I drank a piece of cake.

on November 8, 2010 in That's delish. with 19 comments by

A few things before we get to the topic at hand [I literally DRANK a piece of cake!]:

– I read every.single.thing you recommended last week. Thank you so much.

– For your sweet comments regarding my soon-to-be-released book, thank you so much.

– For your co-love of Mumford & Sons, thank you very much.

I need to apologize for not responding more personally to your blog comments as of late. I hate it. And I am truly sorry. Part of being a good blogger is responding to comments, and I’ve been terrible about it. Forgive me and know that I read EVERY.SINGLE.COMMENT. And very soon my workload lightens and I shall return to being a professional emailer.

Now.

On to the fact that I drank a piece of cake on Saturday.

My friend Emily and I were at Portillo’s. Long story short, I was in Chicago for about 24 hours- drove up Friday, drove home Saturday. And as we were ready to drive back to Nashville, Emily needed [for the second meal of our four meal trip] a hot dog from Portillo’s.

She bragged about this milkshake- the “Chocolate Cake Shake”- and said it was the most delicious thing she’d ever had.

[And I was raised this way- if there is a food item that is unique to an area or restaurant, that is OBVIOUSLY the best thing to get because you may never get the chance to try that again.]

I never really read what the menu said it was, but I thought “Chocolate Shake.” Critical mistake.

Because it was not a chocolate shake. It was a chocolate CAKE shake.

Y’all. They LITERALLY blend a piece of chocolate cake, and the icing, with ice cream to make it a milkshake.

I drank a few sips and said, “Emily, what is IN THIS THING?” The confusion on her face was clear, and it was equally clear that I’m an idiot.

She said, “Annie. It is literally a piece of cake.”

You’ve been with me long enough to know that I am not one to starve my sweet tooth. I am not a cake hater and I am a milkshake enthusiast. But this was a little too much for me even. Which is really saying something.

And to be real honest with you, it was kinda gross. Chunks of cake coming through a straw? It’s just not natural, I tell you.

I kept saying, “Em, this thing isn’t so good” and then in totes typical Annie fashion, I would drink two more sips. I finally had to pour it out the window and it splattered to the ground in one big chunk. [May have needed a bit more blending.]

The only silver lining was that I knew it gave me a good story for the ole blog. So I googled to find a picture and found an entire post about this shake at the website called….

This Is Why You’re Fat.

Rude.

And point taken.

What’s the best thing you ate this weekend?

1. posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 4:21 AM  |  reply

I’m with you sister…that does NOT sound good at all. I think I’m a little bit on the autism spectrum when it comes to food textures. Chunks through a straw. Uh, no.

This weekend, the best thing I ate was a slice of re-heated Hungry Howie’s thin crust pizza with beef. I’ve been eating very healthy for a couple of weeks, and I decided that if I ate the pizza for breakfast Saturday morning, I’d have the whole day to burn it off. Not sure how rational my thinking was, but boy was that cheesy goodness a LeeBird pleaser!

Have a yummy week!

2. posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 4:38 AM  |  reply

SOO FUNNY!! Sounds very sweet and chunks coming through the straw… yeeewww!!

3. posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 7:20 AM  |  reply

Yuck. I don’t know what I’ll do when I’m old with no teeth. My mama would blend CHEESEBURGERS for my grandmother when she was in the nursing home and feed them to her with a spoon. And it almost makes me gag just to type that out. I’m with you, Annie.

4. posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 7:21 AM  |  reply

Oh, and the best thing I ate this weekend? Potato Soup.

5. cbed
    posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 9:23 AM  |  reply

Ha! Gross. I made mashed potatoes and poured cream of broccoli soup over. I’m not sorry. I may eat all my meals this winter over mashed potatoes.

6. posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 10:15 AM  |  reply

I don’t know…that actually sounds sorta yummy to me!

We have a Portillo’s here in SoCal…next time I’m there I may just have to try that.

Best thing I ate this weekend?
    My first crepe (nutella, bananas, and strawberries) from a restaurant my husband and I just discovered. SO good!

7. posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 10:50 AM  |  reply

Ah! Not the chocolate cake shake! That thing is nasty. You have to go for just the piece of chocolate cake at Portillos. THAT is heavenly! 🙂

8. amy s
    posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 3:29 PM  |  reply

portillo’s is my all time favorite place. ever. please tell me you at least ate a hot dog while you were there!

9. posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 3:35 PM  |  reply

Oh my word! That is hysterical!!! I cannot believe that. Um … I have to admit … I couldn’t have done it either 🙂 At least you can say that you drank a cake. I mean … who gets to say that?! Love it!! Have a great day.

10. posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 4:05 PM  |  reply

Have you ever had cake batter ice cream? It’s A LOT better than the milkshake 🙂 it’s cake flavored ice cream with swirls of frosting. I wonder if it’s only a northeast thing though?
    Anyways best thing I ate was a fresh baked half moon to celebrate a job offer!!!! It’s solo exciting but a little scary. I’ll be moving across the country & I’ve only ever lived one place.

11. Carrie
    posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 8:30 PM  |  reply

CHOCOLATE CAKE SHAKE! Yum! It is a crazy sensation of textures coming into your mouth all at once, but oh is it AHU-mazing! Portillos is one of my favorite place to take people when they come to visit me in Chicago! So, bravo, good choice! 🙂

12. posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 8:40 PM  |  reply

I’m not sure I would like that either. But maybe if you think of it like cake and ice cream? I don’t know.

But the best thing I ate this weekend? Sushi. On a first date. With a boy I like. A lot. 🙂

13. Amy
    posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 8:41 PM  |  reply

I can tell you what I didn’t eat and that is the Fried SKIN Sandwich that I just saw on This Is Why You Are Fat. Gag. I am afraid to go to sleep tonight because that is the stuff of nightmares.

The shake sounds delicious to me, as long as the frosting was buttercream 🙂

14. Merideth
    posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 9:23 PM  |  reply

That does sound grose. I wouldn’t like that. I think there are just some things that should not be turned into shakes, and that sounds like one of them. You just reminded me, though, that I want to pay a visit to chick-fil-a to get their pepermint shake that is out. Now that is a yummy shake!Best thing I ate this weekend…Not sure. Didn’t have anything all that exciting this weekend. But, tonight I had tortalini soup for dinner, and that was yummy.

15. posted on Nov 08, 2010 at 10:30 PM  |  reply

As soon as I read Portillo’s, I knew EXACTLY what you were going to say! Except, I love their chocolate cake shakes. Maybe you would have been better off eating just a piece of the actual cake, which is sinfully delicious. Now I really, really miss Portillo’s! What are the odds that they will open a Nashville location?

16. posted on Nov 09, 2010 at 1:01 AM  |  reply

The best thing I ate this weekend was the salsa from a new-to-me (locally-owned) Mexican restaurant called the Iguana Mexican Grill. You should definitely try it if you are ever in Oklahoma City. Yummo!!

17. posted on Nov 09, 2010 at 4:40 PM  |  reply

I love love love Portillo’s! Their hot dogs and fries are the best. Hmmm . . . now you have me craving their chopped salad. Delicious!

The best thing I had to eat this weekend was a slice of pumpkin pie. The last time I had the chance to eat pumpkin pie, I burned it, so this opportunity was extra special and extra delicious.

18. Laurie
    posted on Nov 09, 2010 at 9:04 PM  |  reply

I’m with ya on the cake shake – that’s not my kinda sweet thing.

Best thing I had this weekend – we ate at Firewater Chophouse and I had fried shrimp and grits for the first time! It was wonderful!

19. posted on Nov 10, 2010 at 1:19 PM  |  reply

that is absolutely disgusting. here is a list of things that are acceptable to come up through a straw:

-cookie dough chunks
    -brownie chunks
    -sprinkles
    -chocolate chips
    -peanut butter chunks
    -ice
    -those things that are in the java chip frappucinos at starbucks
    -select fruits