Nashville Film Festival: Take Me Home

on April 21, 2011 in Nash-livin' with 16 comments by

I think you know by now that I absolutely LOVE living in Nashville. I deeply miss my friends and family in Marietta, but Nashville has gone above and beyond to make me fall in love here.

This week, the city wooed me again with the Nashville Film Festival.

In all honesty, I hadn’t really planned to go. But then we saw our friend Mike Hobert at a coffee shop and he said that produced a movie that was in the Festival. Then he asked us to come. We were all like, “uh… sure….” and when he left the coffee shop, the rest of us watched the trailer.

And then we all were like, “uh, YES. We absolutely want to see this.”

Take Me Home is a film about a woman who hires a taxi to take her from New York to California. I’m oversimplifying, but I’m kinda not.

Here are things I loved about it:

• Written, directed, starring [and all other official things] Sam Jaeger, who we all know and love from Parenthood.
  • His wife, Amber Jaeger, plays opposite him and she is genius in this film. She’s bossy but not unlovable.
  • Call me a prude if you will, but I love films that don’t make me feel uncomfortable when I’m sitting beside a dude. And this movie (besides a few cuss words) is totally clean and appropriate. That’s impressive to me.
  • It’s a simple plot line but a deeply complex story.
  • I want to see the sequel. [There is no sequel, but I want to see it.]

After the movie, Sam, Amber, Mike, and a few other producers got up to answer questions from the crowd.

I didn’t ask any questions, but Lyndsay and Mike had a pretty hilarious exchange that for me to retell would do a disservice, but trust me that I was laughing heartily.

We even got to walk on the red carpet and take a picture in front of one of those fancy walls that say words. [I’m the biggest redneck in the world for that sentence.]

I promise there were more boys there. Adam is just the only one who had to [got to?] be in the picture with us.

He was so frustrated from being around so many pretty girls that he wanted to hitchhike home.

And Jami tried to win this car.

Neither were successful.

Anyways.

The whole night was an unexpected joy.

I love my city for stuff like this. I love my friends. I love making new friends. I love that Sam asked me if he could hire me to travel to every screening and laugh very vocally at the appropriate places. Because in case you didn’t know, I have a LOUD LAUGH.  [I immediately said YES to Sam’s request and then he began to backpedal…. so…. that’s sad.]

Here’s the real sad part for you: I don’t know how you can see Take Me Home. Maybe contact them and beg for a screening in your town? Maybe call Mike and ask him? [At this point, I would LOVE to publicly post his cell phone number because that is an amazing prank. But I won’t. But I want to. But I won’t.]

Summary of the movie/experience/Nashville = Two thumbs up.

Seen any good movies lately? In a theater or on Netflix? Tell me bout it!

1. posted on Apr 21, 2011 at 7:46 PM  |  reply

Annie, this movie looks great! I would definitely go see it. Nashville sounds lovely too!! So many opportunities and the fellowship sounds amazing. Have a great day!

• posted on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM  |  reply

@Nicole, Thanks, Nicole. And yes- Nashville is amazing. 🙂

2. Tay
    posted on Apr 21, 2011 at 11:29 PM  |  reply

Nashville is defintely on my list of Places to Go Before I Go I Die, along with NYC, Savannah, Charleston and Paris!

And…walking on the red carpet in front of the fancy wall with words on it sounds like fun too!! 🙂

Oh, and I just wanted to let you know that I have found several blogs through you…such as Annie Parsons, Holley Gerth and Sarah Markley. Yay! Thanks!

• posted on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM  |  reply

@Tay, Those are three of my best friends in the world. I feel pretty lucky to have found them too. 🙂

3. posted on Apr 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM  |  reply

So was this thing going on in only one Nashville theater? Because if so, I was there today. And I totally walked right past all those snazzy people with their festival badges and into Jane Eyre. Which made me melt into a puddle of sighing. Aahhhh….. 🙂

• posted on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM  |  reply

@Bekah, Exact same theater, just downstairs.

Also, I really want to see Jane Eyre.

4. Tim
    posted on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:39 AM  |  reply

We also saw this excellent film and loved it for many of the same reasons. We were also blown away by the Bootstraps soundtrack and the way the film pulled us in without being glib or saccharine. A memorable first trip to Nashville for my son and me and we loved it.

• posted on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:03 AM  |  reply

@Tim, I absolutely agree. Amazing soundtrack. So sad that we can’t buy it yet.

Glad y’all enjoyed Nashville. Hope you ate at Baja Burrito- if not, next time for sure. 🙂

5. Kristi Kay
    posted on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM  |  reply

love, love, love Sam Jaeger…so want to see this movie…he and his wife are cute together 🙂

6. posted on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:21 PM  |  reply

Annie, the only reason I backpedaled was because I knew we could meet your quote for theater screen appearances. And that made me said.

Nevertheless, the offer still stands.

p.s., thanks for coming to our premiere and for being so ridiculously funny. That makes me happy.

• posted on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:21 PM  |  reply

@sam jaeger, I’ll have my lawyer call you. We’ll work out the deets.

(And by “my lawyer,” I mean Mike. He said he has a law degree… true? Maybe he was just trying to impress the ladiezzzz.)

Next time you and Amber are in town, I’ll be waiting for you at Mafi’s. Pizza and laughs. Hurry back. 🙂

7. posted on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:24 PM  |  reply

or rather, could NOT meet your quote.

Curse ye, jetlag!

8. posted on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:35 PM  |  reply

It’s a deal!

And no, Mike is not an “official” lawyer, per se, but he does use the phrase “pass the bar” a lot when trying to pick up ladiezzzz.

9. posted on Apr 25, 2011 at 8:58 AM  |  reply

Parenthood= BEST SHOW EVER. I cried my eyes out at the finale.

And how can I see this movie?! It looks awesome!

10. Nichole Ocepek
    posted on Apr 25, 2011 at 10:05 AM  |  reply

Perfect recap sweet friend!