World Cup.

on June 18, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 16 comments by

I wanted to warn you in the title, in case you hate soccer, sports, or the World Cup. Cause that’s all we are discussing today.

Because people, I love the World Cup. Back when AnnieBlogs was just a twinkle in my MacBook’s eyes [so pre-November 2006], I used to be an avid soccer player. And soccer watcher. And soccer enthusiast.

I can clearly remember drooling over Alexi Lalas in 1994 in my parents’ basement, where I camped out for the entire month, only coming upstairs to eat or kick my size 5 soccer ball up against the garage.

In 1998, we were in France AND SO WAS THE WORLD CUP. I didn’t get to go to a game, but I was thu-rilled to be there. And, by the way, France won that year. [Bless their hearts, this year is NOT going so well.]

In 2002, I was in college and we would have friends over at ungodly hours in the morning to watch games. Because the World Cup was in Korea.

I remember dumb things.

In 2006, I missed the US vs. Ghana game- it was a series of unfortunate events involving my mother’s tea shop.

And here we are. 2010. And they are playing in South Africa- a country I called home for 2 weeks exactly a year ago. So watching the coverage is sweet to me. I’m in no hurry to go back, but I did love Capetown.

A few things.

For starters, I have a crush on Modern Technology. If you love the World Cup, there is a killer free ESPN iPhone app that you. will. adore.

I also came across this amazing World Cup schedule that is beyond cool. So play on there if you so choose. [The majority of this website is not in English, so forgive me if something is glaringly offense in another language. I plead dumb on this one.]

Let’s talk teams.

Obviously. We have no choice but the cheer for the USA. We live here. We’re patriotic. And we aren’t going to make it far after we make it to the round of 16, so no biggie. Be a huge USA fan until we lose, then pick a better team.

[I’m not a terrorist. I love America. I just call it like it is, people. Watch the replay of USA v. England- they schooled us, even if the score didn’t reflect that.]

Most of the teams that were predicted to be awesome are losing because of flukey goals or ending up in a draw because no one can put it in the back of the net. It’s been rather strange to watch, but I’m a defender at heart, so low scoring games are great to me- it means my people are doing their jobs.

I love England. They are my team. The players are strong. The country invented the game. Red and white, baby. I also really like the Netherlands- I think they have a great chance. Germany looks scary. I don’t like them, but I respect them. Brazil could end up good, so could Portugal. I dunno. The first round of games didn’t display a ton of distinct forerunners, but I’m thinking the rest of group play will be pretty telling.

Today I will be watching USA at 9:30, hanging with Emily and Rob Blackledge, eating lunch with some girls, watching England at 1:30, then watching this week’s Bachelorette.

I already know. Casey sings acapella. I can barely contain my excitement.

Who’s your World Cup team this year? Are you watching? Have a favorite player or coach? In case you couldn’t tell, I absolutely love talking soccer, so bring it. [I mean, if you wanna. I’m not the boss of you, so I can’t make you do anything.]

Have a great weekend, y’all.

1. tatum
    posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 4:20 AM  |  reply

Hatin’ on Ghana? Rude.
    Go Black Stars!!

2. Debs
    posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 4:40 AM  |  reply

I’m lovin the world cup too… Typical soccer mom
    though…I want everyone to win, place nice and
    not get hurt! I love the World Cup because it bring
    my sons hearts together … they all played soccer!
    As for Casey…oh my…blog material there…and
    can I say in next weeks prreview he is wearing
    a scarf that many women own? Don’t miss that detail!
    Go teams….play to win…but stay safe!

3. anna
    posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 5:33 AM  |  reply

YAY for the Netherlands!! (says the Dutch girl)
    Our whole country is orange these weeks, seriously, some people *paint their houses orange*…
    This is from the European Cup in ’08 http://www.brabantsdagblad.nl/multimedia/archive/00772/BD_4631348_4631348-_772137b.jpg
    Insane.

It is the #1 sport here, though, we don’t really do baseball or basketball.
    We play quite well and we’ll probably (pretty sure) go to the next round, but I’m afraid we won’t win.
    We won once, in 1988, I was seven and still remember it. Awesome.

4. posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 5:33 AM  |  reply

wow….i heart the world cup too, annie! last night we were out in seoul and everyone was watching the south korea game. everyone was excited and cheering even in the midst of them getting their bums kicked by argentina. it is an incredible feeling to be in a country where the cup is soooo exciting and everyone is thrilled to be cheering for their team. there was a constant buzz and any place that had a TV on playing soccer was packed with lots of fans, all decked out in their red, and cheering like mad. it is incredible!

5. posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 7:15 AM  |  reply

Well, England of course! I live there. But in my house right now is a South African mother, a New Zealander daughter. My sister lives in Switzerland, and her huusband is German. I think that coveres all thebases for us then….. Hopefully ONE of them will do well. Maybe even win. “England expects…”

6. Jay
    posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 8:47 AM  |  reply

I pull for the Netherlands every World Cup… after USA is eliminated of course…

7. posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 9:14 AM  |  reply

Not even a mention of Argentina?? So far they are the only team to win 2 games πŸ™‚ (1-0 and 4-1). Germany was scary until they lost 0-1 today.

And DAMMIT the US just let a goal slip by!

8. posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 9:49 AM  |  reply

Here’s how I pick teams…by who’s the cutest. So…I like England this year. I don’t know a thing about soccer except that you’re supposed to get it in the goal if you’re offense and you’re supposed to keep the ball out of the goal if you’re defense. So…in that first game I saw where England played the US, that goalie from England? Well…not so good. But still cute.

9. posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM  |  reply

Hey Annie. I LOVE your post today because we are LIVING & loving the World Cup here in South Africa! It is absolutely electrifying. The buzz is incredible. It is also so super cool to meet so many people from different corner of the worl all jammed packed into our beautiful country for a month of soccer fever. Today Germany and Serbia played in my home town (Port Elizabeth). It was so cool to see πŸ™‚ Of course I am cheering Bafana Bafana all the way even if our chances are small. Viva South Africa – even if we don’t win the soccer, we win on patriotic pride and support πŸ™‚ Happy soccer viewing fellow soccer friend!

10. posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 12:33 PM  |  reply

Stupid REF!! Is all I have to say. Argh.

11. posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM  |  reply

Annie my dear, I had no idea you were a soccer lover! I played soccer when I was younger and sooooo into it. Until a horrific illness took my career, the first few yes I still avidly watched bit I don’t as much anymore bc it makes me sad I’ll never play again. However, GO USA! Do you pay attention to the womans game? I was the biggest Mia Hamm, Michelle akers, Julie Foudy, Brandi Chastain lover out there- actually cried at the end if their last olympics. I grew up with them and the woman now aren’t the same although they are all very talented. Abby Wambach os phenomonal as well as Cat Whitehill and Lori Lindsey.
    Did you get into the winter Olympics? I’ll have to see of you posted about them but my crush is not Alexi Llasas but. Apolo Anton Ohno! Hahaha

12. posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM  |  reply

My team tanked! πŸ™ I went to high school in Nigeria because my parents were missionaries there. I actually got to go to a junior world cup game when it was held in Nigeria. Spain vs Ghana. Obviously we were rooting for Ghana but they lost.
    My classmates and I were cheering for Nigeria but they had a bad game and some clumsiness going on.
    Go USA! for now. πŸ™‚

13. posted on Jun 18, 2010 at 7:08 PM  |  reply

I super love that y’all are soccer people.

After today, Germany may not be the powerhouse we once believed. England broke my heart with a tie.

And that goal that didn’t count for the USA? Let’s just say I partook of a small apple pastry post-game. AKA- I eat when my emotions are out of control.

I’ll be the first to admit that I didn’t really appreciate Bradley in game 1, I talked trash about him before today, and I asked forgiveness after he scored our second goal.

Wednesday morning- both games (USA and England) at the same time? What a nightmare.

Also, I LOVE that some of you guys live all over the world. I’ll keep that in mind next time I’m planning a vacay. πŸ™‚

Go USA.
    And England.

14. posted on Jun 19, 2010 at 2:09 AM  |  reply

I’m a crazy futebol fan, but Brasil is my team!!! I root for the US when they play, unless they play them πŸ˜‰ The official FIFA website has awesome stuff on there and for your iphone, I found an app that I just love: the vuvuzela app πŸ˜‰ Its a thing of beauty! Glad to see another World Cup Fan!

15. andy
    posted on Jun 19, 2010 at 2:31 AM  |  reply

hope you got to watch the bachelorette. spoiler alert!

(frog in throat)

“we were in the helicopter and i looked to my left and there you were.”

(allie chuckles)

16. posted on Jun 19, 2010 at 12:16 PM  |  reply

I am a USA and England girl, myself..loving the Netherlands, too…they’ve played super well. Watched the USA game yesterday and it was not right….the ref is gone, for sure. But I like what it has done for people in the US and soccer…it has become a big deal, and people are talking about it…which is good for soccer in the US, I think!
    In 2006, I was in Ireland for the World Cup and we would finish our mission work early–because no one was out to talk to us–they were all inside watching the matches…so we would go to the local pub and watch, too…best experiences of my life…the last game in an Irish Pub…epic, for sure.
    Glad to know you love soccer, too! I didn’t grow up playing, but I love how it brings everyone in the world together…it is awesome!!