A normal Nashville day.

on October 28, 2009 in Nash-livin' with 14 comments by

YLCF Blog CarnivalI’m excited to participate with my buddies over at YLCF.org as many ladies talk today about their normal everyday life.

Let me give you a short, but important, list of disclaimers:

• Just because I live in Nashville does not mean I hang out with country stars everyday [though Reba will not. quit. calling. Yes, Reba, we can grab coffee tomorrow. Sheesh.]
  • I don’t have a real job. I have eight [that's not a typo] part-time jobs. So no two days look alike.
  • The rules say you can’t fudge on your day. So I won’t. But…. I’m going to tell you I get up every morning at 8am. [Imagine an exaggerated wink after that. And pray that God forgives me for lying.]

So, with no further ado, here’s a peek into Annie’s [not so] normal Nashville day:

8am: Get up. [wink] I usually putz around the house for an hour or so- shower, wash my hair everyday [which I know is bad but quit judging me], eat breakfast, try to read the Bible, pray, journal, etc.

10am-12pm: Write. Either pitching articles, working on a personal writing project, doing freelance work, etc. This is NOT the time that I write for my blog or respond to blog comments.

12pm: Eat a healthy lunch at home [wink] or go out to eat with friends. Usually Baja Burrito. We heart that place mucho.

Afternoon: Options: nanny for this guy’s kids, work at Mocha Club, work on writing things at Frothy Monkey. If the writing option is the winner, this is when I usually respond to emails, work on the biz-nass side of being an author- building platform, connecting with other authors, brainstorming new books, etc.

5pm: Leave nanny/Mocha Club/etc. and go tutor. Usually only 3 times a week. I tutor an 8th grade dude in math and ORGANIZATION GOOD GRAVY and I tutor an 11th grade girl that is as darlin’ as the day is long in pre-calculus. Which is a subject I am very good at. [wink]

6pm: Go home and watch TV [dealing with the massive amount of Bravo on my DVR] or read on my back porch or hang out with friends. This is NO COMPUTER TIME.

7pm: Eat dinner, usually with friends. Cause I like my people. Other options: church small group, a show to hear some cool new musician, hang out on someone’s porch and listen as boys play guitars, sit around and talk. Whatevs.

10pm: Try to be home. [wink] And this is when I write my blog post for the next day [Am I breaking your heart that I don't actually write Wednesday's post on WEDNESDAY? Sorry bout it.] and respond to emails.

Midnight+: I’m great at working late at night. So I sometimes write- this is when I work on stuff that no one is going to see for a long time. Future books, crazy blog posts, creative ideas, things that I sometimes read the next day and say, “WOW. I need to delete that. Embarrassing, Annie, embarrassing.”

Sleep comes at some point, which is why that 8am is negotiable. But only after I drink a small glass of orange juice [horrible for my body, I know] and put on socks.

Don’t judge me. My feet get very cold.

And that’s my day.

1. ali
    posted on Oct 28, 2009 at 7:19 AM  |  reply

Socks and OJ? I’ve never heard of such a bedtime ritual! Nonetheless, I heart you for it.

2. posted on Oct 28, 2009 at 8:21 AM  |  reply

I completely understand your issue with Reebs. She won’t leave me alone either. She’s driving me absolutely crazy and eating up all of my text messages.
    That silly Reba.

3. posted on Oct 28, 2009 at 9:38 AM  |  reply

#1–And I thought my ONE job of mommyin’ was busy. EIGHT jobs???

#2–Still, there are many days I wish for your kinda life. (Carrying my own “Be Real” rules into the comments section.)

LOVE it, Annie girl.

4. posted on Oct 28, 2009 at 9:43 AM  |  reply

Annie – you make me laugh! I’m so an OJ every night girl too! Carter taught me. And if dinner wasn’t filling, we add a spoonful of peanut butter. It sits well throughout the night and complements the OJ wonderfully. ;)

And random, Jeremy Cowart’s bro, Benji, works for my bro in Buffalo. A Kevin Bacon moment for you.

5. posted on Oct 28, 2009 at 10:57 AM  |  reply

That is SO weird. I try to get my 8th grader to drink OJ in the am. She’s not having it. Before bed … she goes and pours a glass and says … “MOM, THIS is when I drink OJ”. I’ve been telling her she has her days and nights mixed up…but maybe it’s b/c we used to live in Nashville.

6. posted on Oct 28, 2009 at 12:34 PM  |  reply

Lovely! Goodness, Reba, can’t you leave the poor girl alone? :-P

7. 79Leslie
    posted on Oct 28, 2009 at 1:09 PM  |  reply

I am jealous of your life! There, I said it! But, I am thankful for my not-so-exciting life working in the mortgage and banking industry.

You are a blessing :-)

Les

8. Elaine Phillips
    posted on Oct 29, 2009 at 5:59 AM  |  reply

Annie, my feet get cold, too; let me grab some socks before I respond. And some milk and a mini-stack of cookies. :) It’s 4:58 a.m. here in Canada’s snowy far north, and A, I needed this post right this minute–whenever you wrote it! My huge desire (I thought until now) is to have a normal (?!) everyday life: a real job, a salary I could count on…a bit of a stable routine. You know: a predictable day once in a while. But reading your post made me realise I looove my life! I, too, have at least half a dozen part-time jobs–and I’m smiling as I type these words–I love ‘em all. ‘Tis a privilege, this life we lead. Thanks for helping me get things in perspective.

9. posted on Oct 29, 2009 at 10:32 AM  |  reply

you are amazing, my friend!! simply amazing!! reba rocks!! alas, i am allergic to oranges, no oj for me :( <3 ya girl

10. Jaclynn
    posted on Oct 29, 2009 at 2:51 PM  |  reply

Although you have 8 *gasp* jobs I kind of like the flexibility/not always the same scheduled every day thing. What is your most favorite job then?

11. Hannah
    posted on Oct 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM  |  reply

Wow. 8 jobs! I thought my two got a little crazy sometimes! You seem like the kind of person I would love to hang out with–I don’t blame Reba at all for wanting to have coffee with you. ;P

12. posted on Nov 04, 2009 at 2:00 PM  |  reply

I wash my hair daily too. :)

I just checked out the Mocha Club. I am in love! I sponsor a girl through World Vision ( I truly <3 that organization.) I'm in fact moving to Tennessee and perhaps one day we can meet up! :)

13. posted on Nov 05, 2009 at 4:17 PM  |  reply

Wow, I’d love to have that kind of time to write!! :) I’m just a leetle bit jealous. Or maybe a lot.

Thanks for sharing your day!

14. posted on Oct 29, 2010 at 4:54 PM  |  reply