We can be friends.

on May 3, 2012 in Nash-livin', Sounds good to me. with 15 comments by

So y’all. Getting new headshots done yesterday was super fun. I’m gonna tell you all about it soon. For now, here are two pictures that show you kinda what was going on.

But before I tell you about that, I gotta tell you about this.

Going shopping.

So my dear friend / stylist Amber Lehman and I popped down to the mall last week to find all the clothes for the photo shoot. We had, in the words of people other than me, a wicked good time. We laughed, we tried on outfits, we matched belts to dresses and earrings to tops.

And I bought red jeans. I AM SO TRENDY.

I can’t even get started on the discounts I got from Macy’s. Pretty much, I practically robbed them.

[The thing that will keep me out of jail after writing that sentence is “practically.” I didn’t really. I just got some serious sale prices.]

Amber and I high-fived and walked out of Macy’s and, as happens often in Nashville, Amber saw a friend.

As soon as said friend spoke in her cute southern drawl, I was like, “this girl is gonna be my friend.”

[Yep, that’s how I make friends. I force them into it.]

Her name is Joanna Smith. She had been shopping. So had we. Amber loves her. I love Amber. That’s pretty much all I needed to suggest BFF tattoos.

She declined. Weird.

One of these things is not like the other…. meaning somebody [wearing green] doesn’t dress very fancy on a normal day. And she probably should. Also, same somebody [wearing green] has got to learn to curl her hair like everyone else does in this picture.

Amber started telling me about Joanna’s current single on country radio called “We Can’t Be Friends” and I was all, “Oh girl, I do not have time in my life for a song with that title.”

Obviously meaning that songs like that feel true x a million to me right now.

So after Joanna and I decided that BFF tattoos were unnecessary but a friendship had definitely begun right there outside of the Macy’s, I came home and listened to her stuff.

Y’all.

Dang.

First of all, Amber styled this video for “Gettin’ Married” and when you watch it, you will say, “yep, that is a hilarious song and that Joanna is a doll and duh she and Annie were born to be friends.”

Then I listened to “We Can’t Be Friends” and sheesh. Her voice is supes beautiful and the lyrics are great and I could not like her sound more.

So what I’m saying is you should probably buy her EP and call your radio station and request her music and cheer for her forever.

Seriously. Isn’t Nashville the coolest town? I. Know.

[Also, I own red jeans. That needed to be stated again.]

1. posted on May 03, 2012 at 6:08 AM  |  reply

First, that full length shot on instagram is ah-may-zing. Next, I can always count on you to introduce me to cool new music. Thanks.

2. merideth
    posted on May 03, 2012 at 8:47 AM  |  reply

Funny that you said you had a “wicked” good time. I used to use that word all the time(result of growing up in the north). But, when I moved south I had to stop using it because people here thought I meant something different when I said it. But, after being up north recently, I found myself using “wicked” again. OH and I’m with you on the difficulties of guy girl friendships.

3. posted on May 03, 2012 at 10:22 AM  |  reply

Ok, Love that song and it is so totally true!
    And I’m buying it!!!

Thank you though for saying this too…[Sigh… guy/girl friendships in your 30s in the 2010s are a complicated hot mess. At least, for me.]…
    As a single girl in her 30’s as well it’s really nice to hear other gals say they feel that way too at times.
    Love ya!

4. posted on May 03, 2012 at 10:59 AM  |  reply

I want to see these red jeans!! ;)

As soon as I get home, I checking out Ms. Joanna Smith!

5. Michelle
    posted on May 03, 2012 at 1:01 PM  |  reply

Your preview pictures are fabulous!
    And I just have to tell you thank you for introducing such great music on your blog. Because of you I have become a huge fan of Drew & Ellie Holcomb (saw them last week here in Birmingham) and Dave Barnes (who I saw the very next night)and now Joanna Smith! Love both songs! and I am purchasing her EP today!

6. Lane
    posted on May 03, 2012 at 4:22 PM  |  reply

ANNIE. Are you kidding me? I grew up with Joanna. Wow

7. marybeth
    posted on May 03, 2012 at 9:19 PM  |  reply

thank you for shouting out Lane..
    Annie that girl is from EARLY COUNTY..
    well..maybe she claims calhoun..but she’s got Blakely blood running thru her..
    CHAT her up about your ridiculous long list of connections to her world.
    she was so cute when i was so old.
    and now she is SO cute and i am still old.
    love u!

8. posted on May 04, 2012 at 2:21 AM  |  reply

One thing I have learned about people in Nashville, is that you don’t “google” them–you “youtube” them! :) Listening to Joanna right now, and she’s great! Thanks for the recommendation.

9. posted on May 04, 2012 at 9:55 AM  |  reply

I’m usually not crazy about country music but that song is so funny and true! And the We Can’t Be Friends.. wow the honesty in that song. I’m moving to Nashville in June so I guess I need to start listening to some country music huh? :)

You look so great in those pictures :) Can’t wait to see more. Especially those red jeans!

10. posted on May 04, 2012 at 2:42 PM  |  reply

Wow, Nashville is the BEST!

11. posted on May 05, 2012 at 8:52 PM  |  reply

Annie it was great meeting you today! I figured we would eventually run into each other after I moved to Nashville but I figured it would be at a hip place like The Frothy Monkey or Burger Up and not the front door of Wal-Mart. :)

12. Paige Pappanastos
    posted on May 06, 2012 at 11:14 AM  |  reply

Annie! My name is Paige — I’m a UGA Wesley kid and an avid follower of your blog. A friend and I are in Nashville this weekend for the Don Miller writing conference.. but without a place to stay for the night. What are the chances you’d be willing to put two of us up on a couch for the night tonight? No worries if not.. I’ll still read your blog. Haha. Shoot me an email of you dig! God bless.

13. posted on May 07, 2012 at 12:26 PM  |  reply

Yeah for making new friends. That Gettin Married song cracked me up.

14. posted on May 07, 2012 at 7:12 PM  |  reply

Excited to see the red jeans! And I loved the “We Can’t Be Friends” song. Cuz you know that is a song I need to hear too!

15. Stephanie
    posted on May 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM  |  reply

“Sigh… guy/girl friendships in your 30s in the 2010s are a complicated hot mess. At least, for me.”

Oh my… I can totally relate. I needed to hear that song today.