John-Boy.

on May 23, 2012 in Dreams Coming True with 38 comments by

I’m a huge Waltons fan. I mean, I love that show so deeply. It’s a family thing- we were raised on it. It’s also an Appalachian thing- they are my people. So it is what I would deem a life-long love we’ve got going on, me and the Waltons.

Ask any of my friends. It’s my go-to show- the one I want to watch when I need a break, to relax, or if my heart needs to rest. I go to Walton’s Mountain.

[You can make fun of me if you want. I don’t care. This is one of those things, like how much I dislike game nights, that I don’t waver on even if the peer pressure is extreme.] [Yes, I hate game nights. We’ll talk about it later.]

BACK TO WHAT IS IMPORTANT. THE WALTONS.

This week, my dear friend Kyle is at a cable network convention showing the world how rad INSP Network is [and it is]. I watch INSP Network, like when I’m working a puzzle, because they show the Waltons.

So Kyle instragrams this picture on Tuesday. Can you see the very first comment? It’s me, freaking out that Kyle is standing beside John-Boy Walton.

[You can click on the pic to enlarge it so you can see my comment.]

See, Kyle is a dear friend to me, as close to a big bro as I’ve ever had. So I’m freaking out because I’m literally one very tiny degree from John-Boy Walton.

And then, my phone buzzes.

It’s Kyle, texting me to say that he forgot how much I loved the Waltons and I said “yeah, so much” and then he sent me this picture.

AN AUTOGRAPH. TO ME.

At this point, on a freakout scale of 1 to 10, I’m about a 5. Because that’s amazing.

So I text Kyle back, because I’m very grateful. And here’s our conversation. [I’m blue, he’s white, just in case an iPhone isn’t your jam.]

JOHN BOY WANTS TO TALK TO ME?!?! ON THE TELEPHONE?!?! HIS REAL VOICE IN REAL TIME INTO MY REAL EAR??!?

And now, on the freakout scale, I’m a 9. Losing control of my hands and my lungs.

I think, “I can’t. I can’t do it. I’ll act like an idiot. I can’t breathe. Oh heavens. Oh no oh no oh no….” But before I can text back, my phone is ringing.

MY. PHONE. IS. RINGING.

[And now, on the freakout scale, I’m a 26.]

Y’all. I have famous friends. I’m around famous people a lot in Nashville. I know they are human and just like us and blah blah blah. But nothing, no NOTHING, could have prepared me for this.

I. Freaked. Out.

When I answered the phone and it was John-Boy Walton, I freaked out like you [nor I] have ever seen me freak out.

I don’t remember a single thing we talked about.

I know I cried.

I know I talked over him.

I know I apologized for not being cool and collected like Nashville people are supposed to be.

And I know it was really him because, well, I’d know John-Boy’s voice anywhere and because Kyle snapped this picture.

Y’all.

Y’ALL.

That’s me on the other end of that phone. ME! Little ole AnnieBlogs. Who can believe it.

I talked to Richard Thomas, John-Boy Walton, on the phone for approximately 36 seconds. And there is photo proof.

I feel bad that I didn’t tell him how much my family has bonded over the show, how my Mom owns every season on DVD… well, maybe I did tell him? Who knows. But I got my family on a conference call as soon as John-Boy and I hung up [freaking.out.still.] and we all were in shock.

Mainly me.

Currently freakout scale is about a 5 and I’ve hovered here for two days.

So there is the story of the time when I turned into a massive fangirl in the middle of a Monday afternoon.

. . . . .

Your turn.

Who is one living person that you are certain, if they called your phone, you would lose your marbles?

1. ~VA~
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 6:14 AM  |  reply

haha umm almost anyone? I am terrified of using the phone so I freak out anytime I decide I ought to answer the phone (usually I just ignore it and let voicemail pick it up)…I don’t know if I could handle a famous person who I adored calling me…but I understand the feeling since it’s probably pretty similar to what I feel anytime the phone rings…

2. posted on May 23, 2012 at 6:23 AM  |  reply

oh.my.goodness.gracious.day.in.the.morning. I would have freaked, too! Wait until my 10yo wakes up and I show him this. You have awesome friends. Awesome.

I’d lose my marbles if any famous person called me on the phone.

