My eyes are open.

on July 12, 2011 in Scotland with 30 comments by

But they are burning.

It’s midnight in Scotland. I’m pretty good about tricking you guys into thinking I post every day (ish?) at 5am when really, as you sleuths out there know, I usually actually write it the night before and autopost it. But how shall I do that when I am 6 (ish?) hours ahead of you?

These are things I do not know.

So today, I will write and I will press publish. And you will read a new blog post after dinner instead of with your morning soy chai latte.

Hello. Good evening, America. I live in Scotland.

I have been awake for approximately 35 hours and I keep shutting one eye and then the other one as I type. Which, actually, is going to make this post a) more hilarious because I’m delirious and b) take a million years to finish.

Jet lag has me by the nostrils and is swinging me around like a rag doll.

Now that I have actually arrived, the goodbyes are finished and the packing is done, I keep getting this question: “How are you feeling?”

My answer? “Yes. I am feeling. Everything. I am feeling every emotion possible.”

Because I might be.

I’ve cried my eyes out the last week and then I sat at dinner tonight with three of my Edinburgh friends and laughed hysterically. I check my email constantly to see if I’ve heard from anyone at home and yet I teared up with joy when the plane landed.

I love Edinburgh.

I love Nashville.

I love Marietta.

And I wish I could pick at least one of those cities to hate with a mighty passion.

But for now, I will just have a divided heart that is always 100% happy to be right where I am and 78% brokenhearted to be missing time with my friends/family in other cities.

To keep today’s jet-lag sleepy time for Annie rambling at a good pace, here are the things I did today:

• I got picked up from the airport
  • my friends dropped off at my new apartment
  • I unpacked all THREE suitcases and my carry-on [I know. You’re impressed.]
  • had a “cuppa” [a cup of tea] with one of my roommates
  • took a shower after the roommates left, only to realize that I do not exactly know how to make the water hot. So that was neat.
  • snoozled for like 24 minutes…ย just a wee while [Scottish talk. It begins early.]
  • went to Ikea with my other roommate and bought sheets and a duvet cover.

Which, I need to interject here. My friends in Scotland don’t use top sheets. Just fitted sheet and duvet. I do not love this fact. It means a lot o’ duvet cover washes- which in a house of NO DRYER means quite a process.

I am American and I believe in the freedom to have a top sheet if you want one.

I want one.

Back to my day.

• I met up with Esther, Harry, and Luke for a four hour dinner that could not have been better
  • I get home about 20 minutes ago and thought, “Oh sheesh! My blog friends! I forgot to tell them I am here!”

So there you have it.

I am here. My eyes are burning and I am about to pass out from exhaustion.

But I am here.

Hello, Edinburgh. Good to see you again.

1. Simon
    posted on Jul 12, 2011 at 6:46 PM  |  reply

Hopefully you are awaking from a long and restful slumber when you take a look at your comments but I just felt like saying hi and good luck!

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:45 AM  |  reply

Thanks, Simon! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Kristi Kay
    posted on Jul 12, 2011 at 7:23 PM  |  reply

I will cherish my top sheet tonight in your honor. Good to hear that you’re there!

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:45 AM  |  reply

The RiverStone team is bringing me one. Suffering for the gospel, that’s what I’m doing.

Also- did you see Face’s comment below? Hilarious.

3. posted on Jul 12, 2011 at 7:41 PM  |  reply

So glad you’re there. Now be ready to share all the top sheets you’ll get in the mail. Or hoard them all to change every night if you wish!

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:46 AM  |  reply

Ha! I wish. I will get one Saturday from the church team heading over. So I’ll survive! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. posted on Jul 12, 2011 at 7:51 PM  |  reply

Can’t wait to read more of your journey in Scotland Annie. I know God is going to bless your socks off and the people that you meet. Praying you get caught up on your sleep.

Blessings from Kansas,
    Cole

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM  |  reply

Thanks, girl. Keep praying.

5. mary mcneil
    posted on Jul 12, 2011 at 9:14 PM  |  reply

Yay! You are here, what a lovely thought!

