The Sing-Off LIVE y’all.

on January 4, 2011 in Sounds good to me. with 18 comments by

Did you watch The Sing-Off these last few weeks on television? It’s a great show. Acapella groups competing against each other. Beautiful stuff.

Some local Nashville dudes called Street Corner Symphony came in second. [But they are winners in our hearts.]

And Tuesday night, they performed here in Nashville.

Now, it’s not every day that acapella groups sell out venues. But SCS did it. Twice.

I watched the show enough that I probably would have gone to the concert either way. But then, when I checked the website, it was not only Street Corner Symphony, it was also the YALE WHIFFENPOOFS.

Listen. Do I have any Gilmore Girls fans out there? Because if you recall, Mr. Gilmore was a Whiffenpoof. Sure, I knew he wouldn’t be there tonight [not because he is fictional, more because of his age], but it was very exciting anyways.

My mother is a totes maj The Sing-Off fan and her favorite group happened to win- Committed. And then, they appeared on stage.

And I sent a picture and a text to my mother saying, “I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU ARE MISSING THIS!” and that is truly the first time I’ve ever been at a concert in a bar and known beyond a shadow of a doubt that my mother would rather be there than anywhere else in the world.

The show was insanely good. A surprising number of our friends were there [secret lovers of acapella jams] including the birthday girl, Hercules!  And the early show had a… how do I say it… “older crowd” feel, so it wasn’t quite so packed or obnoxious. [Read: lots of parents at the 8pm show.]

Sweet Marisa put two videos on twitter [sigh… iPhone4, you are so good.] but I can’t get them to upload. So. Check out these links–

Street Corner Symphony + ALISON KRAUSS [I died a little in the good way] + Committed = http://yfrog.com/4cgshz

Street Corner Symphony + Committed + Whiffenpoofs + “Fix You” by Coldplay = http://yfrog.com/3wk0uz

Please tell me you watched those. I mean, sheesh. They are so.so.so. good.

Also. I totally have a crush on the guy with the hat and I am not afraid to blog about that.

When he sang, “Ain’t No Sunshine When She’s Gone,” it was so amazing that I blacked out for a minute and then I came around and screamed out, “I’M RIGHT HERE! MOURN NO MORE!”

No I didn’t.

But I should have.

1. posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 12:56 AM  |  reply

mustard shirt for the win! a capella! so fun! 🙂

2. posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 4:21 AM  |  reply

WHIFFENPOOFS!! I think i’d love them, even if Richard hadn’t been one, just for the name.

3. posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 5:30 AM  |  reply

Oh I LOVE Gilmore Girls! (I got stuck at that bit and had to comment, I will now read the rest of your blog)

4. Mama Downs
    posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 6:20 AM  |  reply

Oh my goodness! I so wish I had been there to hear all of it but especially my favs, Committed. The videos sounded great!

5. Rebekah
    posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 7:19 AM  |  reply

OH MY GOSH. YES.

I have watched a YouTube video of “Fix You” from the finale at least 100 times. I am not kidding. At least. LOVE them!!! Wanted them to win so badly!

And when they first announced the Whiffenpoofs on the show I was like, wait, I know they’re real {because of Gilmore Girls} but really they’re for real?!? Thought it was funny. But that’s a sad episode. Well I think it’s sad because Emily gets upset over the lettuce. That’s the right episode isn’t it? At the football game?

Stopping now. But seriously. So jealous! Glad you had a good time. 🙂

6. posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 7:19 AM  |  reply

I KNEW I’d heard of the Whiffenpoofs before. Gilmore Girls! Yes.

7. Merideth
    posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 7:51 AM  |  reply

Yes, I do watch Gilmore Girls,and that was the first thing I thought of when I saw you mention the whiffenpoofs. Too funny. I didnt’ know they were actually a real group. The episode I think it’s from(I can’t believe I know this) is when Emily got mad about the maid putting nuts in the salad and she had her re-make them over and over again, and Richard wanted to bring Rory to see Yale.

8. posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 8:19 AM  |  reply

jealous!

my husband and i loved sing off. we would watch episodes over and over again. street corner was my favorite.

so fun!

9. posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 8:21 AM  |  reply

Oh, you’re kidding! SCS was my favorite on The Sing-Off. Gilmore Girls – woohoo! (And, yes, you should have.)
    Thanks for sharing. I’m off to watch the vids.

10. posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 9:08 AM  |  reply

I LOVE that video with Alison Krauss! Thanks so much for sharing that! The main guy in SCS, Jeremy, is from my town, and I went to college and was friends with his brother, Richie, one of the guys wearing a hat. He is the one who wore the hat on the show with the glasses. Amazingly talented. We are so proud of them! Thank you so much for the concert videos! Yay!

11. posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 1:03 PM  |  reply

Oh so awesome! Thank you for sharing. I have always liked Straight No Chaser and your post made me realize I need to make that a station on Pandora.com.

12. posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 5:39 PM  |  reply

I forgot about the Gilmore Girls connection! Great videos. I would have died when Alison Krauss came out on the stage. I heart her.

13. posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 9:01 PM  |  reply

Great post. I mean, Gilmore Girls + Sing Off + Nashville Concert, you really couldn’t go wrong. That last little bit, though, about “Ain’t No Sunshine” literally made me laugh out loud. Literally. (and I don’t mean that in the figurative sense)

14. jenica
    posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 9:36 PM  |  reply

jealous!!!

15. posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 9:43 PM  |  reply

I am so jealous…I know it is like a biblical sin, but really…jealous!! I looooove The Sing-Off and loved Street Corner Symphony AND Committed….they are both incredible!!! One day, I wish to live in Nashville so I can enjoy so many musical festivities!! Thanks for posting the awesome videos!!

16. posted on Jan 05, 2011 at 11:44 PM  |  reply

I love you for posting these videos. For realz. Street Corner Symphony was my favorite group from the show.

And Gilmore Girls is my favorite show of all time. Sigh.

17. Laura
    posted on Jan 06, 2011 at 10:22 AM  |  reply

So JEALOUS! My Tuesday evenings – okay, all of my evenings – are not like that…

18. Rebecca
    posted on Jan 06, 2011 at 12:54 PM  |  reply

HAHA, you should have yelled that. Oh girl, you are in good company. I.LOVE.Them. When I found out they were coming to St. Louis at the end of this month, I had a mini heart attack…in a good way.