TOP 5 FRIDAY: most loved songs!

on April 15, 2011 in Sounds good to me., TOP 5 FRIDAY with 56 comments by

Ok, so I think this is gonna be supes fun.

Let’s make a TOP 5 list every FRIDAY!

TOP 5 FRIDAY!

Starting today! Yay!

[I’m feeling very exclamatory today. Probably has something to do with a lack of sleep. Thanks a mil, boot camp. Now you’re causing me to inappropriately use punctuation.]

So, here’s the first list- our most loved songs. Here’s how you figure out your most loved songs on iTunes. Open your music library, click on “plays” and it will list them by the most plays.

I was telling some friends on Tuesday night about doing this and I said, “the lame thing is that my first eight songs or so are from two bands, so I’m just gonna skip to the top 5 songs from different artists.”

Then Luke looked me dead in the eyes and said, “if you do that, I’m going to tell all your blog readers that you are a LIAR.” And I kinda think he would do it.

So I’m going to make two lists.

Here are my LITERAL top 5 most loved songs, even though it is a boring list because it is just Mumford and Brooke Fraser.

I don’t want you to judge me [reading this list or any in the future].

But I’m going to list the top 5 most loved songs from different artists.

1. After the Storm // Mumford & Sons (real #1)

• This is true. I absolutely love this song. It makes me think of Heaven and it makes my heart feel light.

2. Shadowfeet // Brooke Fraser (real #2)

• This actually isn’t my favorite Brooke Fraser song, so I think it is crazytown that this is #2, but it is the first song on the Albertine album. So. That’s that.
[now I will skip to the next top song from a different artist….]

3. You & I // Ingrid Michaelson (real #9)

• This whole song is about falling in love and getting rich – two things I planned to do by 25 and now I’m just hoping to do before I expire.

4. Need You Now // Lady Antebellum (real #12)

• I wish I could say this was in support of my friends. In all honesty, it is because I like to sing Dave’s harmony. Sue me.

5. Static Waves // Andrew Belle (real #13)

• Laugh if you will. But I actually cannot really figure out what this song is about. But it sounds nice and Katie Herzig’s voice is cute as a button. So I listen to it a lot… approximately 43 times.

So there you have it!

Now. Your turn! In the comments, tell me your TOP 5 MOST LOVED SONGS!

[And there will be no judgement here. In fact, I may use up my iTunes gift card shopping for new songs all weekend because your favorites will become my favorite.]

Next Friday… TOP 5 FRIDAY: FAVORITE BOOKS! [So you can start your wheels a turnin’!]

1. Josh
    posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 4:50 AM  |  reply

Favorite blog of yours to date. I am thinking about making one after reading that. Might as well

2. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 8:01 AM  |  reply

there was a point in time, probably for the first 4 or 5 months i had this computer, that the top 18 or so songs were all the legally blonde the musical soundtrack. but now that i’ve spent more time with my itunes…

#1. enchanted – taylor swift.
    #2. beautiful things – gungor.
    #3. safe – phil wickham.
    #4. grenade – bruno mars.
    #5. until you – dave barnes.

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:48 AM  |  reply

@stephanie, Phil Wickham is a favorite.

3. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM  |  reply

i don’t think my list is that accurate, but, let’s just go with it.

#1. dry bones – gungor
    #2. all to us (live from passion 2011) – chris tomlin
    #3. forever reign – kristian stanfill
    #4. we will run – gungor
    #5. call me out – gungor

if i wasn’t repeating artists…
    #4. take heart – hillsong united
    #5. carry your name – christy nockels

and my take heart is your shadowfeet. it’s the first song. so…yeah.

this is gonna be fun annie! πŸ™‚

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:48 AM  |  reply

@Rebekah, You’re rocking that Gungor album. πŸ™‚ Love it.

4. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 10:52 AM  |  reply

You caught me on a Wicked jag. Seriously have listened to the soundtrack for the past three weeks, over and over and over.
    So sue me! Ha.

Defying Gravity
    Popular
    What is This Feeling?
    As Long as You’re Mine
    He’s Alive (Don Francisco because it’s that time of year, a tradition for more years than I can remember.) This list will change in the next couple of weeks to our Easter playlist. Fun.

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM  |  reply

@Southern Gal, I’ve never seen Wicked. I know. It’s a terrible disservice to myself.

5. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM  |  reply

Love this Annie! I am going to share my top 5 songs, but they’re not according to iTunes because I’m writing this from my work computer. (shhh.) So these are from my heart:

1. Everything You Want by Vertical Horizon (sentimental value, ok?)
    2. New Slang by The Shins
    3. Marching Bands of Manhattan by Death Cab for Cutie
    4. New York City Serenad by Bruce Springsteen
    5. For What it’s Worth by the Cardigans

Yay!!

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM  |  reply

@Maria, Bruce Springsteen? Well played. πŸ™‚

6. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 1:12 PM  |  reply

1. Walk Down this Mountain – Bebo Norman (this one doesn’t and will not let me go… ever – apparently)
    2. How He Loves – David Crowder Band
    3. Great DJ- The Ting Tings
    4. Maybe – Ingrid Michaelson
    5. Brand New Day – Joshua Radin

Also apparently… I must purchase Gungor?

7. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM  |  reply

This was fun! Mine are…

1- Young and Beautiful-Carrie Underwood

2- Summertime-Kenny Chesney

3- Thunder Road-Bruce Springsteen

4- Buy You a Drank- T Pain (I knowww…embarrassing but catchy!!)

5- It’s All Coming Back- Celine Dion

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM  |  reply

@Laura, T Pain and Celine Dion? An unlikely (but very enjoyable) pairing.

8. Eleanor
    posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM  |  reply

Hey Annie! I love reading your blog and making lists, so this works well for me. I’ll do exactly what you did:
    My literal top 5 songs:
    1. Geek in the Pink–Jason Mraz (I had a huge Mraz phrase. He’s still one of my favorites and this song just puts a smile on my face everytime I listen to it).
    2. You and I–Ingrid Michaelson (Who doesn’t love this song?!)
    3. Hello, Bonjour–Michael Franti (This song is so fantastic. If Franti doesn’t make you want to get up and dance, there is something wrong with you. This song is just so darn catchy.)
    4. Ladies’ Choice–Zac Efron (from the movie “Hairspray.” I honestly have no idea why this is even in my top 100, not to mention my top 5. I guess I listened to it a lot when the album first came out, but not really anymore. Strange. I think iTunes is lying to me.)
    5. The Outsiders–Needtobreathe (one of my absolute favorite bands)

Top top 5 from different artists are the same as above, surprisingly.

I’m actually really surprised by this list because I don’t listen to these songs a lot anymore. Some of the other artists in my top played are people that I listen to more now (Dave Barnes, Ben Rector, Newton Faulkner, John Butler Trio, etc).
    Can’t wait for you top list next friday! I’m already thinking of my favorite books πŸ™‚

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM  |  reply

@Eleanor, Your Zac Efron honesty is to be commended. πŸ™‚

9. Wes
    posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM  |  reply

I was privy to the Annie/Luke conversation, so this is my top 5 with no repeated bands. It’s easily Mumford and Jimmy Eat World over the rest, but that’s work computer iTunes alone.

1. Kanye West – Power (Remix feat. Jay-Z and Swiss Beatz)
    2. Mumford & Sons – Winter Winds
    3. Jimmy Eat World – Coffee & Cigarettes
    4. Kings of Leon – The Immortals
    5. Ray Lamontagne – I Still Care For You

Seriously. No diversity whatsoever.

10. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM  |  reply

1. Amazing Because It Is – The Almost
    2. Today was a Fairytale – Taylor Swift
    3. Let that be Enough – Switchfoot
    4. Haley – Needtobreathe
    5. Stuck like glue – Sugarland

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM  |  reply

@Haley, I love singing Stuck Like Glue… and the video is hilarious.

11. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM  |  reply

According to my school iTunes (so, what I play in my classroom)…

1. A Long Way From Tomorrow- James David Carter
    2.On a Night Like This- Dave Barnes
    3. Dirty Work- Steely Dan
    4. Melissa- The Allman Brothers Band
    5. Lay Your Weapons Down- Eddie Kirkland

12. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 2:28 PM  |  reply

ok, my itunes is SO off on what I listen to most…not sure why or how to fix so here’s my list.
    1. Laura Story -Blessings (I’ve even used this one in several blog posts!)
    2.Addison Road -Need You Now & Hope Now I’m torn with these two -love AR!
    3.Adele -Rolling in the Deep
    4. Lady Antebellum -American Honey
    5. Wicked- Defying Gravity
    & a New FAV Sara Evans- Little Bit Stronger totally great getting over someone song.

