I didn’t want to say nothing. So I’m saying I don’t know what to say. And that is saying a lot.

30. posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 10:05 PM  |  reply

I don’t know if everyone would respond like you are choosing to, and that is inspirational. God will come through in the weirdest way, I’m sure. Because He is amazing and has big plans for you.
    I’ll be watching….

31. posted on Jul 06, 2009 at 10:40 PM  |  reply

YOU GO GIRL. You and your GOD!

I have a friend named Carol who is like the coolest girl on the planet. And Carol told me last week that she and her pregnant self and her husband and 2 boys were unexpectedly about to be homeless – again. And I just laughed. Because everytime Carol et al ends up potentially homeless, I just get so excited to see how God is going to provide for her this time. And do you know that every time he has UPGRADED her from the last place??

You are a Carol. And I am laughing in anticipation.

xo

32. posted on Jul 07, 2009 at 6:42 PM  |  reply

I have been there. And He did provide, in big and little ways.

33. Alyssa
    posted on Jul 07, 2009 at 10:40 PM  |  reply

I love it. I have totally beenn there. Can’t wait to hear what God does.

34. posted on Jul 08, 2009 at 12:57 PM  |  reply

read your blog. then saw this. http://theresurgence.com/rebels-guide-to-joy-fanny-crosby
    made me think of your situation.
    looking forward to watching Him come through for you.

35. posted on Jul 08, 2009 at 5:35 PM  |  reply

He WILL take care of you! I love it that you are here writing this…I love your faith, and I KNOW it pleases the Lord too! I have been feeling such a tug, just even in the last day to not worry about tomorrow. He’s whispered it to my hear over and over and over again, then helped me reign in my anxiety and worry…He provided for me today, and tomorrow I will wake up sure that He will do it again.

36. posted on Jul 10, 2009 at 1:30 PM  |  reply

Annie, my heart broke as I read your words. The life God has called you to is one that requires great trust and much courage. It has a plan — but He requires utter dependence on His grace & mercy. Not easy. I know.

Writing is HARD, but God is good. When God called me to this life over 10 years ago I thought I’d have a bestseller in a month. Not quite. It’s been a path of obedience and growth. It’s also been a path of great blessings. I’ve learned so much along the way and I’ve stumbled and fallen more times than I care to count.

God is faithful and I know you know that. It’s still good to hear from time to time.

Trust Him. Completely. Trust Him enough to hand it over. Give it to Him. Offer it up to His will — and trust that if He doesn’t bring it to pass it’s for the best.

Not easy to do. I still want the bestseller & the amazing speaking opportunities, but I want Him more! And I will walk away if going after this will make me move one inch away from Him.

Bless you! God has got a work for you!

37. presh
    posted on Jul 18, 2009 at 8:31 PM  |  reply

annie-
    BE ENCOURAGED–the Lord is soo faithful and will provide. I just got ended a 5 month stint without a job and yes, it was hard. yes, it was trying. yes it was frustrating. BUT the Lord was faithful and met me each and every day, reminding me to TRUST in Him b/c He has a plan. I want to share something I recently read (it is actually the commentary from John 11:5-7 in my study Bible) that gave me such encouragement; may it give you encouragement as well: “God’s timing, especially his delays, may make us think he is not answering or is not answering the way we want. But he will meet ALL our needs according to his PERFECT schedule and purpose. Patiently await his timing.”

His timing is not just perfect, but perfect for YOU. He is in control. Keep writing. Keep being true. Keep blogging. And He will provide in His perfect timing!

Thank you for sharing your sweet words. They are truly encouraging.
    presh

38. posted on Sep 01, 2009 at 9:25 AM  |  reply

[…] a young Georgia girl who moved to Nashville. She’s a writer and I love hearing about what God is doing in her life….and about her adventures in the kitchen. I don’t actually know Annie but she has […]

39. posted on Nov 27, 2009 at 8:40 PM  |  reply

[…] thing.” And I am going to publish this post because, I am going to make a bold declaration, like one of my favorite bloggers Annie did some time ago.  She told us, her readers, to just watch and see how God was going to provide for her. I want you […]

40. posted on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:41 PM  |  reply