Top 5 Friday: Meet Lois.

on July 22, 2011 in TOP 5 FRIDAY with 17 comments by

Y’all are gonna love this. My friend here, Lois, asked if she could do the Top 5 Friday post. I don’t know if this was to stay up past bedtime at camp or what, but I’m actually ridiculously impressed with her blogginess. Also, she knows me well, as you will be able to see. Can’t wait to hear your responses in the comments!

. . . . . . . . . .

Hello, I’m Lois, and I’m a camper at the Youth Camp where Annie is speaking this week in Scotland. I came up with a Top 5 Friday idea that I had to tell Annie before I completely forgot my brainchild, and after telling her she said: “You can write it!” So here we are.

To go with the camp theme, I came up with Top 5 Camp Quotes! Basically, it’s the 5 funniest and meaningful things I’ve heard this week, be it from Annie or from other campers. Let’s do this…

1) A pop quiz….

Annie – “So what animals roar?”
Everybody – “LIONS!”
Lois – “Sheep!”
Annie – “Oh. Wow. Hey, Lois, how’s school goin’ for ya?

So, let me give you a bit of back story for each of these quotes, in order for y’all [look at me, I’m in with the American lingo] to understand the context in which the quote came about. As you know, Annie is our speaker this week and the theme is Unlock My Roar so it only makes sense to ask what animals roar. I see the question as an opportunity for Teacher Annie to make an appearance. So Annie asked this and I was in fits of laughter, not because I was embarrassed by saying ‘Sheep’ but because I graduated from high school last month so I guess you could say school ain’t going too well.

2) Jordan- “There ain’t no party like a Holy Ghost party, cuz a Holy Ghost party don’t stop!”

Some of you guys might know the song from which this phrase comes [I learned that Cory Asbury is the artist behind it]. I didn’t ever hear this  and until hearing the song last night, I thought Jordan had made the phrase up herself! Jordan is an inspirational girl who has just recently returned from the States and she, along with three other campers here, participated in Riverstone’s Summer Camp. The camp over in the USA is what I like to call the mother camp of this week here in Scotland. Our camp has been going for five years and every year we are blessed with such a committed team of people from Riverstone and StoneBridge church who are so inspirational to my fellow campers and I. [I’m getting deep, I was saving that for the end. Sorry ’bout it]

3) Annie – “You can never be free if you don’t talk about your chains.”

Can I get an Amen? Annie spoke about this on Monday night and the Lord pulled on my heart-strings and told me there and then to get prayer about what’s been holding me back from Him. Since Camp 2010 ended last year, my relationship with the Lord has been rocky and thanks to Annie’s inspirational words this week, I can gladly say God and I are back. on. track.

4) This isn’t a quote as much, but it’s something I think is quite a serious yet silly argument. I want y’all to tell me in the comments whether or not you think pancakes and crumpets are the same thing. For those of you unfamiliar with a crumpet, it’s a flatter version of a pancake with holes in it. If you want my personal opinion, I like crumpets better. Some of the younger campers and I were having this debate over lunch as we ate crumpets/pancakes/whatever you wanna call ’em. We wanted to get it clear so that the Americans went home proudly saying they knew their crumpets from their pancakes. [I just stopped and looked back at that paragraph thinking “Annie’s readers are going to be like “Whaaaaat on earth is this girl talking about?” I’m not usually this crazy, just ask Annie.]

[Hi. This is Annie. Yes, Lois is this crazy. And I’m loving this post so far. I now return you to your regularly scheduled blogger….]

And finally…

5) Annie – “When I look at you, Lois, I see someone who is a joy to be around and I see a leader.”

