Like an internet sized thank you note.

on October 6, 2009 in (in)courage with 6 comments by

When my grandmother passed away about a month ago, we were kindly flooded with emails, phone calls, plants, and sweet cards, and food.

Lots and lots of food.

That I am still paying for, in the fatty kind of currency.

And Mama sent tons of thank you notes. I sent a few. A paltry few compared to the piles she had to mail.

But there was this group of women from our church, my mom’s best friends for years and years, who really went above and beyond in their preparation of food for our family.

I know. It’s just food.

But it tasted like love. Like friendship.

So though Mama mailed one to each of them [be ye not concerned, southern women, they did get a proper thank you note as well], this is my thank you note.

Click on over to my bloggy vacation home to read the article dedicated to the wonderful women who loved our family so well that day.

(in)courage.me

1. Stephanie
    posted on Oct 06, 2009 at 8:34 AM  |  reply

Thanks for sharing. What a beautiful picture of Family, the love and service of Christ, and a celebration for going Home to glory. So glad you all were blessed and comforted during those difficult days.

2. Debs
    posted on Oct 06, 2009 at 8:58 AM  |  reply

Thanks Annie…get a cravin’ for that greenbean casserole…you’ve got my number, am yours! God truly wants us to experience heaven on earth….celebrations of death to eternal life give us just that!

3. Face
    posted on Oct 06, 2009 at 9:18 AM  |  reply

I really liked this phrase in your article: “…reminding us that this was a day of celebration.”
    I’ve always felt awkward/guilty at how much I enjoy SEEING everyone at a funeral, but looking at it from that perspective makes it seem ok.
    Great story.

4. posted on Oct 06, 2009 at 11:32 AM  |  reply

It is such a joy to have these kind of women in our lives. So much wisdom, love, and kindness wrapped up in each dish. Food really does reach the deepest places of the heart. The story of Abigail, Nabal and David in the Bible proves that!

5. Valerie
    posted on Oct 06, 2009 at 10:11 PM  |  reply

For me, this is one of the things makes a funeral just a little more bearable – whether I am preparing a dish for another family, or I am one of the mourners being fed. Literally and spiritually.

On a lighter aside – our favorite funeral director (does that seem a tad bit morbid – to have a favorite – but he does an AWESOME job every time) says that he always personally comes to the funerals at our church because he knows we have the best cooks! Ha Ha. Gotta love the South – especially Savannah.

PS – Were you happy with your red velvet cake? And your new mixer?

6. tatum
    posted on Oct 07, 2009 at 4:01 PM  |  reply

so maybe i cried a little.