Good intentions don’t make for good blog posts.

on March 21, 2011 in Ze Bloggy Goodness with 11 comments by

Because I spent 2.5 hours in the kitchen yesterday baking and icing cakes.

And my intention was to make it into a few blog posts for your viewing, reading, and baking pleasure.

And I photographed every step because I used my Big Top Cupcake Bake Set and took lots of pictures and created funny captions in my mind as I went and I laughed out loud more than once.

[Because I tend to think I’m far more hilarious than anyone else thinks I am.]

Then.

My camera, sitting quietly on the window sill above the sink, decided to do a double back tuck with a full twist dive into a bowl full of water.

The camera got a great score from the Russian judge, but the splash was too much for the Korean judge.

[Personification is all the rage this season.]

As for me, it was full on panic.

Then, in my typical out-of-sight-out-of-mind fashion, I threw them on the back porch in the sunshine and got back to icing the cupcakes.

Now he sits, that Greg Louganis of a camera, in a cup full of brown rice. I’m hoping brown rice does the trick from diving cameras like white rice does for cell phones that take a dip in Diet Coke.

So hopefully later this week I can show you pictures from my dry and working camera- pictures of the huge blue Kansas University cupcake and all the hilarity that went into making it.

Or I’ve just wasted a perfectly good box of Uncle Ben’s whole grain brown rice.

And that would be a real shame.

1. posted on Mar 21, 2011 at 5:05 AM  |  reply

my little boy dropped my iphone in the bath tub this weekend. his sister was in the tub and i didn’t realize he had it in his hand. the rice seemed to work at first but now the phone won’t turn on at all.
    i hope you have better luck than me. i’ve heard the rice is a sure thing:))))

2. posted on Mar 21, 2011 at 5:50 AM  |  reply

That was hilarious. Sad, but hilarious. I hope the rice works. My son ruined an iPod by doing double back flips with a twist into a ditch full of water with the device in his pocket. (He and his friend were skiing in the ditch water using a pick up truck and a piece of wood. Seriously.)
    I gave him mine (unbelievable) and he ruined that one by diving into a pool with it in his pocket. We’ve been without iPods for quite a few years now.

3. posted on Mar 21, 2011 at 8:28 AM  |  reply

ha ha ha ha! First – I do the same thing! I take pictures, creating the captions and the greatest wording for my blog and laugh out loud!! Second – The rice worked for our cell phone that my husband dropped into a lake while fishing. However, the battery never lasted more than a day… Never did it with a camera though!

I hope the sun and rice can bring Her back to life. 🙂

4. posted on Mar 21, 2011 at 9:35 AM  |  reply

ohhhhh. a moment of silence for the healing of your camera.

i had to laugh… not only at your witty description of your camera’s diving antics… but at the fact that you were laughing at your future blog post in your head. i do that all the time. and then i can’t remember what i wrote so brilliantly in my head and never post. sigh.

sure hope your camera recovers.

5. posted on Mar 21, 2011 at 11:54 AM  |  reply

I hope it works. A friend of mine had to do the same thing with her phone, though she added a little silicon packet to the rice. It worked, but now her phone has an extremely loud vibrating noise because some of the rice got stuck in the phone. Hilarious.

6. posted on Mar 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM  |  reply

Just in case the camera doesn’t fully dry out, you can take the memory card to a camera store and they may be able to get the photos off.
    I hope it does dry out for you though!

7. posted on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM  |  reply

Sunday was not a good day for technology. I did the same thing with my phone yesterday. Left it in rice all night. Went by the Verizon store, and in completely unexpected fashion, the employee instructed me to take it home and “Soak it some more! And the sun- Put it in the Sun! It’s a GOOD SUN DAY! Let it dry- You can save this one, I’m sure. It will save you alot of money. If not come back tomorrow and we see what we can do. But you go and put it in the sun.”
    It’s in my dash, and tonight it will settle into a new bed of rice.
    🙂
    And if that doesn’t work, we see what we can do.

Oh, Technology 🙂

8. ~VA~
    posted on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM  |  reply

as long as the memory card stayed mostly dry you should be able to hook it up to your computer and get the images off even if your camera doesn’t work

9. jennifer
    posted on Mar 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM  |  reply

Rice has redeemed one Ipod. Did not work for a phone…but said phone was my son’s (you know…crazy man that he is and it took a full on swim in the lake…need I say more). Hope it works for you. Love and hugs!

10. Jill G
    posted on Mar 23, 2011 at 9:18 AM  |  reply

“I dropped a cupcake mid-icing swirl and scooped out my camera. I shook it [like a Polaroid picture] and ejected my memory card and battery. Then I shook it some more. Then I blew into it like we used to do to Nintendo cartridges.”

This was my favorite part. You referenced Outkast and Nintendo in one paragraph. Brilliatly hilarious. You always make me smile. =)

11. posted on Mar 23, 2011 at 10:17 AM  |  reply

Did you know that your book is one of the ones featured for (in)courage’s giveaway this week?

If not now you do :o)