This meant a lot to me. When spending time with the Lord on Monday, He gave me a phrase that literally made my jaw drop. He said : “Learn today, for one day you shall guide, one day you shall lead.” I was scared to share this with anyone that day, and took the day to think about it and try to take some meaning from it. If there’s anything I’m passionate about, drama and leadership are definitely up at the top of my list [next to Irn Bru, I’m really passionate about Irn Bru]. I mentioned earlier that I graduated high school back in June, I’m taking this summer to get myself back on track and ready to head to Liverpool in September to study drama [if I get the grades. I’ll let Annie know how I do on August 4th]. Leadership is always something I’ve been interested in, I love to teach people things and guide them with situations; the feeling of accomplishment when I learn that my guidance has impacted somebody’s life just makes me want to guide more and more. Annie saying this to me has really touched my heart this week, and this is going to act as a great transition into my conclusion-ending-thingy.

Since I last saw Annie back in July of 2008, she has done wonderful things. As a reader of this blog myself, I’ve read her adventures as she’s moved to Nashville, written and published a book and even attended the Grammy’s. [Have I read her book? No. But it’s on my list of books to read over the next 12 months, next to the 11 books I got a list of earlier!]

I love Annie for what she’s done to my life this week, really really love her. Our friendship means a lot to me and having her in Scotland to talk to about what the Lord has shown me this week has been amazing. Annie Downs, you are my hero. [I know she’s going to see that last sentence. She has to format this because I reaaaaaally don’t know how. Hi WordPress, I’m new.]

[Thanks, Lois. I love you too. For realz.]

So tell me, what are the top five funny or inspirational things you’ve heard this week? Also, Crumpets and Pancakes: Are they the same? I need to know!

It’s been great guest-posting this week, but I better dash…lights out was an hour ago.

-Lois 🙂

1. Debs
    posted on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:17 AM  |  reply

Hi Lois!Great job on the infamous Top 5! It was great to see your picture too!Pancakes or crumpets? I have never had a crumpet..so I will have to come back to Scotland and then weigh in! Top 5 for me this week is actually 6 words that are like a billboard in my head ever since I read them, and the best part is that they came from the mouth of Jesus…”He has no hold on me”! (from John 14:30)…I feel like I am supposed to “quote this” relentlessly to help people be “set free” because if Christ is in you, the devil has no hold on you either! Again, great job Lois!

2. posted on Jul 22, 2011 at 5:33 AM  |  reply

Hi Lois and Annie! You two are so cute. I’m so bad at remembering quotes. The only things that come to mind are the Ethanisms my youngest used to come up with daily. But that’s not what you asked for. So, I’ll be interested in reading every one else’s quotes. And if crumpets are like pancakes only with holes I’d have to go with crumpets. My theory is the more crispy edges the better; hence I love funnel cakes, but elephant ears, not so much. Annie, please explain funnel cakes and elephant ears to her. And who is Irn Bru? I need to google that.

3. posted on Jul 22, 2011 at 7:08 AM  |  reply

crumpets and pancakes are completely different (in Australia anyway)! Crumpets are smaller and fatter and more rubbery and filled with holes…but only on the top, the bottom is flat. And they taste more ‘stringy’ than pancakes (but in a good way). mmmm. See: http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUMQ8c7Oftqpne7gAVE_UDQuOgbweSOHpQw6jNT3VVcKZtJ9EE

4. ann
    posted on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:08 AM  |  reply

Recently made crumpets with a friend using little crumpet rings. From that experience i think crumpets are the same as Australian muffins as opposed to English muffins. Pancakes in America are thick, but in Australia are the same as crepes….

Enjoyed the post…

5. Amy Carpenter
    posted on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM  |  reply

ahhh i love this! and I love both you guys! and I miss you a TON. I know camp was awesome and the Lord moved powerfully through you, Annie! And Lois, you are a leader. The Lord has an incredible journey in store for you 😉

6. Laura
    posted on Jul 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM  |  reply

Lois, that was amazing. Not only because it’s you, but we had a lot of the same faves this week. I am so proud if you sharing and seeing what the Lord has done in you this week has been incredible. Love you both.

7. posted on Jul 22, 2011 at 10:33 AM  |  reply

HA! Lois you and wordpress need to become close friends so that I can read all that you write. The Lord will do great things in your life. (more than this week). Love YOU!

