TOP 5 FRIDAY: That’s fun.

on July 15, 2011 in TOP 5 FRIDAY with 31 comments by

TOP 5 FRIDAY is when we each list five of our favorite things, depending on the topic. Feel free to join in via the comments or by posting on your own blog and linking back here. Play along. It’s Friday.

. . . . .

This is going to surprise absolutely no one, but I love having fun. I seriously do. And I love when other people have fun. And I love when fun things happen and I’m around.

Pretty much, I’m a hound dog sniffing out fun on a daily basis.

To be cheesy and a bit serious- I think fun is important because it is in the fun that you get to know people and build trust and as much as I love having serious conversations that build friendships [and I do], I find fun to be… well, more fun than serious conversations.

[I’ve reached that point in typing the word “fun” where I am not sure I am spelling it correctly… do you know what I mean? Does that happen to you?]

Onto the list…..

TOP 5 THINGS THAT I THINK ARE FUN!

1. Zumba.

I’ve told you this before, but I think Zumba is the most fun exercise I have ever done. In fact, I’m scouring my corner of Edinburgh for a place to take classes. Also, I wrote an entire post about Zumba over at (in)courage. I would go to a Zumba class every day if I could. Maybe I can here- I just haven’t figured out where yet. πŸ™‚

2. Surprise Parties

I think surprise parties are so so fun. I actually prefer being on the giving end vs. the receiving end of surprise parties because I love the moment when the surprise-ee walks into the room. I think it is really fun to see everyone get together and get quiet and your insides get butterfly-ish and it’s a really good time. I also really enjoy surprise engagements, surprise homecomings, surprise celebrations of any kind.

I’m kinda like this woman. And. I love parties.

[I can’t see this video because it only plays in the US, but I know the skit pretty well and it is funny. 2 things: if you Americans can’t see the video, please let me know and if there is a cuss word or anything super inappropriate that I’m not remembering right now, please let me know. πŸ™‚ ]

3. Summer trips to Dairy Queen

Here’s the epitome of that fun experience: You spend the day on the lake, you’re still in your swimsuit, your skin is a little crispy, but not burned. Everyone loads up in the car and you pop over to Dairy Queen. Maybe everybody has on shoes, maybe they don’t. [I definitely don’t.] And you have just enough change for a dipped cone. So you get it and sit outside with your friends and laugh as the sun sets and you realize that these are the things that you’ll write about someday. That’s really fun.

4. Nerf guns

I love shooting people with nerf guns. It’s not that I’m violent. It’s just that the variety of nerf guns leads to a variety of shooting experiences. And people don’t REALLY get hurt, they just get bumped. I think when I grow up and have a husband and a house full of sons, we are going to use nerf gun wars to solve all household problems.

5. My friends being friends with my friends.

This is one of my very favorite fun things ever. I love when one group of friends meets another group of friends and they decide to become friends. It sends me over the moon. I get giggly when I see it happening. [This is actually one of the reasons I did YouBlog a few years ago… because I wanted you guys to all be friends!] There is something ridiculously fun to me when person from group A and person from group B see in each other what I already see in them. And then they are all, “Wow, I like you.” and they are buddies.

If my friends ever fall in love with my friends? Well. I die a little. In the good way.

. . . . .

There are a TON more things that I think are fun… but these are the first ones that come to mind. I mean, cooking is fun, going to the movies is fun, koosh balls are fun, watching The Bachelorette with a crew of girls is fun, floating down a river on tubes is fun, decorating the Christmas tree is fun.

Someone stop me.

We may be doing this list a few times. πŸ™‚

YOUR TURN!

What do you think is fun? Any noun will work- a person, a place, or a thing… or an experience… or whatever you want.Β

One of my besties, Amber, is REALLY fun… I can’t wait to see her answers to this. Also, I think you are really fun. So hop into the comments and tell us your favorite fun things!

1. Debs
    posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:10 AM  |  reply

I am so glad that I visited your blog this morning…it’s my birthday month…I wish you were here to plan a “surprise party ” for me…but I am having your momma over for a “tea party” that is fun for me! And the nerf guns…Jordan just entered a “Nerf War” with Vintage…apparently there are ” Mom rules”…now that is fun! I love pulling up to a drive-thru in my convertible ! You made me smile this morning…I like that!

• posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM  |  reply

Steve Hambrick is the coolest.

2. posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:55 AM  |  reply

That clip is hilarious! Nothing bad in it at all.

Here’s my list:

1. Family Game Nights – They aren’t a regular thing around here and with the age difference in my children it’s especially fun when we all get together for a card game or Monopoly or Scrabble.

2. Water gun fights – We did this last year for the first time per our youngest son’s request. We had a blast and have planned one for this year.

3. Parties planned by my daughter –
    Rebekah knows her stuff when it comes to parties. They are so well thought out. It’s fun to see it all come together for her.

4. Singing – Just to burst out in song. It can be totally random which makes it hilarious. Example: I was playing Mario Kart with Ethan (fun, except for my sore right thumb) and choosing the same character over and over again. He says, “Mama, give Peach a chance!” Of course, I had to give him my rendition of “Give Peace a Chance”. He clapped his hands over his ears, but I sure thought it was fun.

5. Getting caught in the rain –
    No lightning makes it better. πŸ˜‰

Now I want to go watch “Singing in the Rain” because that’s what I’m singing to myself right now…

• posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:15 AM  |  reply

Singing! Yes!

• Katie
      posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 3:59 PM  |  reply

@Southern Gal, I know what you mean about your #4. Whenever I am complaining about work to my husband or if something hurts my feelings, he always says “babe, it’s just your imagination” which makes me start singing “Just my imagination.” And almost always… I feel better and a little childish for letting something stupid hurt my feelings.

3. cbed
    posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:08 AM  |  reply

1. Lydia being a nut
    2. Dressing in costumes
    3. Sitting on the deck with Jeanne
    4. Lightning and fireworks
    5. Piles of friends on my sofa

• posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM  |  reply

You are one of the most fun people I know. True story.

4. posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:23 AM  |  reply

My list:
    1. Games. Board games, party games, (most) sports games.
    2. Traveling. I love a good road trip or an overseas trip or an anywhere trip.
    3. The beach. Playing in the waves, building sandcastles, reading, swimming in the pool, watching TV and napping in the afternoon (ever notice that the weirdest shows and movies come on at the beach? maybe that just happens to me.), riding bikes…
    4. Rollercoasters.
    5. Kids. Kids are hilarious.
    Honorable mentions: holidays; brainstorming sessions (with funny people); reading for pleasure.

• Annie
      posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM  |  reply

Kids = great call. Kids are so fun.

5. posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:38 AM  |  reply

OK…
    1. Playing Dutch Blitz with people that are really good but play by the rules.
    2. Reading Agatha Christie mystery books. I also enjoy watching them in movies.
    3. Watching good comedies with my husband. He laughs so hard and that makes me laugh.
    4. Getting together with old friends who I haven’t seen for a while.
    5. Singing, especially when there are people who can do harmonies.

• Annie
      posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:17 AM  |  reply

What is Dutch Blitz?

• posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM  |  reply

@Annie,
        It’s a card game – a card game that moves really fast.

• Michaela
          posted on Jul 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM  |  reply

@Alexandra, Dutch Blitz is SUCH a fun game. Love it! πŸ™‚

• posted on Jul 17, 2011 at 3:37 PM  |  reply

@Alexandra, I love Agatha Christie. She is a super fun lady!

6. posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM  |  reply

1. Farmer’s Markets…I love the crafts, the flowers, the produce…it all seems alive with some kind of country magic.
    2. Games with family or friends
    3. Trying out a new recipe
    4. Personality tests…what can I say, I love them!
    5. Riding bikes…I hardly do this though, which is why I probably think of it as fun.

7. Andrea
    posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:28 AM  |  reply

1. Photography is super fun. I don’t mean big fancy shmancy camera, I mean spur if the moment ‘let’s jump out of the car and take a picture by this statue’ with my 32.99 camera from wal mart type photography. You capture life at its finest moments that way.
    2. Game nights. It doesn’t matter if you are with family, friends or both- love game nights. Laughter will always be involved. Well, at least with me anyways. Favorite games: apples to apples, loaded questions, taboo, scattegories, and battle of the sexes.
    3. porch swings and rocking chairs. Love love love these things. You can always find peace on one of these.
    4. Road side fruit stands. I’ve read so many stories about how all the fruits and veggies and loaded with so much ‘bad stuff’ (can’t think of the right word here) so I love stopping on the side of the road to by tomatoes, watermelon and peaches. And not to mention they usually are the nicest people on earth. I’m hoping one day Billy Curringtons song ‘good directions’ will actually come true.
    Trampolines. I love trampolines. Although I have many scars and probably a few dents in my legs and head from falling off, I feel like a kid again. Free as a bird. Flips, twist, crack the egg or what ever. Free.

