#topsecretbookstuff…. REVEALED!

on September 24, 2010 in Westbow Press with 30 comments by

I’m going to try not to capitalize this entire post because I honestly am excited enough to JUMP OUT OF MY SKIN.

Ok, breathe.

A little background.

Many of you know that I moved to Nashville to pursue writing. [If you weren't around for this time, I'm gonna link to those posts so you can catch up.... if you wanna.]

I wrote a book. Many of you prayed it into being. Honestly. Believe me- I haven’t forgotten those of you who prayed. And I finished that book on an unseasonably warm day in January 2009.

And then I sent it to my agent. And waited. And waited. And to make a long story short- after a year of trying to get published in the traditional way, it never got picked up. By anyone. So she and I parted ways in April 2010. It just wasn’t working. I didn’t have a book deal, she didn’t make any money, and I was over the process.

I don’t know why it didn’t work for me. I don’t have an answer. It just didn’t. For some of my friends [like the most excellent Anne Jackson], traditional publishing is awesome and works beautifully.

For me, it didn’t work. It has made me doubt, retreat, and re-evaluate whether or not this was a good plan. I questioned more than my skill- I questioned my own heart.

But, here’s the truth.

I adore the book. I feel like it is a story I want to tell. I feel like God wants to use this book for His glory. It was so much work, so much of my heart, and such a massive part of where I want my life to go.

So. [insert drum roll here if you are into that kind of thing......]

I’m taking the non-traditional [but up-and-coming route] of self-publishing.

[Here's the PERFECT explanation of self-publishing from Thomas Nelson's CEO Michael Hyatt. Read it. Please.]

What does that mean? That means that my parents and I have partnered with Westbow Press and we will be publishing the book ourselves.

Do I hear some squealing?!? Is it you or just me?!? I’m hoping both. Because what that means is that within a few months, you will be able to HOLD MY BOOK IN YOUR HANDS.

[Yep, I hear the squealing now.]

I know you have tons of questions. That’s great. I’m going to answer them all.

And here’s the cool thing. I’m gonna blog about it.

I love you guys. Like so so much. And you have been a major part of the book writing process. It only feels right to include you on every step of the book publishing process.

So from now on, I will blog weekly[ish] about the path of self-publishing. I want you to hear the ins and outs, the easy and hard, the stressful and scary and awesome parts of self-publishing with Westbow Press.

Maybe you have considered publishing a book yourself or maybe you just love me or maybe you’ll just find it interesting to watch the process. Whatever the reason, I’m gonna tell you about it.

I’ll tell you why I decided to try this, why I picked Westbow Press, why this is the right time, why my parents jumped on board, why I’m willing to tell you the process even though I could fail miserably.

I’ll tell you all of it.

Because the book is just a part of the story. A good part.

But this. This right here? The process?

It’s the real story.

Welcome to the real story.

1. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 5:37 AM  |  reply

very cool… congrats!

2. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 6:36 AM  |  reply

Woohoo! You go girl! I will be in lin eto buy a copy too. I am so proud of you!

3. Grace
    posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 7:21 AM  |  reply

How awesome! Consider this mofo bought and paid for. I WILL have a copy!

ps- today is my birthday, and the first thing I thought when I opened my eyes about 15 minutes ago was- o, my god.. I’m twirling 28 today…
    Thanks for making this not quite as scarey with that awesome post you wrote. It means a lot to me today. :)

4. Jesse Weber
    posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 7:40 AM  |  reply

This is amazing news Annie! I am so happy for you and can’t wait to hold the book and see your name on it.

5. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 7:53 AM  |  reply

I’m SO excited for you!!!! Can’t wait to hear all about it!

6. Merideth Schoolcraft
    posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 7:55 AM  |  reply

So exciting Annie! Now, I have a question. I am probably the only one asking this. but, since I can’t read regular books, I have to. Is it going to be availible in a “non-traditional” formatt? Like an e-book, or audio?

7. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM  |  reply

yay annie!!!!! so excited for you and i can’t wait to hear about all the process! :)

and to buy the book…of course.