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM  |  reply

@Leanna, I can’t quit that new Adele record. Adore it.

13. Beth
    posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 2:48 PM  |  reply

I’m not sure, but your comment on Song 3 on list 2 made me laugh out loud. Only because I can relate πŸ™‚

14. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 4:06 PM  |  reply

WHAT A FANTASTIC IDEA!!!

And I am in love with Mumford & Sons!! But my top 5 reflect the times I have played music for the kids, so there you go. I am totally going to link to this idea. I absolutely love it. You’re so smart. πŸ˜‰

Your Love Is Strong Robbie Seay Band
    Viva la Vida Coldplay
    Three Little Birds Elizabeth Mitchell
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang The Hit Crew
    Beautiful Day U2

15. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 5:36 PM  |  reply

Oh fun πŸ™‚

1. May Waltz – Brooke Fraser
    2. New York City’s Killin Me – Ray Lamontagne
    3. Everlasting God – New Life Worship
    4. You Will Find Me – Andrew Ripp
    5. Without You – Keith Urban

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:52 AM  |  reply

@Brandi, Andrew Ripp is one of the finest songwriters in Nashville.

16. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 6:15 PM  |  reply

My latest top five:
    1. St. Joseph’s by Avett Brothers (I love this in so many ways)
    2. Hannah by Freelance Whales (This song is the cheese to my macaroni.)
    3. Rio by Hey Marseilles (I am continually clapping my hands like an idiot in the car when I hear this.)
    4. After the Storm by Mumford and Sons (I want to put flowers in my hair every.time I hear this.)
    5. E.T. by Katy Perry (Everybody’s gotta have a pop-guilty-pleasure kinda thing going. She just recently knocked Nelly out of the top 5.)

And if you were going by what I played in the classroom, there would be a heavy One Republic and T. Swift presence. And singing. Lots of singing.

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:48 AM  |  reply

@Jennifer, E.T. is my new guilty pleasure.

17. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM  |  reply

I like this! I was actually kind of surprised about mine:

1. Use Somebody – Kings of Leon
    2. Cripple Me – Elenowen
    3. Misguided Ghosts – Paramore
    4. Before the Worst – The Script
    5. Devotion – Hillsong

18. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 6:27 PM  |  reply

i really liked reading everyone’s.

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:47 AM  |  reply

@stephanie, me too. πŸ™‚

19. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 7:51 PM  |  reply

Ok, here we go.

1. God Gave Me You – Dave Barnes (naturally…also 528 plays. That’s almost two years’ worth.)
    2. Unfailing Love – Jimmy Needham (will be incorporated in my wedding somehow, but I have to find a boy first)
    3. Motownphilly – Boyz II Men (This actually is in my Top Ten Favorite Songs list)
    4. I’m On A Boat – The Lonely Island feat. T-Pain (Sorry I’m not sorry)
    5. Change – Carrie Underwood (so powerful)

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:47 AM  |  reply

@Katie, The fact that Dave, Carrie, and Boyz II Men are on the same list is genius. Love it.

20. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM  |  reply

this is so fun…..

here are mine:
    worthy of affection- shane and shane
    beautiful things- gungor
    your hands jj heller
    sigh no more- mumford and sons
    tie: laundry room- avett brothers
    saw what i saw- sara groves

what a great idea! have a super weekend!

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:46 AM  |  reply

@brooke Simpson, Sara Groves is one of my all-time favorite song writers.

21. posted on Apr 15, 2011 at 11:04 PM  |  reply

Yay for Top 5 Fridays! Love it!

Here are mine:
    #1-I call you by Rita Springer
    #2-Jamie’s Song by Kristene Mueller
    #3-Surrender by Kim Walker
    #4-Make you happy by Rita Springer
    #5-Beautiful by Isa Agape

Love you my friend! Saw your mom today at Dang nails! Made me miss you more. Hope to hang out with you some this Summer!

22. posted on Apr 18, 2011 at 11:46 AM  |  reply

Fun idea! I think I will do top 5 from different artists as well, since the top of my list is encompassed in large part by the Avett Brothers.

