What a pain.

on February 20, 2010 in Get Fit with 22 comments by

I don’t usually post on the weekends. It’s a boundary thing. It’s a give-the-people-a-break-from-Annie thing.

But I’m gonna today.

Because I think I need your prayers.

For some of you long-suffering bloggites, you may remember Fall 08 when THE CANKLE happened.

[And can I have a moment to rabbit trail here? As I found this post to link to it, I re-read some of the comments and realized that some of you have been putting up with my crazy for a long time. It kinda moved my heart. Thanks for still being here. I heart all of you readers out there. For realz.]

About a week before THE CANKLE happened, I wrote this post about how clumsy I had become as of late. Little did I know that I was about to fall off my porch and tear every ligament in my left ankle.

Which brings us to today. Or, actually, yesterday.

I was helping assemble a desk and dropped the drawer of the desk onto my right foot from approximately 3 feet up. Directly onto the top of my foot. [And I did not say one ungodly word, thank you very much.] Because I am a wimp, I complained about it all day Friday. But to be fair, it hurt a whole whole lot.

And today it is swollen and red with a bruise-ish outline. Not good.

DOUBLE not good since I’m supposed to workout EVERY DAY.

I’m gonna shoot you straight, bloggite. I’m not surprised. Because I know deep in my knower that this whole Get Fit Challenge thing is a big deal- for me personally and for those of you out there who need to watch this journey. I’m not ignorant of that fact. It’s not like I forget that people are watching. This isn’t a private Annie thing.

This is a God thing.

And so freak injuries, frustrations, lies running through my head like the Polar Express? They have a source. And according to John 10:10, that source is an enemy (Satan) who wants to steal, kill, and destroy.

I heard whispered encouragement to quit after my weigh-in. But I didn’t.

I heard whispered reminders that I’m too weak to do this. But I’m not.

I heard whispered threats that I’m going to fail in front of God and everybody. But I don’t think I will.

I heard whispered ideas that I should quit if it hurts, if I don’t see a change in the scale, if I don’t feel good. But I won’t quit.

So the fact that an injury was next in line? I. Still. Won’t. Quit.

And I’m telling you today because I need you to pray for me- for protection (physical, emotional, spiritual), endurance, wisdom, determination. All that jazz.

I’m not scared. But I am aware. And as this journey deepens and more people begin to understand the JOY of living your story in the light, the more I need to be covered.

So please pray.

But don’t worry. I’m not quitting. Cause I think the end of this story may be really really good. And I don’t want any of us to miss it.

[I’ll be meditating on Psalm 91, a family favorite, this weekend. I invite you to do the same.]

1. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 8:12 AM  |  reply

That’s my daddy’s favorite Psalm.

Praying, girlfriend. Tell satan to get behind you. God’s got your back.

2. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 8:14 AM  |  reply

Girl I will for sure be praying – I know my hubby and I have been facing the same thing with moving downtown ATL – why does the enemy know all our weak spots? lame.

Thankful we serve a God who is much bigger than the enemy 🙂

3. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:12 AM  |  reply

praying even now. hang in there!

the scripture i LOVED during my weight watchers days: 2 Timothy 1:7
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

you can do it!

4. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:32 AM  |  reply

There are lots of work out things that don’t involve standing on your foot… so just focus on those awhile. You can do this! You’re much stronger than the enemy because – you know – the whole “greater is He that is in me….” thing.

5. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:48 AM  |  reply

Def. praying. The enemy uses any means possible to not only thwart our goal, but to crush our spirits. Hope in Christ–He’s begun this, and He WILL finish it.

(Try the stationary bike for a while and then spend some time on the elliptical, perhaps? Too bad it’s so cold… the pool is excellent for that kind of exercise.)

6. ali
    posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 9:50 AM  |  reply

Cankle’s of the world unite!

Did they put metal in your cankle? I can’t remember. I have mad metal in mine. Satan’ got nothin’ on my cankle.

And I remind him frequently, I read the end of the story, and he loses.

7. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 10:08 AM  |  reply

I am definitely praying for you, Annie!

8. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 10:49 AM  |  reply

I’ll be praying while you elevate and ice that thing. If you feel like skipping a day with your legs, see if your gym has an upper extremity bike–that way you can get your cardio and still spare the cankle. Or, just stick to the recumbent bike like someone else suggested. Praying for you during this time and anxiously awaiting the fantastic results…..

9. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 11:18 AM  |  reply

I’ll be praying for you Annie. The enemy has a way of zeroing in on those things that are most important, doesn’t he?

10. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 11:30 AM  |  reply

most definitely will be praying! and hey, try a spinning (cycling) class if you can find one! i rolled my ankle running right before christmas and almost used it as an excuse to not work out at all. but spinning puts barely any pressure on your feet, so it’s perfect!

11. Debs
    posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 11:44 AM  |  reply

Dear “Cankle overcomer” the victory is yours in Christ…He is greater than any of this…all this comes to perfect your faith and keep you pressing in! Praying for you…thanks for asking!

12. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM  |  reply

How do you not click on a link labeled The Cankle? I think I may throw that into my post titles just to get people to click from time to time.
    Sorry about your injury but I cant even imagine for a second that you would quit…call me a newer follower (well since Nov) so I only read the strong successful(shut up, yes you are) gal that is conquering Nashville an the writing world. I will pray but I’m not worried.

13. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 1:43 PM  |  reply

I too am a fairly new follower, Annie. And, though I don’t really know you, I totally feel like we could be friends, because, well, I so relate to so much of what you write. I know God’s using you to bring glory to Himself. And Satan is not liking that. Not one little bit. In fact, you scare him, that’s why he’s working so hard to discourage you. So, keep leaning on Jesus. He wins. 🙂 And am praying.

14. Julianne
    posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 5:38 PM  |  reply

I’m definitely praying for you!

P.s. When you get a chance, go look under my favorite books on facebook 🙂 love you!

15. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 5:50 PM  |  reply

Wow, our lives are parallel right now. I just led worship at Friday Night Fire last night, and of course, that morning I had a sore throat. Which then progressed to fever and cold sweats and tons of fun up on stage while pushing through that to sing. But we can only take these things as encouragement that we’re on the right path. Because the enemy hates when we’re on the right path.

Oh and here’s a quote from Bill Johnson from Bethel Church that one of my friends told me right before I went on stage last night: “We are the most vulnerable not when we are facing a big temptation, we are the most vulnerable after our greatest success.”

Keep going. Love you.

16. Cindy Browning
    posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 7:06 PM  |  reply

Annie, I will pray for you…I have and continue to do so for all of us. I have so had moments of where I think that I cannot do this. My bad habits do not want to let loose of me nor does my fat. I have learned that I have allowed bad habits to have an inch and they have attached to me so severly that it is painful to break free from them. My next blog is going to be about this very thing. God is teaching me about discipline which I thought I had but now realize that I really had none. Hang in there Annie, you will be fine and will succeed I know it!!!

17. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 8:37 PM  |  reply

Take ’em captive, Annie; you can do all things. I’m praying for you to be victorious through this journey and for quick healing for your foot.

Andrea

18. posted on Feb 20, 2010 at 11:59 PM  |  reply

Praying! You can do it. If its really sore, change your routine to weights and yoga for a few days, lay of the aerobics to let your foot heal, but don’t stop!!

19. posted on Feb 21, 2010 at 8:49 AM  |  reply

Annie…Praying for you on this Sunday morning! You can do this…because He that is within you is stronger that he who is in this world.

20. Kristi
    posted on Feb 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM  |  reply

Oh, Annie – you are such a mighty warrior!! I’ll be thinking of you and praying that satan will be sorry he dared to mess with the likes of us God-fearing women. I’m proud of you for making this journey, not just for yourself – but for doing it publicly to help others who are struggling also. Keep the faith!!

21. sara beth
    posted on Feb 22, 2010 at 12:27 AM  |  reply

ok – you have to order these dvds from physique 57 the place where i work out (ask annie – she’s heard more than enough about this place.) anyway, you can do the workout with your kind of injury and they are entertaining (not boring work-out videos.) go to http://www.physique57.com and order them. so good! and for fun – become a fan on face book and watch the video outtakes of my friends tanya + shelly. it will make you heart them before they kick your rear….
    or your know – you could always just fly up to nyc and take a class. 🙂

22. posted on Feb 22, 2010 at 6:55 PM  |  reply

You are lovely and brave and silly and fun and funny and called and powerful and wise and… Annie.