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM  |  reply

Yes yes yes. And I’m coming over tomorrow! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Erin
    posted on Jul 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM  |  reply

So glad you’re there and I can’t wait to see pictures (hint, hint, of your new duvet especially).

7. posted on Jul 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM  |  reply

So glad you made it safely and hopefully you will get some much needed rest!! We just found out that within the next six weeks, we will be living in ENGLAND. So, between you and I, let’s just get this European vacation started.

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:49 AM  |  reply

BOOYAH. Holla when y’all get settled and maybe we can find a way to hang out!

8. posted on Jul 12, 2011 at 10:08 PM  |  reply

Glad you made it… and dang those duvet covers!

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM  |  reply

Right? I mean, I get that they wash the covers a lot, but I’m like, “let’s just put a sheet between you and that duvet. What say?”

It’s what my American self is going to do. I love the Scottish people and they can do whatever they want.

9. hannah marie stevenson
    posted on Jul 12, 2011 at 10:26 PM  |  reply

i love everything about you.

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM  |  reply

mutual x 1000. Good thing we found each other. ๐Ÿ™‚ Friends forever whether you like it or not.

10. posted on Jul 13, 2011 at 1:28 AM  |  reply

So glad you have arrived safely. The jet lag must be horrible! I will think of you, as I am nuzzled safely underneath my top sheet tonight. I hope you won’t miss that too badly. Looking forward to pictures!

11. Face
    posted on Jul 13, 2011 at 6:27 AM  |  reply

I am seriously happy to send you a flat top sheet if you can’t find one at IKEA. Still not used to that one.

One fabulous thing about being 6(5)hrs ahead of EST is FACEBOOK IN THE MORNING! You might not get a lot of action in the daytime, but every morning you’ll wake up to a plethora of notifications and a full inbox. Glory.

Have fun!!!

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM  |  reply

The RiverStone team is bringing me one tomorrow. ๐Ÿ™‚ Lucky timing for me.

Yeah, the mornings are SO quiet on social media. I love it.

12. Face
    posted on Jul 13, 2011 at 6:28 AM  |  reply

Did KKP just sign her comment as ‘Kristi Kay’????

• "Kristi Kay"
      posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM  |  reply

@Face,

Is that wrong???? Just b/c “Kay” is not legally my name anymore…it’s still me, right???

13. posted on Jul 13, 2011 at 9:32 AM  |  reply

Oh Annie, thankyouthankyouthankyou thankyouthankyouthankyou and a few more thank yous for being willing to leave your friends and familiarity and follow God’s call upon your life. May God bless you and use you in mighty ways in the lovely land of Scotland.

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:57 AM  |  reply

Thanks, friend. Means a lot.

14. posted on Jul 13, 2011 at 7:31 PM  |  reply

Hello, new friend. I remember a lovely afternoon of high tea at a fancy hotel in Edinburgh so many years ago. Such a gorgeous terrain. Scotland had my heart from the moment I first visited it. I will be moving to Nashville in about 2 weeks, and am excited and sad all at the same time. Moving brings out so many emotions. I hope your time there is a blessing!

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 11:59 AM  |  reply

Hi Donna! Thanks for the comment! You are going to love Nashville. Yes, moving is always hard and emotional, but that city is a joy. Congrats. ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Tracy Eye
    posted on Jul 13, 2011 at 9:53 PM  |  reply

Hi Annie,
    Wow!! We met at New Community when you spoke at the Inside Out event this year. I teach 6th grade at West Jackson Middle School. I LOVED your book! I actually shared it with my neighbor the other day (she isn’t a teenager, but I thought she would enjoy it). Prayering for a powerful journey for you in Scotland. I still want to meet you for lunch in Nashville, when/if you return, and I’m traveling through on my way to St. Louis.
    PS I love the top sheet too…especially w/ fabric softner!
    Best,
    Tracy Eye

• posted on Jul 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM  |  reply

Hi Tracy! Yes! I remember meeting you. Thanks so much for you kind words- I’m so glad you like the book. And yes! Just holler when you pass thru Nash!