I Saw A Sign Back There.

on September 27, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 12 comments by

After the funeral last week, my friends Ashley, Taylor, and I headed back towards Atlanta.

And somewhere between Waycross and Marietta, we got the idea in our noggins that we wanted some dinner. At a local establishment. As in, no fast food. No Subway. Nothing we could find in Atlanta. We were craving some local flavor. Something that screamed “THIS IS THE COUNTRY AND YOU CAN TASTE IT!”

So we pulled out our trusty iPhones and exited the interstate. Using UrbanSpoon [a very cool but apparently less than reliable application], we found this restaurant.

urbanspoon

This is a screen shot reenactment [that took a RIDICULOUSLY long time to capture.]

So we found American food for only one dollar sign- Shelia’s Restaurant.

Anyways, we get excited about Shelia’s. Which, until this very moment, we called “Sheila’s”, when actually, we were trying to find “She-lia’s”. Maybe that was our problem.

As we turned right off the interstate, Taylor was driving [like a good Southern gentleman should], I was navigating [worst.decision.ever.], and Ashley was riding in the back seat like this [don’t judge her- she likes to read in the dark].

ashley

And I realize these pics are blurry. Myself and Anita the iPhone. We have some issues.

We turn off the interstate and immediately Ashley says, “Well. There’s a sign right there for Sheila’s.”

Taylor and I, being idiots older and wiser, said, “Ok, cool. But the iPhone says the restaurant is about one mile away.” Because the fancy phone will give you the address of the restaurant. Or, as in our case, the address of a gas station that exists now where Shelia’s used to be.

So I’m gonna fast forward the story. 30 minutes later. An entire lap of the city. And we are back where we started. With no Shelia’s and no food and really, at this point, heavy hearts.

When suddenly, Ashley quietly says to from the back, “Um, there’s the Sheila’s sign again.”

sheliasign

Oh. You meant the huge sign. The huge red and white sign. The one we passed 30 minutes ago. Is sitting in the yard of the restaurant. Sometimes, maybe, it just makes more sense to look around instead of trusting ye old iPhone.

We park, enter the restaurant, and sit down. The temperature was hovering between a cool winter afternoon and blizzard-like conditions. We order some warm food, and quick, cause we may be getting charged for this extreme air conditioning. Taylor and Ashley ordered- catfish and salad.

taylor_ashleyExcuse the bright-to-the-extreme candelabras in the background. This place spares no expense on low temperature and high lighting.

The food was delicious and shockingly inexpensive. We may have been freezing cold, but we had happy tummies. Locally fed, Southern sweet tea, fried with the bad stuff, kind of tummies.

We loved the place.

And somehow, this little blunder on the menu is just simply endearing.

menu

If there is one thing I always want to see on a menu, it’s chips and caso.

Or chips and queso.

Equally delicious.

1. posted on Sep 27, 2009 at 12:52 AM  |  reply

That iPhone of mine has good days and bad days 🙂 I must have one of those headlights, by the way!

2. Ash
    posted on Sep 27, 2009 at 8:33 AM  |  reply

The sales on head lamps are going to go up majorly after this blog. I don’t blame them–that girl looks good 🙂 So glad we got to have that adventure in the you know what. I felt special knowing that I was riding in a car with such a great prophecy over it. Love.

3. posted on Sep 27, 2009 at 8:52 AM  |  reply

I have to have one of those head lights! Love it! Funny post!

4. posted on Sep 27, 2009 at 9:49 AM  |  reply

HA!!!!! I love this. With a name like She-lia’s, it’s gotta be good, right?

5. posted on Sep 27, 2009 at 10:11 AM  |  reply

I use “yelp” and it’s constantly pulling up places that are no longer in business. So either the economy has really put everybody in the toilet, or it’s sadly out of date. But on occasion, it comes in handy.

6. Southern Gal
    posted on Sep 27, 2009 at 11:52 AM  |  reply

Hey, I’ll take a house with my chips and salsa. Oh, that’s casO, isn’t it? I’ll take a case instead. A case of what I wonder.

We always say She-lia around these parts. My sister’s best friend in school was named Sharon. Her mom called her Sha-ron so everybody else did too.

7. ATW
    posted on Sep 27, 2009 at 5:36 PM  |  reply

I would also like to nominate this excursion for the “Most train tracks crossed in a single trip around Cordele” Award. I believe the total was 37

8. posted on Sep 27, 2009 at 7:36 PM  |  reply

Technology.

Makes wanton mistresses of us all.

On the other hand, you were rewarded with caso for all of your trouble. And what more can you ask for?

9. posted on Sep 28, 2009 at 2:08 AM  |  reply

I feel kind of the same way about my GPS. Who knew that satellite reception was so unreliable in the middle of the San Francisco bay area?

I’m glad to see they’re still teaching phonetic spelling in Georgia ; )

Mary

10. debs
    posted on Sep 28, 2009 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

Annie this post made me smile! Thanks! I so love all the pictures blurry or not they really make the post come alive! And CASO…..I will giggle everytime I see Queso on a menu for the rest of my days!

11. posted on Sep 28, 2009 at 8:08 PM  |  reply

I love it! How fun. I have been having similar fun with my GPS.

12. posted on Oct 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM  |  reply

ok,for real…my mom’s name is shelia. yup, my grandmother apparently didn’t know how to spell. so we pronounce it sheila anyway. 🙂