8. Roxy
    posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:48 AM  |  reply

Annie, I know someone else who went this route, and you can see her great video on her site: http://www.my365degrees.com/how-i-did-it-the-making-of-the-anti-resume-revolution

Rox

9. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

Squealing!! So excited for you. Thanks for sharing the process with us!

10. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 10:01 AM  |  reply

So. Stinking. Excited for you!!!

11. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 12:20 PM  |  reply

Yay! I look forward to seeing this process through (and holding your real live book in my real live hands).

12. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 12:34 PM  |  reply

Hooray! I can’t wait to read about your experience and hey! What’s the book about?

13. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 1:16 PM  |  reply

AHHHH, this is so exciting! I am so jazzed that you are going to blog about it all, too. I will definitely be following this all with much interest and delight! Good for you!

14. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM  |  reply

Thanks for referring people to my post on self-publishing. I will be following your journey with great interest. Thanks for your willingness to give this a shot. I think you will be pleased with the results.

15. Laurie
    posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 2:17 PM  |  reply

So excited for you girl!! Can’t to read it!!

16. lane
    posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 2:37 PM  |  reply

WAHOOOO!!! Annie, it’s so good! I honestly still think about your book. A year later. I’m so excited!

What are doing for design? Please and thank you do not make it look like the Bethel Church books. They hurt me inside.

Woo!

17. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 3:57 PM  |  reply

This is the first blog post I’ve read since being in Ethiopia. Super excited for you girl! I know there is tons more that has happened in your life since I’ve been away and I can’t wait to see you in person someday soon. Congrats on the book decision though! That’s way awesome!

18. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 5:01 PM  |  reply

Congrats Annie. I’m working on a self-published book myself. I’ll be interested to see how it goes for you.

All the Best,
    Jonathan

19. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 6:16 PM  |  reply

That is so awesome! Congratulations, Annie. I’m in the process of writing a book so I’ll be very interested to read your updates on self-publishing.

20. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 7:06 PM  |  reply

hashtag #yes #b #you #rock

21. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 7:30 PM  |  reply

Can’t wait to hear every little detail. And to buy lots of copies.

22. ali
    posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 7:56 PM  |  reply

God is already getting all sorts of awesome glory! Because that’s how He rolls.

Love you, bloggy friend!

And I can’t wait to hold that book.

23. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:42 PM  |  reply

Good luck! I hope this is all you hope it will be.

24. posted on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:32 PM  |  reply

I just love you! So happy for you and can’t wait to hear all about the process.

(I’m late to the congratulations because we field tripped to a production of Schoolhouse Rock! Awesome.)

25. Maddie
    posted on Sep 25, 2010 at 6:01 AM  |  reply

I am so excited for you! Can’t wait to read the book!!!

26. posted on Sep 27, 2010 at 10:48 AM  |  reply

hashtag GO ANNIE!

27. Jennifer
    posted on Sep 27, 2010 at 12:20 PM  |  reply

What wonderful, fun news. praying through the process with you!

28. posted on Sep 27, 2010 at 2:50 PM  |  reply

I’m so excited for you friend! Can’t wait to see the process through your eyes!

xo
    Lori

29. posted on Sep 27, 2010 at 3:01 PM  |  reply

Hey, Annie-

I was privileged to pray for you about this writing as you were writing in the beginning, and just wanted to say I will keep praying for you now as you near completion- to help push you along with some prayers as you near God’s completion. As a fan of your blog, I believe in your writing and am glad to pray for you! God’s best and HIs blessings- and thanks for being willing to share about the self-publishing process- I’ll be eagerly reading to learn- thanks for being generous through the process!

—Beth in Texas

30. posted on Oct 08, 2010 at 8:34 AM  |  reply

Hey Annie!

Just spent some time catching up on your blog! So many neat things happening for you and I’m thrilled to see you taking this plunge. You WILL do amazing and I can’t wait to read the book! :)

Let us at She Seeks know when it comes out so we can give you a big plug ok?? Maybe even a giveaway?? We miss your spunky self. :)

Praying for you as God continues to guide your steps.

Much love,