That could have gone better.

on June 29, 2010 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 10 comments by

Welp.

The two teams that I was cheering for in the World Cup got booted this weekend.

First the USA with a disappointing loss to Ghana. Sure, we didn’t deserve to go farther that the Top 16. But it still stings. I’ll be honest with you. And though Ghana is my second favorite African nation, I will have to say they were stinkers in this game. I love the Ghanaian people, but I do not love their soccer team. Fair? I think so.

Then England. Oy vey. Have you seen what the papers in England are saying? Google it. You’ll cringe on behalf of the players. Bless their hearts. Not a pretty reaction from their homeland. But to go out on a 4-1 loss to Germany is probably deserving of a little scolding.

So now I’m left with no team.

I don’t want Germany to win, though they looked piles better than England on Sunday. I could get behind Spain or maybe Portugal. I’m a European at heart, so it is going to be hard for me to love Brazil though I fully understand that they are insanely talented and have yet to even give us their full force.

Also. I have a ganglion cyst on my right wrist and though I don’t know how it is possible, somehow I feel like it must be connected to the amount of soccer I have been watching. Maybe the cheering? The clapping? The fist-pumping? The high fives? I don’t know. I just know it hurts.

Oh the pain. Body and soul.

[What I lack in skill I make up for in drama. Yes?] [Also. The World Cup ends on July 11 and the amount of games slow down significantly now. So will my World Cup blogging. Forgive me if you hate soccer.]

If you don’t hate soccer:: Who are you cheering for at this point??

1. Jay LeCroy
    posted on Jun 29, 2010 at 5:06 AM  |  reply

Netherlands!!

2. posted on Jun 29, 2010 at 7:38 AM  |  reply

I am in Spain’s corner now. I completely fell in love with the people and culture last fall and their national team is a big part of that culture. Although, it’s hard to watch Argentina and not pull for them because of how well they control the ball.

As upset as I am about the loss, you can’t help but watch these other teams that have much better skill and understand that USA is still behind.

3. posted on Jun 29, 2010 at 9:16 AM  |  reply

Yeah I think the Brits are being especially hard on their team. And the score was *technically* 2-4.

On a not-at-all related note, do you know my little sister lives in Nashville? She and her husband hang out at the Frothy Monkey too. So I gave them strict instructions to keep an eye out for you and if they see you, they are to get you to autograph a napkin for me. And they’re supposed to give you a hug.

I didn’t want you to think they were stalkers or anything. They’re cool. 🙂

4. posted on Jun 29, 2010 at 9:35 AM  |  reply

All of my teams are out too – USA, England, Australia, Honduras. I kind of feel like I should get behind the Netherlands for some unknown reason, but can’t help root for such incredibly talented teams like Brazil and Argentina. I just say no to Germany though.

5. posted on Jun 29, 2010 at 9:53 AM  |  reply

Although we like soccer, college baseball has taken over our household. Go Gamecocks!

(Hope your cyst stops hurting.)

6. posted on Jun 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM  |  reply

I’m still cheering for Argentina :).

7. posted on Jun 29, 2010 at 3:14 PM  |  reply

I’m pulling for Ghana now. It would be so cool if an African team won.

8. Logan
    posted on Jun 29, 2010 at 4:57 PM  |  reply

if you want it to go away, get some ( you trust) to smack your cyst really hard with a heavy book. Seriously. Google it if you don’t believe me. that’s why back in the day people used to call them “big bible cysts”
    I swear I’m not kidding.

9. Hannah
    posted on Jun 30, 2010 at 11:56 AM  |  reply

I’m probably for Spain but you know how the colors of their uniforms really decide your opinion? I love Spain but I am really not a fan of their uniforms so it’ll be hard to stay true to them.

10. Rachel
    posted on Jul 01, 2010 at 3:31 PM  |  reply

Uruguay! It’s such a little, AWESOME country!