A memory.

on June 2, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 12 comments by

A few years ago, Molly and I met up with Haley at a Moe’s Restaurant.

It was Haley’s birthday and she was pregnant with her first kid. [Jarrett, who has, in his 3 years of life, single-handedly won my heart like no other male has done [to date].]

We decided to give Haley magazine subscriptions for her birthday. I think it was a Saturday. Haley’s birthday is in October, and I remember she had on her red hat and Molly had on shorts and a long sleeve shirt.

We laid out in front of her about 10 different magazines- mom magazines, marriage magazines, decorating magazines, and our staple- Real Simple. She got to keep all those issues and then we said, “pick the two that you want to have subscriptions for and we’ll get ’em!”

I was so excited about the gift that we didn’t even order our food first. We went straight to the table. Haley was on time- Molly and I were late. So she was already sitting in a booth. She laughed at the basket of magazines, flipped through a few, and said thanks. Then we went and ordered quesadillas.

I don’t know why this memory keeps replaying in my head. The three of us have files and files of hilarious memories, exciting memories, and tearful memories. But for some reason, the simplicity of Haley’s birthday in 2006 has been rubbing my heart raw.

As much as I love Nashville [and I. Love. Nashville.], I don’t think I will ever quit missing my life in Marietta.

I miss Moe’s.

I miss Haley and Molly.

I miss birthdays together.

I miss those simple Saturdays.

I miss magazine subscriptions to addresses that we thought would never change.

1. posted on Jun 02, 2010 at 4:17 AM  |  reply

There’s something about the impermanence of life that makes those kind of memories sharper. I know just what you mean.

2. Merideth
    posted on Jun 02, 2010 at 7:44 AM  |  reply

I’m sorry you are missing Marietta. I’m sure your old life misses you too! You are really blessed to still have your friends here in Atlanta, and you know that even though you are not with them all the time you’re not forgotten. They love you,and carry you with them all the time. Plus, you can still visit them any time you need a Marietta fix.
    It’s funny that you mentioned birthdays in this post because today is mine,and I feel as far away from my friends as you are from yours(even though I’m in metro Atlanta I’m at leaszt an hour from everyone,and I can’t drive to get to any of them.). Thankfully, I do have my family with me to celebrate, which is always great. But, my prayer today is to know/feel/experience the depth of God’s love for me. He’s shown me recently I need that most. So, today I’ll pray for his love to reach your homesick heart. He knows how you feel better than the rest of us,and cares. Love ya girl!

3. posted on Jun 02, 2010 at 9:32 AM  |  reply

Holla Annie! I live in the fabulous Marietta! I know just what it’s like to miss it – and those fabulous peeps who live there. Guess it’s a good thing that you didn’t move TOO far away!

4. posted on Jun 02, 2010 at 10:40 AM  |  reply

what a great post…made my heart ache for home.

5. posted on Jun 02, 2010 at 10:48 AM  |  reply

I totally get where you you’re coming from. I just moved to Nashville but my friends and family back in the Chicago area are never far from my mind.

6. ali
    posted on Jun 02, 2010 at 1:20 PM  |  reply

Welcome to Moe’s!

Music to my ears.

7. Heidi S
    posted on Jun 03, 2010 at 9:13 AM  |  reply

I totally understand where your heart is coming from.

8. posted on Jun 03, 2010 at 9:21 AM  |  reply

I awarded you!

9. posted on Jun 03, 2010 at 11:09 PM  |  reply

Annie, I just found your blog and I love it. This post made me sad. Homesickness is such a tough feeling. Even if you love where you live, there truly is nothing like being HOME.

10. Haley
    posted on Jun 04, 2010 at 11:36 AM  |  reply

Sadly I think I am becoming known for the red hat…miss wearing it your presence

11. Jo
    posted on Jun 04, 2010 at 11:11 PM  |  reply

As a wife of a Pastor our family has faced many moves. You have expressed so well that ache within the heart of the longing for faces and places that are familiar. It is not to say that we feel this way all of the time or that we don’t adjust and adapt but some days the yearning for the familiar is definitely within. In these times we need God to hold us close.

12. Jenny
    posted on Jun 12, 2010 at 10:37 PM  |  reply

Hey girl, long time no see or talk 🙂 Hope all is well, I too have that same feeling whether it be Marietta, Athens, Bham, NYC…and I think im finally starting to realize our hearts will always ache for some place we lived before cause we just arent REALLY home yet. Im holding out that in Heaven all that ache will fall away.