8. Tay
    posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 11:41 AM  |  reply

1. Annie Downs. Enough said.
    2. Holding babies. Especially sleeping babies. I hope this doesn’t sound creepy. πŸ™‚
    3. Reading blogs. Ah, I love blogs!
    4. Traveling to new places. It doesn’t take a lot to excite me, so even if were just going to a new restaurant a few towns over, that’s fun!
    5. Youth group trips. Everything about youth group trips are fun. Staying up all night. Getting lost. Having the bus break down on the side of the road. The pure exhaustion that makes everyone sleep on the bus. Oh yeah, that’s fun!

9. posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 12:02 PM  |  reply

Aw I love fun!
    1. Chasing food trucks.
    2. When you are going out to dinner with friends, and dinner turns into ice cream afterward, and ice cream afterward turns into an athletic competition in the parking lot, which turns into a late game night at someone’s house…
    3. Camping
    4. Bonfires on the beach
    5. Movie nights with popcorn and hot cocoa and someone to snuggle with.

10. posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM  |  reply

1. harmless and hilarious pranks
    2. getting dressed up to go…ANYWHERE
    3. disneyland. ’nuff said.
    4. friends. talking in the sunshine or in the rain. being with people who are like-minded in fellowship.
    5. serving the Lord with every inch of my heart. i dont know of anything else more fun than knowing hte JOY of the Lord!

11. Merideth
    posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:09 PM  |  reply

First of all, Thanks to whoever posted about the vintage nerf thing. I saw Steve comment about something like that on facebook, but didn’t quite follow. Sounds like they are having a blast with it,and I agree Steve is awesome/fun.
    When I first started reading your post, I thought this would be tough to come up with 5 things. Just because I don’t stop to think about what I’m actually doing when I’m having fun. Now, I cant’ stop thinking of things. so, here we go.
    1. Rollercoasters; The higher up they go and the faster they go the more fun they are to me. I love them, and the funny part is I used to be scared of them back when I was about 12. Then, a friend tricked me onto one, and I’ve loved them ever since.
    2. sports; Playing/watching sports is fun to me. But, baseball is my favorite.
    3. Surprises; Of any kind! Well, good things, I mean. Surprise parties and celebrations, surprise visits, surprise presents, etc. I like being on the recieving end and the giving end. So fun.
    4. laughing; Spcifically, laughing with friends so hard that tears come out and you think you are going to pee your pants.
    5. Weslye friends; Hanging out with friends in general is fun for me, but our Wesley friends are always tons of fun to be with(Amy, Michael, etc.).
    6. driving a wave-runner; I have to put a 6th because I actualy did this on a couple of retreats with a church group I used to be part of years ago, and it was awesome. Since you know I cant’ see, you know how interesting this probably was. So much fun for me! OH,and the 2 times I drove a car and couldn’t see where I was going. Email me if you want the stories.
    Too many others I can’t list! Christmas is fun on so many levels, and holiday baking specifically is one of my favorite things to do at that time of year. The beach(love your one about ice cream trips), tubing, hiking, youth group stuff, vacations, water guns, singing, etc. Too many wonderful things in the world that are fun!

12. Merideth
    posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM  |  reply

OH ya, I forgot one. Girls nights in or out, and especially doing girly makeovers/spa kinds of stuff.

13. Mattox Miller
    posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM  |  reply

I think it is fun to fish on the lake. Oceans not so. I am taking fly fishing lessons now.

14. posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM  |  reply

My top 5 fun things,
    Is it odd that this seemed hard for me to come up with? That seems wrong to me, I should be able to come up with this quickly right?