1. Shame – The Avett Brothers (I’m sort of upset about this because it’s not my fav Avett song)
    2. Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked – Cage the Elephant (again, what?!)
    3. Time to Pretend – MGMT
    4. Reasons Why – Nickel Creek
    5. Sigh No More – Mumford

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:46 AM  |  reply

@Brooke, I’m just learning to love the Avett Bros. But I’m trying. πŸ™‚

23. Laura
    posted on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:07 PM  |  reply

1) Our Song- Taylor Swift
    2) Temporary Home- Carrie Underwood
    3) I’m Singing- Kari Jobe
    4) Jesus, Take the Wheel- Carrie Underwood
    5) Electric Youth- Debbie Gibson

They are, like, my favorite songs ever! haha πŸ™‚

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:46 AM  |  reply

@Laura, You win for being the first to mention Debbie Gibson. I love her!

• Laura
        posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 11:17 AM  |  reply

@Annie, I love Debie Gibson, too (even though I’m only 14). I have her tapes Out of the Blue and Electric Youth and now a video of her world tour. I could listen to her all day! πŸ˜€

24. posted on Apr 21, 2011 at 9:46 AM  |  reply

1) Our Song- Taylor Swift
    2) Temporary Home- Carrie Underwood
    3) I’m Singing- Kari Jobe
    4) Jesus, Take the Wheel- Carrie Underwood
    5) Electric Youth- Debbie Gibson

OMG I have the same list as Laura!!!! CHRISTMAS MIRACLE.

• Laura
      posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 11:17 AM  |  reply

@Matt Lehman, That’s really weirdddd…

• Laura
        posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM  |  reply

@Laura, Why does your name link to Oprah’s page?

• posted on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:00 PM  |  reply

@Laura, BECAUSE OPRAH IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Tricia
    posted on Apr 21, 2011 at 9:53 PM  |  reply

I don’t have a top 5 for you. But I do have Gabriel’s top song. When Lady A’s cd came out I bought it immediately and then proceeded to play it to pieces! My kids know the words to all the songs. Or at least think they do. Anyway Gabriel’s favorite song of all time is Hello World. He loved it from the first note and never tires of hearing it. We got him an mp3 player when he turned 7 this month and I made sure to load it with all kinds of stuff. He also loves the Black Eyed Peas. πŸ™‚

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:45 AM  |  reply

@Tricia, OMG, that is super cute. Hello World still makes me cry.

26. Tricia
    posted on Apr 21, 2011 at 9:55 PM  |  reply

Oh and Cassidy is a total Taylor Swift fan. I asked her which song was her favorite and she answered ‘Taylor Swift!’ Sort of like ‘duh mom. ALL of them!’

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:45 AM  |  reply

@Tricia, ha! πŸ™‚

27. Brandy
    posted on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM  |  reply

So I am a little late on this post but oh well here goes my top 5 from iTunes!
    1. Something Beautiful-Needtobreathe
    2. All That I Know- Zach Berkman (I have no idea how I found this song but I love love love it!!!)
    3. Tik Tok-Kesha (there’s that one pop song….)
    4. Stand For You-Johnny Diaz
    4. The Words I Would Say- Sidewalk Prophets
    5. God Gave Me You- Dave Barnes

I’d say my list came out pretty accurate! But for those of you who said you were not sure what your iTunes was thinking…I think you can reset the plays by right clicking and then select reset plays.

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:45 AM  |  reply

@Brandy, Dave Barnes will be happy to see this. πŸ™‚

28. posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 9:24 AM  |  reply

Here’s the question: am I the only person in the world whose iPod doesn’t link this information back to iTunes? Mine only shows plays from the jukebox and I hardly use it. :O(

posted on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:44 AM  |  reply

@Just Call Me Lynn, I don’t know… hmmm…. I do sit at my computer ALL DAY EVERY DAY so this is probably my computer plays (not my iPod plays). But you can just give us the top five that you love. πŸ™‚

29. Jessica
    posted on Apr 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM  |  reply

Top five fave songs right now (in no particular order)
    1. Dancing in the Minefields-Andrew Peterson
    2. Beautiful Things (thanks to the Gungor video you introduced me to) I want this for my birthing song someday
    3. Sinnerman -Nina Simone