I wore a belt so I didn’t drowned.

on June 25, 2009 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 25 comments by

I went to water aerobics this morning.

And I loved it.

I had been warned by friends [mainly Skip] that it would be me and a bunch of grannies.

I said FALSE. [Cause I’m always right.] I knew my friend Molly was going with me, so I was more inclined to believe that it would be me and Molly… and the grannies.

I put the question out on twitter last night as to whether it would be grannie-ful or not, and most people said yes.

Emily directed me to this post by Megan and it got me all excited. I knew I would probably be the baby of the class, and the only one without ruby red lipstick, but this did not deter me. Nay, it spurred me on.

And this morning did not disappoint.

Sure, 6:45am came early. But when we got to the pool, four or five grannies were already strapped in to their safety belts and doggie-paddling their way to the deep end.

Molly and I started into the pool when we got stopped by another class attender, encouraging us to put on the belts. “You know this whole class is in the deep end, right?”

No, actually, we did not. But boy howdy, four minutes into the traveling bicycle move, we were both mighty glad that we had the belts on. Because water aerobic is TOUGH, y’all. Especially when she offered us the advanced option of standing on TWO separate noodles.

Laugh if you will, but try it sometime. That junk is hard.

So, an hour later, while we stretched out in the shallow end, and Grandma Becky shared about her 2nd place finish in Bridge yesterday, my body actually felt tired. And I realized that I had worked out for a solid 60 minutes and never once thought, “if I walk out now, will anybody notice?”.

Not to get all serious on you, and especially since I don’t really blog about diet/exercise/the size of my pants, I won’t say too much down this path. But I will say that the fact that I enjoyed exercising for an hour speaks VOLUMES to me. And like I just told my roomie Jamie, it’s not the most intense exercise ever, but if I enjoy it and want to keep doing it, by gosh, the angels probably started singing.

Oh, and I may or may not have agreed to be a sub for a Bridge Club.

1. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 9:18 AM  |  reply

I AM TOTALLY GOING TO DO THIS WITH YOU.

2. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 9:22 AM  |  reply

Amazing. Love this post! I maybe sorta want to try now…

3. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 9:43 AM  |  reply

Haha, glad to know I’m not the only one who loves water aerobics with the old folks! They can kick some butt, I’m telling you! I was in the best shape of my life when I went to that class 3x a week. It all went downhill when my membership expired.

4. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 9:47 AM  |  reply

yay!!! good for you. i would love to find a class like that close to me!! i love swimming and water and have often thought i would like water aerobics!!

5. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 10:10 AM  |  reply

That is so awesome to find a class like that. The pool by my house costs too much and is nasty. boo.
    Glad you had fun!

6. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 11:43 AM  |  reply

Ahem….I have just got back from my session in the pool. I am a granny, but a new one, at that! And yes, it is a total blast, not to mention a wonderful work out. Grannies and water aerobics (or aqua, as we call it here) are great! Glad to have you join us!

PS …… this Granny is also one of your “peeps”, so I am not too old and doddery. Yet. I hope!

7. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 11:46 AM  |  reply

Um, I think I want to try this now!

8. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM  |  reply

This is so cool, I love it! I would love to exercise with Grannies, they must be the most supportive people to work out with!

9. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 11:56 AM  |  reply

Girl, water aerobics is nothing to sneeze at! I did it in college one summer and LOVED it. It’s a great workout and you don’t sweat. Uh, hello! It will work those muscles, sista!

10. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 12:40 PM  |  reply

I am definitely considering taking one of these classes. Not only do I love the water (especially when pregnant), but I also love little old ladies. And, I gotta tell ya, I feel sure that the ladies I see climbing in and out of the pool at the YMCA I go to could totally kick my butt. With or without a purse. So, I think water aerobics is awesome!

11. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 12:53 PM  |  reply

I love this, Annie! I considered a water aerobics class a couple months ago, but wimped out. Not that I went and found the exercise too strenuous and wimped out . . . more that I thought about going, was excited about going, thought about the reality of getting up that early to put on a swimming suit and go out in public, and wimped out. This is a good reminder – I should reconsider.

12. Face
    posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 12:56 PM  |  reply

Way to go!!! I heart water aerobics. I did them my intern year and got the strongest forearms ever. Keep it up, friend!

13. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 12:57 PM  |  reply

I’ll have to look into this myself. I have arthritis in my left hip & a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder (I swear I’m only 45!) so this would be just the ticket. And the fact that you didn’t hate it is really encouraging – I’m NOT an exerciser (as my recent post about walking – called Cake Wake demonstrates)…

14. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 12:57 PM  |  reply

Um, that should read Cake WALK – although in my case Wake might be appropriate too!

15. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 1:38 PM  |  reply

“Laugh if you will, but try it sometime. That junk is hard.”
    Tell me about it. I was a lifeguard in a past life. 🙂 Swimming all those laps & treading water for what feels like hours takes a lot out of you. I’m betting you sleep well tonight.

16. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 1:48 PM  |  reply

That is awesome! I would love to try a water aerobics class. And while you may not have felt that it was that intense, I bet you will feel the effects in your muscles. Swimming is a GREAT workout!

17. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 5:36 PM  |  reply

amazing! I think I would love water aerobics as well, but I will stick to my jazzercise and swimming! Hope you have more fun with the grannies and your friends…it will be neat to connect with older women no matter how you do it, in the pool or at the Bridge table!! :o)

18. Southern Gal
    posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 6:25 PM  |  reply

Yay for finding an exercise you enjoy!

19. annemarie
    posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 7:07 PM  |  reply

haha You are too funny. I am glad you had a good time at water aerobics, and I am sure the grannies adored you!! Now, you better go practice your bridge skills 🙂

20. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 7:23 PM  |  reply

What a great opportunity to meet some women who have “been there, done that.” And who ROCK at Bridge.

21. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM  |  reply

Good for you for going, Annie… and also, for not drowning.
    Because I’m pretty sure that woulda put a… wait for it… “damper” on your day… OOHH!
    You liked it, admit it. 🙂

22. posted on Jun 25, 2009 at 10:16 PM  |  reply

Yay for you for not drowning! This sounds a lot more fun than The Shred for sure….or at least the four days of The Shred that I completed. I am truly not a fan of the exercising.

Standing on two separate noodles? That must be like their version of The Shred Level 3.

Just be clear. When you say “grannies,” you’re talking about people MUCH older than 39, right?

23. posted on Jun 27, 2009 at 7:48 AM  |  reply

this post cracked me up! It gives me a new respect for those tough grannies doing the water areobics!

We have a friend who took a water aerobics class, (male friend in a class full of female grannies) and dropped his goggles, he dove down to get them and on the way up ran right into a granny booty.

I am still not sure what provoked him to take that class.

24. posted on Jun 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM  |  reply

omg – so funny.

i wanna go!!!

miss you girl.

25. posted on Jul 01, 2009 at 8:32 PM  |  reply

I’m a HUGE fan of water aerobics–I started going during my first pregnancy, and fell in love. I haven’t been in several years, but it was totally the start of me getting into shape. Just as long as you don’t start planning to wear grown up swimmie diapers.