If I can make it there, …..

on April 26, 2010 in Dreams Coming True, Mocha Club with 19 comments by

then it will be a miracle because you know I have THE WORST sense of direction of all time and I have to take a car to a plane to a plane to a taxi to a subway to a train.

I bet that you can guess by the post title where I am today [New York City!].

And why I was so MIA last week [work + tutoring during finals + prepping for NYC!].

No, there is not a parade that I’ve dreamt of attending for 29 years and no, I am not giving that Peruvian restaurant on the Upper West Side another chance to turn me inside out. [See NYC ’09 post here.]

I am going to meet with Seth Godin.

Seth Godin is considered America’s greatest marketer. He writes lots of books I find HUGELY helpful in my life and my professional career(s). He has a blog that is great. And he’s smart. Really smart.

And at 4pm EST today, I’ll be sitting in a room with him, discussing all things marketing, probably talking about the Mocha Club, and possibly going over the fact that HEY I KEEP GETTING MARKETING-LIKE JOBS BUT I DON’T KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT MARKETING (but I want to) SO TEACH ME PLEASE.

And by “don’t know everything.” I mean, “I’m a former elementary school teacher who was trained in many-a-thing, none having to do with social media marketing in 2010.”

Seth is hosting a seminar for 11 people in New York mid-May and I am one of the 22 finalists trying to get one of the 11 seats around his desk.

I’m pretty thrilled to just get 1 seat today, but it would be rad for me to have that same seat in a few weeks to learn. learn. learn.

I’m wearing my pink cardigan because pink goes well with my skin tone- pale. I’m bringing my laptop, mainly because it looks important, not because I plan on showing him any of my facebook albums. I’m staying on the same street as Magnolia Bakery and somehow, by the grace of God alone, I will not have a cupcake.

I am going to have a really good time- in the interview, on the train, with my friend Sara Beth, walking down the streets.

And maybe, just maybe, I’ll get to see New York again in a few weeks.

[And. Your prayers would be appreciated. For the travel. For the interview. For the etc. that comes to your mind. Gracias.]

1. posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 5:55 AM  |  reply

WOW! That is so cool! I love his work and I will certainly be praying for 1) safety for your travels, 2) wisdom to ask & learn what you need for your future goals, and 3) enjoyment of the experience because sometimes we are meant to simply enjoy the moment – soak up the good stuff, throw out the rest.

I love trips to NYC – so jealous! Have a GREAT time.

2. posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 6:14 AM  |  reply

How exciting! Praying you get the opportunity to sit and learn under someone who really knows his stuff.

3. posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 6:28 AM  |  reply

So awesome! I’ll pray. Good luck!!

4. posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:14 AM  |  reply

YAY! Way to go, Annie. We’re traveling with you, via your inside scoop here. I hope you make the final 11 because then we’d get to go back too. 🙂 We think you’re great at marketing — what is marketing but sharing your passion for connecting with people?

I keep hearing about Seth Godin’s book, Tribes. Everybody’s telling me to read it. I must get me a copy!

5. Rebecca Jones
    posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

Go Annie Go!

Pumped and praying.

6. posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 9:40 AM  |  reply

Wow! That sounds like a great opportunity, Annie. I just finished Linchpin a few weeks ago, and I must say, Seth Godin radically changed my approach to my work. Have a blast in NYC!

7. posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM  |  reply

Annie,

Have a great time!

Praying for safe travels and a good trip.

8. Mickie
    posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM  |  reply

Oh Annie – have a BLAST!! And as for those cupcakes . . . chances are there are none left. I brought home a sack full this weekend!!

9. posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM  |  reply

Go Annie Go! Have fun in NYC…I’ll be praying for you!! Let me know if there’s anything I can do for you. 🙂

10. posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM  |  reply

Exciting! My husband is a HUGE fan of Seth’s!

I’ll be in NYC in a couple of weeks shooting a wedding. I love that city!

Good luck!

11. posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 3:08 PM  |  reply

Praying for you friend. I do hope it’s okay to call you friend. I really think we would be if we met in real life.

What an awesome opportunity. So thrilled for you. I know God is doing mighty things in and through you. This is no small reassurance of that.

Good luck with the cupcake thing. I’ve been on the eating-lifestyle change journey like yourself. The call of the cake is strong. You can be like David against that Goliath!

12. posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM  |  reply

Wow Annie that is awesome!! Prayers ascending.

13. Tammy Latty
    posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 6:02 PM  |  reply

This is so exciting Anne! I love NY and you of course!

14. posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:33 PM  |  reply

Wow!!! THE Seth Godin gets to meet THE Annie Blogs??? Cool!

I will absolutely pray for you and your travel and your interview!

15. posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 8:47 PM  |  reply

You are so insanely lucky!

16. posted on Apr 26, 2010 at 9:48 PM  |  reply

So exciting – good luck!!!

17. posted on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:36 AM  |  reply

I love that you used the word ‘rad.’ Hoping this happens for you!

18. sara beth
    posted on Apr 27, 2010 at 6:26 PM  |  reply

ha! just now reading this. no wonder you said ‘nope!’ before i even finished the “do you want a magnolia cup…” question last night. went for wellies instead. 🙂 LOVED seeing you!!

19. posted on Apr 29, 2010 at 12:00 AM  |  reply

I want to be you so bad it freakin hurts.