3. posted on May 23, 2012 at 7:47 AM  |  reply

How COOL!!!! And how fun to be able to lose your marbles in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon. I would TOTALLY die if Gary Sinise called me! Seriously, I am SUCH a fan. :)

4. Amy
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 8:07 AM  |  reply

Willie Nelson. And Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty :)

5. posted on May 23, 2012 at 8:33 AM  |  reply

I’m kinda a nerd but if George Bush Sr would call my house I would freek. I meet him once back in my old political days and he is so nice. Barbara Bush would do the same.
    Thanks for the info on the INSP network never knew I had it. Already DVR some movies. My girls love Little House.

6. gmh
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM  |  reply

That is bodacious and awesome!!!!
    Ok, my freak-out person would be George W. Bush. I would absotively pee my pants if I could talk to him or to Laura. My brother (law enforcement) has met him and he says W. is a great guy- very genuine and extremely nice.
    A close second would be Patrick Stewart.
    Oh, Jean-luc…

7. posted on May 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM  |  reply

That is so great Annie!I had a geek out moment when I ran into you at lunch one day, :)

My geek out would be Tom Colicchio from Top Chef fame. I’m a big ol’ foodie nerd and have gotten to meet several of the chefs from the show. However if I met that man, I’m pretty sure I’d be wearing some massive pit stains and laughing awkwardly.

8. posted on May 23, 2012 at 9:31 AM  |  reply

We were fans of the show growing up too, but one of the things I remember was how dominant Judy Norton (Mary Ellen) was in the Battle of the Network Stars programs. She carried the CBS teams.

9. posted on May 23, 2012 at 9:46 AM  |  reply

annie, that is awesome!!!

i love celebrities, LOVE them, but i would love love love to have a connection to dick van dyke. i knew a guy with the last name van dyke and one time i posted my love for dick van dyke on facebook and he commented back something about him being his great uncle but then he DELETED HIS FACEBOOK and i only knew him from a festival i went to for work… so i may never know if i really was a degree away from my beloved dick van dyke. sigh.

10. posted on May 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM  |  reply

I once interviewed David Crowder for a magazine I was interning at. He agreed to record my voicemail greeting and it was so wonderful and Crowderesque… he said something like “I don’t know where Maria is but leave a message and I’m guessing she’ll call you back.” For the year or so I kept that as my greeting I was constantly getting calls from friends of friends who had heard about it and wanted to hear it. And I’d answer the phone and they’d go “Oh… um…” and I’d say “gooo aheaddd, call back, I won’t answer next time.”

Next time I ask a celeb to record my voicemail I’m also going to ask for a phone bill stipend.

• posted on May 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM  |  reply

this is awesome.

11. Nicole
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM  |  reply

So, I’m the Youth Ministry leader at my church, and one of my kids,Caleb, who is a senior with Downs Syndrom, had gone to a David Crowder meet and greet after a concert, and he walked right up to David Crowder and said “I want you at my grad party” Everyone laughed. Three years later on a whim, Caleb’s mom sent an invite to David Crowder, not thinking anything would happen.

Even though he had a show in AZ the night before, he got on a plane by himself and flew to Minnesota to go to Caleb’s grad party. No one knew he was coming but when he walked in, everyone started weeping, and freakin’ out.

He was just the coolest human I have ever encountered, and I was the craziest super fan ever.

• posted on May 23, 2012 at 8:58 PM  |  reply

That is an awesome story!

12. posted on May 23, 2012 at 10:54 AM  |  reply

This is awesome. I used to watch The Waltons with my family as a child, but never quite had the love for it that you convey on here. =)

I’ve met a few celebrities (movie, music and politics) and tried to act completely normal about it, attempting to convince myself that they are normal people too. I always walk away wondering if I came across as treating them normally or being another crazed lunatic.

My celebrity crushes and complete freak out moments at the moment would be Ewan McGregor (had a thing for him since I found out the man can SING), Liam Neeson (would be entraced by a phone call from that voice) and Tom Felton (holy cow, I’m embarrassed to admit that, as he is far too young for me to find attractive).

I obviously have a thing for British boys.

