My writing table.

on June 17, 2010 in I heart books., Ze Bloggy Goodness with 9 comments by

I have long wanted to use this table well. It used to be my grandmother’s. It sat in her bedroom, beside her bed. I’ve had it since she passed away in 1999, but this is the first time I feel like it is being fully appreciated.

And by that, I mean, “many-a-stacks live here.”

I sat at my computer today, trying to finish up an article for Little Black Dress Little Red Wagon Magazine, and I got 100% distracted by the piles on Kath’s table. Then my bloggy brain started turning and I decided to tell you what is on the table. And because I’m a freak of nature, I numbered things on my table. Weird-O, party of 1.

1. Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer. Our girls Bible study is just beginning this and I, for one, am thrilled about it.
  2. Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl by ND Wilson. Dave told me to read this book and he has never led me astray literarily, so I trusted him. I bought it first on my Kindle and then loved it so much that I wanted a real shelf copy. It’s awesome.
  3. A deck of cards that Drew Worsham left at my house. He’s a magician. I think that’s like leaving your briefcase somewhere, but I don’t know. I just wish the bunnies would stop popping out of the box. [A little magic humor, anyone? Yeah?] I don’t know why the deck is sitting on this table, I guess I just can’t figure out where to keep my magic supplies.
  4. A picture of my two best friends from home, Molly and Haley. It’s like an anchor.
  5. A serious stack of books that I should be reading but I’m not [currently]. Including things from Mike Bickle, Beth Moore, and Madeleine L’Engle.
  6. A copy of my very favorite magazine in the WORLD- Real Simple. I adore it, plain and… well… simple. [ouch- worse than the bunny joke, right?]
  7. Would you believe that this is where I keep my most important documents? I know that is ridiculous, but I also know EXACTLY where the important stuff is. So. Someday I’ll get a safe or something, but for now, this spot will do just fine.
  8. A notebook full of my letters from Fred- my Compassion kid. Love him to pieces.
  9. A cup from Seaside, Florida. Because I eat breakfast here. And drink orange juice, even though it is high in calories because some things, people, are worth the calories.
  10. My prayer cards. Remember? I told you about my praying plan here.

So there you go. The things I stare at day after day, yet never clean up. The piles run in the family. It’s my heritage.

Procrastination over. Back to writing.

Happy Thursday! 🙂

1. posted on Jun 17, 2010 at 6:52 AM  |  reply

I don’t know, Annie. You look a little ‘book poor’ like me.

2. posted on Jun 17, 2010 at 8:53 AM  |  reply

Mike Bickle, Beth Moore, Madeline L’Engle, Real Simple…my kind of girl!

3. posted on Jun 17, 2010 at 9:00 AM  |  reply

I love how you specify that Dave has never led you astray literarily. 🙂

4. posted on Jun 17, 2010 at 1:07 PM  |  reply

Love reading your blog Annie! You have a great way with words and your love for God is awesome!

Nicole
    from simplycreatedbycole.blogspot.com

5. posted on Jun 17, 2010 at 11:01 PM  |  reply

I’m reading Discerning the Voice of God too! I’m almost finished with it, and I really like it. I absolutely love the way Priscilla Shirer teaches. I think I like her teaching maybe a smidge more than I like this book but wow did it have some great principals. I really appreciated all the advice she added from other people describing how they heard from God. She’s fab. I want to read Tilt-a-Whirl too. I really like ND Wilson’s 100 Cupboards series. I’m excited to how his non-fiction flows!

6. posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:38 AM  |  reply

Your writing table is a thing of beauty!!! I love all your stacks 😉

7. posted on Jun 19, 2010 at 12:28 PM  |  reply

I love Real Simple, too….my favorite magazine ever! And my tables often look like this, as well. Stacked with books I am reading, and some that I want to read but I haven’t gotten to yet! Happy writing! And reading!

8. Karen
    posted on Jun 26, 2010 at 6:13 PM  |  reply

This is a somewhat late comment because I checked the link for Tilt a Whirl, was totally taken with the description and bought three books (two to share). I’m undone with the beauty and incredibleness of God and the world he made. Thanks for my new most favorite book in the world!

9. posted on Jul 04, 2010 at 8:03 PM  |  reply

#5 reminds me that I need to read some L’Engle.

#7 makes me nervous