8. posted on Jul 22, 2011 at 1:55 PM  |  reply

I think this post is both hilarious and well-timed, because I just got back from my week at camp. It was good and hard and amazing.

Some of my favorite quotes:
    1. Don’t be inapropro. One of our student leaders shortened the words of every single rule to make up a catchy phrase.
    2. We should have started the sermons with “You just think it’s hot here. Wait until you spend an eternity without Jesus” (our temps ranged from 103 – 105 every day).
    3. I’ve had it. When everyone else is asleep, I’m getting in my golf cart and driving home.
    4. I don’t know who you are, but I like your style. (Cute boy said that to me. No matter that I am old enough to be his fourth grade teacher.)
    5. This whole month God has been preparing us for things we didn’t know were going to happen. It all makes sense now.

9. Mattox Miller
    posted on Jul 22, 2011 at 1:56 PM  |  reply

I think crumpets and pancakes are different in texture and taste. Crumpets to me are more like a fried english muffin. And a pancake is more fluffy on the inside and smooth on the outside.

10. Rachel
    posted on Jul 22, 2011 at 2:01 PM  |  reply

great guest post!

crumpets & pancakes: not the same!

i studied abroad in Scotland (Aberdeen) for a semester at university and had crumpets with eggs and cheese on top most mornings (don’t knock it ’til you try it). by the end of the semester, my flatmates were doing the same thing!

11. posted on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM  |  reply

I’m not here to compile a top 5 list. I am here to tell you that this post made me exceedingly happy. Lois is an excellent guest blogger and I tots think she should be back.

Also, are crumpets kind of like crepes? For some reason, I though crumpets were like scones, but what do I know?

12. Jolene
    posted on Jul 22, 2011 at 9:47 PM  |  reply

On pancakes and crumpets: I’m an english gal (english because I was born and lived in England until I was 10 and gal because I then moved to Georgia!) and I must say that crumpets and pancakes really are nothing alike…except that they are made of flour and eggs…pancakes are def much sweeter and flatter, while crumpets are thicker and have a different texture…and I love them!

13. posted on Jul 23, 2011 at 7:29 AM  |  reply

Just found your blog through In Courage! Love it!

• VA
      posted on Jul 23, 2011 at 8:17 AM  |  reply

@Nina,
      In courage and Annieblogs are both awesome!! In courage is blocked on Best Buy’s wifi though due to “religious content” 🙁

14. posted on Jul 23, 2011 at 1:22 PM  |  reply

Tea & Crumpets…that’s all i know. They go together like peas in a pod. The only people who say tea & crumpets are british, and since i’m american, i only know the saying. However, i’m pretty sure that crumpets are not pancakes. Who drinks tea with pancakes? That doesn’t make sense. I think pancakes and crumpets are COMPLETELY two different things.

15. Sarah
    posted on Jul 23, 2011 at 6:24 PM  |  reply

Aren’t crumpets british? You know “Oh, i think i’ll have some tea and crumpets, pip pip, cherio!”
    But obviously, i was wrong (ha ha!)
    Anywho, i ain’t got the first clue what a crumpet looks like, tastes like, feels like or smells like. That’s pretty cool they’re in Scotland though!
    It sounds like God is moving in amazing ways over there with all of ya’ll! It sounds beautiful. And Lois, you’re hilarious! And a deep thinker and I thank Jesus Christ that you found Him again! I’ve really been bambarded with the world this week, with all the unbelief and God-bashing, and it makes my heart glad to know God is still working and finding us sheep! YAY!!!
    My only problem is trying to match the words with a scottish accent. I’m from Georgia, so you sounded southern. Sorry!
    He he!
    Is that odd?

16. posted on Jul 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM  |  reply

Crumpets sound lovely! I will have to try to make them someday soon. So great to hear from you Lois!

Oh.. and the best quote from my week comes in picture form… http://instagr.am/p/IiFGX/