I have a great cloud crowd.

on August 31, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 20 comments by

Yesterday in church, we sang one of my favorite worship songs, Agnus Dei. [Which I just learned is Latin for “lamb of God”. That rules.] Here’s a great video of Third Day and Michael W. Smith singing the song, if you don’t already know it.

[And I’m going to take this chance to totally point out my friend Aimee at the 2:01 mark. She and Stephanie are gonna kill me, but I can’t help but wave at the screen when their pretty faces go by.]

Back to the story. As we sang, “Holy, holy, are You, Lord God Almighty” yesterday at Midtown, I saw about forty-five images flash before my eyes.

[Wait. I’m not about to tell you some freaky somethin’ or another. Not literally forty-five, I’m an exaggerator. Obviously. But what I mean is that I had one of those moments when I thought about a lot of things at once. Know what I mean? Alright, as you were.]

My hands were both raised, and as I sang, I thought about how the Bible says that the angels are always saying the same thing- “Holy Holy Holy!” and I thought about heaven.

And then I thought about the fact that both my grandmothers are now in heaven.

And then I pictured myself standing before Jesus, hands in the air, and singing to Him, “Worthy is the Lamb!” and in my mind’s eye, I pictured my grandmothers on either side of me, worshiping right along with me.

Not hunched over. Not full of pain. Not even really old. Just Kath to my left and Ma to my right.

And then I thought about this scripture:

Hebrews 12:1

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”

It makes the issues of the day, the hurts of yesterday, the fears of tomorrow, seem smaller. Less significant. Less powerful.

When you know that your great cloud of witnesses includes some of the finest ladies you’ve ever known, it makes this race just a little bit easier.

1. posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 6:23 AM  |  reply

love it.thanks for my morning devo 🙂

2. kathleen
    posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 6:24 AM  |  reply

Good one, Annie. Thanks.

3. posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 6:27 AM  |  reply

p.s. mac is my all-time fave male vocalist

4. ali
    posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 6:52 AM  |  reply

Heaven – can you even believe we are all going to be up there someday?! Splendid. Absolutely splendid.

5. Merideth Schoolcraft
    posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 7:23 AM  |  reply

In response to Ali’s comment…It’s hard to even imagine being in heaven with everyone someday. Talk about corporate worship! Also, I’m with Randle. I love Mack Powell! Michael W Smith, though, is a sentimental fave of mine too. First Christian singer I ever heard the same week I committed my life to Jesus.
    I need to go read that Hebrews passage, now. Thanks Annie for all your awesome blog posts.

6. Southern Gal
    posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 7:38 AM  |  reply

My daughter was over on Saturday and ran across Third Day on television. We sat there and worshipped in the living room while Mac sang praises to the Lord. Wow. Can’t wait to really worship freely forever.

7. posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 10:08 AM  |  reply

One day. Thanks for reminding me how awesome it’s going to be.

8. posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 12:29 PM  |  reply

i love that. thank you…

9. posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 1:02 PM  |  reply

wow!! you are so right!! i can’t wait to see my son up there!! knowing i will makes this life so much easier to handle!! take care!

10. Jenica
    posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 2:22 PM  |  reply

Agnes Dei is my ALL TIME FAVORITE! And, I love how you tied in the scripture. Exactly what I needed to read today..

11. posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 3:44 PM  |  reply

I love this Annie–I’ve had similar moments with those “forty-five images!” I think it was a tiny window God opened to let you see into heaven, just to encourage you. Maybe it was the equivalent of Heaven’s status update on facebook 🙂

Thanks for sharing!! Love that song too! Love Smitty (MWS)!

Shaunie

12. posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 4:13 PM  |  reply

Love, Love, Love that song!!

13. posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 5:17 PM  |  reply

Love it. Beautiful image and sweet, sweet reminder. …I can’t wait to see mine again.

14. posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM  |  reply

Amen

15. posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 11:08 PM  |  reply

We just said “so long for now” to my brother-in-law, Buddy on August 11…it has brought me so much comfort to think of Him in heaven reunited with Granny Maxwell and my brother, Dean enjoying God’s presence. The older I get, the more I long for heaven.

16. posted on Aug 31, 2009 at 11:10 PM  |  reply

Oh..and BTW…when you said you had 45 things flash through your mind, I had this scary flashback from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory when they ride that boat through the tunnel and see all those freaky images at once…[shudder!]

17. posted on Sep 01, 2009 at 9:24 AM  |  reply

That’s one of those songs that I could sing forever.

18. posted on Sep 01, 2009 at 9:25 AM  |  reply

[…] I survived Sunday. I decided to tell you about my “Agnus Dei” experience when I read AnnieBlogs’s post yesterday. You know Annie from Annie Blogs, right? I’m not sure how I found the  AnnieBlogs blog but […]

19. posted on Sep 01, 2009 at 3:13 PM  |  reply

one of my favorite songs…Love your blog….
    Hope you will stop by and visit my new Christmas blog that I launched this week. The button on my regular blog will take you right to it….

20. posted on Sep 03, 2009 at 1:39 PM  |  reply

i could tell you a really sweet story about singing “Holy, Holy, Holy,” and about how God allowed me to be in His presence standing beside my son (who was born into heaven) worshiping. God is good huh!

i did not know that Agnes Dei means “lamb of God” LOVE IT!

i think that anything said 3x means perfection. Holy 3x is Perfect Holiness!