Hope.

on September 17, 2009 in (in)courage with 8 comments by

RingA few years ago, my sister Tatum lived in Ghana as a missionary. So in what is considered the most surprising decision my father has ever made, we went to visit her for two weeks.

My only request was that I wanted a souvenir that spoke to me about Ghana and about God. And though it was my first choice, Ghana doesn’t do airbrushed t-shirts or license plates. [I know, I was disappointed too.]

So I bought a ring in Ghana. Adinrka symbols are found throughout the Ghanaian culture, so I researched the symbols and found the exact one. The one that would always point me to God and remind me of Ghana. In a small jewelry store that looked and smelled of 1945, I found that symbol on a silver ring.

To read the rest… head over to my bloggy-vacation home- (in)courage.me.

1. Merideth Schoolcraft
    posted on Sep 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM  |  reply

Hey Annie. I really liked your post on incourage today. It’s so incredibly relevant for me today for a lot of reasons. First, as I think I’ve told you, I’ve struggled with unemployment and living at my parents’ house for the past two years, which has really challenged my faith/hope. Actually, if I’m being honest, it’s been a little weakened. Well, at least that is how it feels. Maybe God’s strengthening it and I just don’t see that yet. But, I honestly wish I had your faith/hope right now. Also, the marriage thing….Girl I hear ya on that!!!! I am 33 and still single,and tend to think more and more the marriage and kids thing won’t happen for me, and they are two of the biggest dreams I have had for my future,and the job I enjoy is the third big one. It is hard to cope sometimes when you find life not working out the way you thought/hoped/dreamed, and everyone around you is seeing their dreams come to fruition( getting married and having kids, etc.). Something in your heart just aches. Sometimes, believing it’ll happen someday is almost unphathomable.
    When you mentioned your ring,and what it looked like(I think you said the symbol’s a little crooked) that really stood out to me. When you said God’s still sturdy when our faith/hope is crooked. That’s probably where I’m at. OH,and I like the literal translation, too. That there is something in the heavens, and let it reach me. That may have to be my prayer today! Thanks for sharing this. Love, Merideth

PS: Did Tatum go to UGA? Her name sounded familiar. Like she was at Wesley at some point, but I never made the connection that you were sisters.

2. posted on Sep 17, 2009 at 11:03 AM  |  reply

I love this…not as much as I love you, though! Good for my heart!

3. posted on Sep 17, 2009 at 6:19 PM  |  reply

Loved this and getting to know yoru blog a bit.

🙂 Susan

4. Julianne
    posted on Sep 17, 2009 at 6:28 PM  |  reply

I loved this!

5. posted on Sep 17, 2009 at 8:34 PM  |  reply

Whoa, way to be encouraging- although, I think that was the point… anyways, I loved it.

6. MaryAnn
    posted on Sep 18, 2009 at 3:12 PM  |  reply

Lovely, lovely post.

I’m a former Spunky Single Gal (that is actually what my married girlfriends called me for years – I referred to them as old married biddies), and like you, I ached to find my other half. The best piece of wisdom I ever received during my single years was this from a dear girlfriend: “I know YOU are ready to meet him. HE is not ready for YOU yet.” And that turned out to be dead-on.

I met my husband on a blind date when I was 33, met his three sons a month after that, and within 6 weeks, I knew I was going to marry all of them – and this after years of proclaiming loudly and often that I would never consider dating someone who was divorced or who had kids (pretty sure God is still laughing over that one). We were married 10 months after our first date, when I was 34, and a year later, I gave birth to our daughter. So, within 2 years, I went from SSG-hood to being a wife and full-time mother of four – just about gave myself whiplash.

All this hijacking of your blog to say this:
    * You may be ready. HE might not.
    * Be open to the unexpected.
    * You are where you are supposed to be.
    * Keep the faith.

Peace be with you –
    MaryAnn

7. posted on Sep 19, 2009 at 8:20 PM  |  reply

Love this story. I had a ‘faith’ ring at one point. After the thing I had been praying for came to pass, I gave it away as an encouragement to another. And it still is passed on. Maybe you will give yours away someday or maybe it is too special. Either way, may blessings and an extra measure of HOPE be poured out on you today.

8. posted on Sep 20, 2009 at 10:36 AM  |  reply

Thank you so much for sharing this! I also have a special ring I wear on my left finger that reminds me of God’s love for me and the hope I have in Him, even when all seems hopeless.