1. Girls Nights- especially the ones when no one HAS to go home at a certain time. When it’s nice and relaxed and all are hanging out laughing and goofing off.
    2. Starting new gym classes with friends- most of all when it’s something neither of you have done and it requires balance (did PiYo for the first time last night and we both almost fell over a few times!).
    3. Revolution (church) Ladies Bible Study- we laugh SO much during this!!
    4. Lake/Pool time in the summer – relaxing and hanging out.
    5. Massages- ok, so this is my selfish one- I had a car accident in June and have been getting a massage for an hour a week for the last few weeks, I’m going to have a really hard time when I β€œrecover” and have to stop this. Talk about relaxing and recharging. LOVE!
    6. I have to have 6 this time —I love working weddings with my best friend (photography) we have the best time even though it’s work and I NEVER have to share her with her husband during that time. We really get to reconnect and have girl time :o)

15. Stephanie
    posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 6:55 PM  |  reply

1. “Craft Mondays” This summer my friends and I have work schedules that allow us to get together on Mondays, work on projects, eat yummy food, & chat our hearts out. Perfectly fun for the soul! Though we’ve been known to have “Craft Monday” on Tuesday…which can be confusing. πŸ™‚

2. “Swim Fridays” This does not happen on a weekly basis at all. In fact… I think it has maybe happened three times all summer long. But they are fun!

3. Dreaming of ideas for baby showers for my married friends. I tell them their job is to have the babies & my job is to plan the parties. πŸ™‚

4. Pinterest. Hours of pinning fun. I get sucked into all the pretty, pretty ideas.

5. Hobby Lobby! It is my happy place.

Apparently, the theme of my summer is all about crafting. πŸ™‚

16. posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 7:33 PM  |  reply

1. Top 5 Friday!
    2. Laughing
    3. Playing sports
    4. Shopping
    5. Getting dressed up
    6. Eating peanut butter & fluff
    7. Good books
    8. My Westie, Roxie
    9. Dancing to great music
    10. Making this list longer than it should be

17. Mattox Miller
    posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:24 PM  |  reply

1. Fishing was my first fun thing, especially if you go on a pretty lake with a good friend.
    2.Photography and scrapbooking
    3.Harmless pranks and great jokes
    4. Dancing at weddings
    5. It is fun to dress up and go out anywhere.

18. posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 10:47 PM  |  reply

Okay, here we go….

1. Mafia is sooooo much fun! I sorta regret showing my sibs how to play because they played it all. day. long.
    2. Extensions! I love colored hair extensions and feathers(: I have all the stuff to put them in and I’m always dragging friends over to add some crazy colors to their hair!
    3. Yard Sales & Thrift Stores. I love vintage stuff. I also like discovering cool, cheap, unique stuff.
    4. Destroying books. Haha, my newest hobby is making book purses! Hopefully I shall set up a shop on Etsy soon(:
    5. The Icecream Show. I went there today for the first time and it was freakin awesome.

19. posted on Jul 16, 2011 at 12:27 AM  |  reply

[…] a comment Even though it’s Saturday, I’m playing along with Annie and listing 5 “favorite” things falling under the topic of “That’s […]

20. posted on Jul 17, 2011 at 3:35 PM  |  reply

This is such an awesome break from writing papers for grad a school.

1) Having traditions with friends. I know that ever halloween Roomie and I are going to get pumpkin spice lattes, carve Jack-o-Lanterns and watch Hocus Pocus and The Halloween Tree.
    2) Singing really loudly while I clean up the kitchen. It’s important that no one’s around for this particular bit of fun.
    3) Watching my students play. I mean the real unstructured play of kids. Even though they were too cool for school two minutes ago, set them free in a field with a ball, and it is the world’s most entertaining thing to watch.
    4) Staying up late so you get into the silly phase and then laughing until your face hurts.
    5) Bowling. I am a terrible bowler, but every time I go bowling it is a good time. There’s something about the shoes and the lights and table you all sit around while you wait your turn.

21. posted on Jul 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM  |  reply

Hi Annie,

I came over here after reading your beautiful post at (in)courage today.

I like the “Top 5 Friday” idea! So here are my fun things:
    1. Having friends to stay – that’s gotta be top of my list.

2. Singing to people.

3. Blogging.

4. Buying clothes.

5. Snow!!!

And I would say “Happy Friday”, but it’s Saturday here now!

22. Laura
    posted on Aug 03, 2011 at 7:46 AM  |  reply

I know this is a little late, but oh well…

1) Rollercoasters
    2) Shopping
    3) Zumba (and Zumba-thons)
    4) Photography