I can’t believe I just confessed to this on the internet. =)

13. posted on May 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM  |  reply

we are college basketball fans in this divided house… me a duke fan and hubby a unc fan, the three children waiver depending upon who is winning the game at the time they are asked. two of my all-time favorites are grant hill and shane battier, so either of those would excite me!

oh annie i heart you so much after admitting that you dont like game nights! when hubby and i were first dating (we were the older dating couple~30~ and most friends were married) we went to a friends house who was a pastor. they were having a church party for some reason. jd casually mentioned that they were huge group game players… i immediately went into full panic mode. as in i will hide in the bathroom the entire night so i will not have to play mode! actually i hid in the kitchen with the food. even now, every year we attend a work christmas party for him and there are games involved. i will answer questions and participate from the safety of my seat but i will not stand in front of the group and do any sort of charades or acting out or you name it. i will not give into the peer pressure.

we do play games with our children (qwirkle being our current favorite) like matching games, candyland etc. but that is different! i could go on forever… maybe that will be my next blog post!

14. Katelyn
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM  |  reply

uhmm…well I lost my marbles when YOU commented on my blog.

“ANNIEBLOGS COMMENTED ON MY BLOG??!!”

That’s how it went.

15. Beverly
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM  |  reply

I watched The Waltons as a child, but wasn’t quite the fan that you are. Until it started coming on INSP. Last year at the beach, when it was raining in the afternoons, my mom & I would watch. And. I. Was. Hooked. Now, it’s my go-to show as well. I just have 1 thing to say: John Walton. A man who smells like sawdust AND teaches his family great values????? Seriously. Makes me swoon. :)

16. posted on May 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM  |  reply

You don’t like game nights either?? And here I was thinking I’m the only person in the whole world who doesn’t like game nights (at least that’s how it is around here). Whew, I feel so much better now. :)..Tim Tebow…yep, I can NOT help myself! Kinda embarrassin’

17. posted on May 23, 2012 at 1:29 PM  |  reply

Oh and Dave Barnes…No stinkin’ lie!!

18. Christy Peevy
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM  |  reply

I am SO. FREAKING. JEALOUS. of you right now. I grew up watching the Waltons on TBS. It was great because their programming was always 5 minutes behind which delayed bathtime by 5 whole minutes. No lie…I can see the title of the show and the opening scene and tell you what show it is. I cried at the Reunion movie like my family was back together. I LOVED IT! This post made me happy.

I would have to say if I ever met or talked to Vince Gill I think I would die. Like heart burst, dead on the floor. Gone. RIP. The end.

19. posted on May 23, 2012 at 2:29 PM  |  reply

What a killer story! Wait, so you’re saying you hate game nights??? :)

20. Hannah
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM  |  reply

Reba, most definitely. But you already knew that. ;)

21. Shay
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 7:16 PM  |  reply

You must talk about game night soon! I also dislike game night and all my friends know this!

22. Andrea
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 7:44 PM  |  reply

DOLLY PARTON!

23. Amy
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM  |  reply

Love this one, Annie! Totally understand your reaction to this. We watched EVERY Thursday night when I was growing up. If you asked me, or either of my parents, what our favorite tv show was, it is always, always the Waltons. The answer to your question-President George W. Bush, seriously.

24. Btc/Fm
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 8:21 PM  |  reply

Your grandmother Kath was such a Walton’s fan. She was so proud of you, but now that you’ve talked to John-Boy…..she is really smiling in heaven.

25. posted on May 23, 2012 at 9:00 PM  |  reply

This story makes me happy. Can we still be blog friends even though I’ve never seen an episode of The Waltons?

26. Jennybc
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 9:06 PM  |  reply

you make me smile on with even post (and I now cannot read living social entries without thinking of you and giggling!). How fun for you! I love a serendipitous happy that comes along. A memory for a lifetime of just a day that had a great big smile in it! Love it! Love you!

27. CC
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 9:11 PM  |  reply

The Walton’s are to you what the Golden Girls are to me. So, Betty White since she’s the only one left. And the other celeb who would cause me to cry like a little girl is Reba. Loved her since the 3rd grade. Thanks for sharing that fun story! I don’t care what anyone says about them being “real” people, if they were we wouldn’t freak out when we see them in public.

