It’s glaze, not grease.

on November 17, 2009 in That's delish. with 10 comments by

So this weekend, my mom came to Nashville [also known as “the best idea we’ve had in a long time”].

And she came bearing a life-changing cream cheese experience.

Of course, giving dairy credit where dairy credit is due, this recipe is originally from BooMama, my mentor in many things of life and all things of cheese.

So Mama and I, we went to a party to watch some Georgia football. And we brought along what has since been named “Heaven On A Cracker.”

delicious

Trust me. I tried to take a picture before people started eating, but it didn’t happen. Apparently, my friends have a strong like for all manner of cheese dips.

But, I did have to keep saying, “it’s a glaze, not grease” because when you pile bacon on cheese and then pour a glaze over top, believe you me, it looks like grease. Which honestly, didn’t stop some folks. In fact, I think Sonnie said, “that’s a lot of grease, but everyone is eating it, so….”

Please. Try it. I mean, I may not really know you, but I know you enough to know that you won’t hate this. [That statement is not true at all. But I still hope you like the dip.]

Captain Rodney Cheese Bake

• ½ cup mayonnaise
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 6 Ritz crackers, crumbled
  • 8 slices cooked, crumbled bacon
  • ½ cup Captain Rodney’s Sweet & Spicy Glaze or Boucan Glaze

Mix first 4 ingredients, then spread in a square casserole dish.  Sprinkle crushed crackers on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  Then sprinkle bacon on top and drizzle with glaze over all.  Serve with Ritz crackers, pita chips or your favorite cracker.

Note: Captain Rodney’s is available at Whole Foods. Boucan Glaze was the old name and Sweet & Spicy Glaze is the new name. The glaze is available online from www.bellbuckle.com if you don’t have a Whole Foods nearby.

We doubled the recipe and put it in a 9 x 13.

[Also, just FYI- we used light mayonnaise and turkey bacon. So obviously, it was a healthy alternative to the other snacks, such as carrots and hummus.]

And y’all. It was gone by the end of the evening and we had about 20 people eating. Which you KNOW Mama loved cause she got cook for and hang out with 20 of the cool kids of Nashville.

Like Marisa.

marisa

And Chris and Ansley. [who have recently started an INSANELY awesome blog for wives who have traveling/on the road husbands- a much needed area of ministry here. Check it out.]

chris_ansley

The only thing I would do differently is that we served the cheese bake with ritz crackers and I would opt for a saltier cracker, maybe a pita chip. Cause I’m not a huge fan of ritz crackers. I’m not one to fear an overly rich experience, but you know how ritz crackers are so buttery and kinda soft? Yeah, I just wanted a hearty chip. Personal preference maybe.

But hello. It’s my blog. This place aboundeth with my personal preferences.

1. posted on Nov 17, 2009 at 8:57 AM  |  reply

HOW CUTE is that picture of Marisa??

2. Debs
    posted on Nov 17, 2009 at 10:27 AM  |  reply

Oh, I am so there for the holidays when all my boys come home!… i especially like the turkey and lite mayo…sense I will be stuffing them with a gazillion other “only at mom’s” kinda dishes! So glad your mom got to hang with you and your nash-homies!

3. posted on Nov 17, 2009 at 10:28 AM  |  reply

Two things, real quick-like.
    1–Cheese Dip = amazing. Maybe I’ll have that instead of the traditional Thenksgiving meal.
    2–Thanks for the tip about Chris and Ansley. I have no idea who they are, but I fear I’m about to become a “Road Widow” as soon as my husband’s EP comes out (www.myspace.com/avecmoimusic). These aren’t all the songs, and these aren’t the versions of the songs that will be on it, but have a taste if you wish.
    Happy Tuesday, Annie!

4. posted on Nov 17, 2009 at 11:08 AM  |  reply

This looks really yummy! Thanks for sharing!

5. posted on Nov 17, 2009 at 11:11 AM  |  reply

annie p — haha. thnx 🙂

man oh man, i want some heaven on a cracker this morning. we must make that again soon!
    you + me + cheese = happiness4eva.

6. posted on Nov 17, 2009 at 1:31 PM  |  reply

“Heaven on a cracker” Changed. My. Life! And, for the record, I wouldn’t have even cared if it WAS grease and not glaze 🙂

7. posted on Nov 17, 2009 at 3:45 PM  |  reply

call it whatever you want, i WANT THAT!!! 🙂

8. posted on Nov 18, 2009 at 12:43 PM  |  reply

I am excited to try it as my offering to our Thanksgiving spread. I am also happy you mentioned your friends new blog. My hubby travels, he is somewhere up north right now. I call myself the most married single mom there is. I am glad to be able to connect with others.

9. posted on Nov 19, 2009 at 6:41 AM  |  reply

Oh my word, that looks fantabulous!!!

10. posted on Nov 22, 2009 at 3:41 AM  |  reply

Oh, I’m gonna try this! I’m pretty sure I’ll have to order it online.