Seeing Is Believing: A New Prayer Plan Part 1

on September 29, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 23 comments by

This is “The Attempt Of One Christian To Actually Remember To Pray Daily For The People And Things That Are Important To Her.

I know the subtitle is fairly pointless in this particular placement, but when you write something that grandiose, it is just a shame not to find a way to use it. Twice.

Now, here’s the thing about me.

I’m a visual learner. You tell me about your puppy on the phone? I most likely will remember it. You draw me a picture of said puppy? I will be impressed. And remember.

So part uno and part dos [tomorrow] of this plan are visual. Which may or may not work for you.

Part One: The Bulletin Board of Hope

I thought if I could see the pictures of people that I wanted to pray for, I would remember to pray. So I had pictured in my mind hanging a bulletin board thingy on my wall. And literally printing out pictures and tacking them up. So that while I’m sitting in my favorite chair, I see the pictures right there above me.

I had already seen, in my mind, the word “HOPE” around the frame of the bulletin board. So that was my plan.

And then… Sunday at church our preacher talked about hope and literally, he hung a wooden frame in front of the congregation. And then he said, I kid you not, “Frame your life with hope.” And I thought I would fall out of my chair.

So I made it. I won’t spend your time or mine on the drama of finding an inexpensive cork board or how my crafts never turn out as cute in real life as they are in my head. It is the disappointment of my creative life.

And it’s going to have pictures of people I want to pray for every. single. day. and topics I don’t want to forget to pray for every. single. day. [Now, for example sake, I put up a picture of Dwight from The Office and some cards- you know, cause I’m always praying for you and your mom. I figure it would be somewhat weird to show you what/who I’m really praying for. And don’t worry- when I have guests, I’ll take it down. That would also be weird.]

IMG_0840

But this is what it says across the top and bottom:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune–without the words,
And never stops at all…
” – Emily Dickinson

I think that’s beautiful. Atta way, Em.

IMG_0838

It hangs above my favorite chair where I often sit to read and journal and pray. [Apparently I have a thing for off white.]

So there’s Part 1 of the plan. Seeing Is Believing. Seeing her picture, seeing his picture, seeing their pictures, it’s going to be my reminder to believe.

To believe the truth that God works in the lives of people that I love when I spend time in prayer.

Tomorrow: Part 2. AND…. I totally love y’all’s prayer suggestions in the comments. Keep ’em coming! We’re gonna be a crazy crowd of praying people by the end of this! Yay!!!

1. ali
    posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 6:47 AM  |  reply

LOVE this!

2. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:34 AM  |  reply

What a great idea! It’s so easy to tell someone you’re praying for them, with good intention, and then you forget! This is way more cute than all the sticky notes I leave around the house…

3. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:34 AM  |  reply

Such a great idea, Annie! And I love that Dickinson poem. It’s been floating around in my head quite a bit these days.

4. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 9:12 AM  |  reply

I have a prayer board like this too! I need to actually use mine more though. It does really look cute though. 🙂

5. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM  |  reply

what a great idea!! hope you don’t mind if i steal it!! this is great, and i already have a cork board!! 🙂 you are gonna be the first person on it!! love ya girl!! and thnx!!

6. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM  |  reply

have you heard of “shower power”? if not, you need to – i think the two of you would be friends because i am visual like you.

i did youth ministry for a long long time and this is what we did with the girls. we did a month calendar (with the little boxes printed free of the internet), and in each box was one or two names of people to pray for. you throw that puppy in a gallon size zip lock bag and use packaging tape to stick it to the tile in your shower (when it’s dry of course) and then every day for a month, while in the shower you pray for those people.

it works wonders and makes great use of your 7-10 minutes.

love the hope idea, i so often run dry on that one…

7. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 11:57 AM  |  reply

Ahhh…Emily Dickinson, the key to my heart. I LOVE all the pro-active planning! And I know you’re going to reap fruit…see change! I’m joining you, just in my Danielle kinda way! Love!

8. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 12:24 PM  |  reply

this marks the third day in a row i’ve heard that emily dickinson quote. sunday in church, last night at a meeting about africa, and now your blog.

love the idea, by the way!

9. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 12:28 PM  |  reply

ie your quote: that’s my quote o’ the week for my students. it’s on my board & every day when I walk in the door I see it & think of hope & smile & am immediately ready for the day with these teens God has decided to give me this year. it makes the world of difference, plus – I love me some good Emily Dickenson. 🙂

10. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 12:56 PM  |  reply

Sweet idea!! I might have to copy it. This could also be a good way to help memorize scripture! Put a couple up next to the names or pictures and it would easy-peasy.

And your chair looks super comfy, by the way. 🙂

11. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 12:58 PM  |  reply

I have a wipe-off board on the fridge. I write prayer requests on it and when someone asks for prayers, I tell them its going on the board. Then I pray every time I open the fridge, which is, um a lot!

12. shireen eldirdge
    posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:08 PM  |  reply

So as I am reading and seeing this picture of Dwight, never did I once think that was weird. Mostly because I know how much you LOVE to pray for famous people (mostly big burly football players), but then I kept reading and realized it was just a picture…staged. Maybe you should pray for Dwight….wouldn’t hurt. Plus you have a good track record for praying for famous people…I’m just sayin’ Love you
    Annie!

13. Sarah
    posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM  |  reply

Wow, what a great idea. I have been struggling in this area for awhile and at church on Sunday we talked about how to follow through on truth with actions. What a practical idea! Keep it up, I am encouraged with your honesty and need to start being more practical in my faith.

14. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:59 PM  |  reply

Great idea…and I’m so glad you finally figured out a good use for Dwight’s picture. I know how it’s been burning a hole in your nightstand.

15. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 3:42 PM  |  reply

No joke Annie, I seriously have on of these (minus the hope written around the edge). It has pictures of some of my girls from this summer and some other things to pray for. SUCH a good reminder.

16. Julianne
    posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 4:00 PM  |  reply

thats such a GREAT idea! That really makes me want to make one of those too. I love you Annie!!

17. Cami
    posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:07 PM  |  reply

so… TOTALLY stealing this idea. I love it the most! Can’t wait to make mine!!

And wouldn’t it be a cool gift for someone that you pray with?

18. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 10:48 PM  |  reply

I like the idea.

Something I often do for worry/prayer is a sort of wailing wall of sorts. Except, I don’t have a wailing wall. I combine ideas from Jews, The Secret Life of Bees, and Anne Lamott. And when I am trying to pray for something that either feels too big or just has me in near anxiety, I write it on a scrap of paper and stick it in some vase or jar or bottle I have around my room. In this small way, I let go and admit it’s not mine to deal with. And I trust God to take care of it.

Looking forward to hear more about your journey.

19. posted on Sep 29, 2009 at 10:52 PM  |  reply

I had a prayer mirror for a while…I wrote the names of people around the perimeter of my magnifying makeup mirror. After a while, word got around and my non-Christian co-workers were saying things like: “How do I get on the mirror?” 🙂 Great witnessing tool! By golly, I’m going to start using it again!

20. posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 8:30 AM  |  reply

I love the idea of a prayer mirror, so I’m going to borrow that idea! My mom, sister, and I all stick photos of friends on our refrigerators and pray for them. Guests always like to see them and frequently give us photos to add. My main method of remembering to pray for people is to write their names on a list in my journal/organizer that lives in my purse. It is always with me, so it’s easy to pull it out and jot down requests as I get them. When people see me write their requests down, they know I’m serious about praying for them!

21. posted on Sep 30, 2009 at 1:59 PM  |  reply

I love this, Annie. My parents do the same thing – they have a prayer bulletin board with photos above the breakfast table. (They’re so fancy with a breakfast table and regular table these days.) I need to do this at MY house…

22. caren
    posted on Oct 04, 2009 at 6:02 PM  |  reply

First of all, love the chair. I miss that chair, as I told you just the other day.
    Love these ideas on prayer Annie!! (sorry, been catching up! It was CT Kick-Off time!!)
    The Lord’s been prompting me to something very similar to the notecards, you, just like normal, have a more fun way of arranging them!! So, just like normal, I’m stealing your idea!!
    Miss you and that big chair of yours!!

23. posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 1:40 PM  |  reply