28. posted on May 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM  |  reply

hmm, maybe JK Rowling or Sharon Creech or some other children’s book author… but I love children’s lit. And I just imagine they’d say something brilliant and inspiring and I would immediately go write an incredible book.

If I had to pick a celebrity, I’d chose Leo or Christian Bale or Jude Law. I’d have absolutely nothing to say to them. They haven’t changed my life or anything…but it’d be fun to hear them talking to me, on my phone. And I will write a blog on “Titanic and the Gospel” one day, I promise. Any of you ladies tired of hearing Braveheart references in your pastor’s sermons? I think there’s a class on it in seminary.

The Waltons were sacred in my house as well … I grew up in Richmond, Va and we traveled all over all the places mentioned in the show. I can hear my mom in the car on almost every camping trip, “Kids, we’re passing Walton’s Mountain!” The real Elizabeth actually lived in my neighborhood. And I imagine that, just like me, you forced your family to act out the final “goodnight scene” before going to sleep many a night. I always wished I had more siblings – it went too fast.

29. Christy
    posted on May 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM  |  reply

I love the Waltons too! I can cry just listening to the opening music. We always watched the show at my Grandparent’s house. My Grandma loved the show because she was the same age as Erin in the 30s/40s and so could relate with everything that happened.
    What a wonderful story about John-Boy. I would have “freaked out” too :-)

30. posted on May 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM  |  reply

Oh my friend. Living, reading and re-reading this story is a lot of fun. My INSP co-workers have gotten a kick out of it too as the link gets around the office. I had no idea it meant this much to you.

The book is coming your way!

Kyle

31. posted on May 24, 2012 at 1:15 PM  |  reply

I spent all evening yesterday trying to figure out who I would freak out over. (Well, okay, maybe not ALL evening…) Living in LA, I’ve actually met a few minor and major celebrities, and I always try really hard to “play it cool,” so I’m not sure that I would freak out that much. However, I would probably have a minor meltdown over Dominic Cooper because of a long-running joke/story with my college friends, and I discovered this morning that I would go to pieces over contact with the Nebraska Husker football team or coaching staff or whatnot. Yes, I’m a big fan. :)

32. I had a crush on JohnBoy
    posted on May 24, 2012 at 11:58 PM  |  reply

Okay, I just have to say I enjoyed this post so much! I watched The Waltons religiously as a teen and was so in love with John Boy Walton. He was a writer.. and so romantic.. and.. so silly, but back then, it wasn’t! Oh I loved Grandpa and Pa, too, but I dreamed about John Boy. My kids (young adults now) all mocked me for years when I confessed, but they still bought me the DVD TV series for Christmas. And they watched along with me for a while, but mostly just for the laughs. Anyway, loved your post!!

33. posted on May 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM  |  reply

So, I thought about not putting my name on this comment. Like maybe making my name “that girl who took a road trip with you and Jess to Hilton a couple years ago.” Or something. But whatever. I’m too lazy to change it. So here’s my answer: I would die on the spot if Jon Acuff called me. I know. You live in Nashville and he lives in Nashville and the way things seem to go, you’re probably total best friends with him. Or not. I don’t know. Apparently I was too lazy to change my comment name but not too lazy to ramble forever in the comment box.

*sigh*

Anyway. I’m not a fan girl. Never have been, might never be. I don’t get all giddy over movie stars or singers or any famous person. But when a friend grabbed my arm at Blissdom and started to pull me up front to introduce me to Jon Acuff? I almost hyperventilated and LITERALLY felt crazy tears coming. WHATISWRONGWITHME?

I don’t know. I really don’t. I mean, yes, I think he’s hilarious and smart and a great speaker and possibly cute (OHMYDIDIJUSTSAYTHAT) and his book Quitter is one of my very favorites. But hysterics? Over meeting him? Sad. So sad.

34. Lori
    posted on May 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM  |  reply

Geez Lou Freakin’ Weez!

I am coming out of lurkdom to proclaim my LOVE of the Walton’s and especially the original JOHN-BOY! AaaaahhhhhHH!!! Annie! That is just so amazing!

35. posted on May 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM  |  reply

This is absolutely fabulous!

36. Su
    posted on May 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM  |  reply

Whoa! Jealous! I would freak out, too!!