Sounds of home.

on February 1, 2011 in Scotland, Sounds good to me. with 12 comments by

This is a happy Tuesday in Nashville.

Very happy indeed.

And me thinks you will enjoy all three reasons.

#1. THE CIVIL WARS

This is the best $7.99 you are going to spend today. Get Barton Hollow by The Civil Wars. Please. It’s like turning on your grandma’s radio in the kitchen. It makes you feel like wearing an A-line dress and writing on a typewriter.

It makes you want to hear it again and again.

Here they are singing the title track, Barton Hollow, on Jay Leno. [Yes, Nashville collectively pooped their pants in excitement the night this happened.]

#2. SETH JONES

I love this guy. And the music he writes is insane. That’s the only way to describe it. I remember being in a living room with some musician friends one night and when it was Seth’s turn to play, he sang one of the most heart-wrenching songs I have ever heard. I think the line was something about how being on a plane would be the only time he would be “over” the girl who just broke his heart.

[I just butchered that. But Seth didn’t.]

You should spend $4.99 on Seth Jones EP today. You won’t be mad about it. Great cooking music. [Do you listen to music when you cook? I do.]

#3. DREW HOLCOMB & THE NEIGHBORS VIDEO

Drew and Ellie’s new album comes out next week [don’t worry- I’m remind you], but today they released the video for their song “Fire and Dynamite” and I. Love. It. [And a bunch of our friends are in this video, but my friend Andy wins for looking supes cute at 2:22. He used to be a model. He can’t help it.]

My favorite lyric: “You are a novel in a sea of magazines.”

Sheesh.

Sigh… I love Nashville. I love that Nashville talent stretches over the ocean and joins me in the UK.

Hope y’all enjoy these artists. I mean, I’ve never led you astray before, have I? [uh… have I?]

1. posted on Feb 01, 2011 at 7:52 PM  |  reply

Nashville LOVES you 🙂
    ps my fav lyric is that one, too (duh). oh to be a novel…

2. posted on Feb 01, 2011 at 8:13 PM  |  reply

You almost lost me at the haggis (ick), but have totally redeemed yourself by introducing us to Drew and Ellie!!!!

3. posted on Feb 01, 2011 at 8:40 PM  |  reply

I’m going to The Civil Wars show at the Belcourt tomorrow night. I’m so excited to see them again and pick up the CD. The last time I saw them, you were standing next to me:)

4. Son
    posted on Feb 01, 2011 at 8:41 PM  |  reply

Well, I now have a new dream. Write songs and learn how to sing with my husband. Phil and Sonnie Shay…comin’ attcha in 2058 (cause it’ll take me that long to learn how to sing 🙂

5. posted on Feb 01, 2011 at 9:28 PM  |  reply

It doesn’t hurt that the CW guy looks like JDepp. Man. they. can. sing.

6. Rebekah
    posted on Feb 02, 2011 at 12:28 AM  |  reply

I love the entire chorus to Fire and Dynamite. I love when you direct me to new and awesome bands/songs and feel ultra cool when I’ve been listening to them for weka or months and I hear they’re like superstars. I feel like I got in on the ground floor or something. 🙂

And the guy from CWs DOES look like Johnny Depp. WEIRD!!

7. LD
    posted on Feb 02, 2011 at 1:12 AM  |  reply

That night of listening to Seth, Drew, & those other talented boys is still one of my fave moments in Nash to date. And that “plane” song Seth sang always stood out to me too. Insanely talented – so glad the EP is finally here! Miss you!!

8. posted on Feb 02, 2011 at 12:17 PM  |  reply

I love DH&N – oh. my. stars. Cannot wait until they come to the West Coast.

Can’t wait to listen to The Civil Wars when I get out of the cubicle farm!

9. posted on Feb 02, 2011 at 4:51 PM  |  reply

I LOVE The Civil Wars the moment I heard them! And wonder of wonders all my friends are simultaneously falling in love as well.

Your Seth Jones link is broken. Please fix it, because I want to hear, and googling has produced no fruit.

Thank you. 🙂

10. Melissa
    posted on Feb 03, 2011 at 1:34 PM  |  reply

After listening to The Civil Wars you posted I totally ran to my phone and bought the new music. THanks for Sharing!!!

11. Jen
    posted on Feb 08, 2011 at 12:18 AM  |  reply

this will sound so weird, I’m sure… but I’m part of a small christian radio sation where I live in Australia. We’re always looking for new music… I did a quick check, but couldn’t find out if they are christian bands/artists or not (I do so hope!) Do you know if they are or not? Needless to say, yes or no, they are both FABULOUS!

12. posted on Feb 19, 2011 at 6:58 PM  |  reply

mmmmm. fellow tennesseean. thanks for the tip about civil wars. downloaded lickety split and now listening to ear candy. omystars… my absolute new fave. seriously. i owe you big time!